What's new

Opinions on a jura impressa f7 espresso machine ?

Should I upgrade to the Jura Impressa F7 ?

• Yes, definitely !

• No, you should choose another machine (suggestions are welcome)

• No, you should keep your Saeco Aroma

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'd like to get feedback on my temptation to upgrade my espresso machine.

I currently own a Saeco Aroma "manual" espresso machine. The stainless one with round silver buttons. IIRC, I bought this machine almost 10 years ago. It works like a brand new one, but unfortunatelu I'm using my Keurig machine more and more as I'm often in a rush these days.

Paired it with a Breville Conical Burr Grinder.

I've got an eye on a Jura Impressa F7 automatic machine. Available with 350$ off at Costco.ca for the next 2 days. It's $1,449.99 CAD +tx (roughly $1,225 USD) including shipping.

It's a lot of dough (even if my budget allows it) and I don't know if it's a good idea. I can always return it to Costco if I get remorse or if I don't like the product.

I rarely froth milk (once a week maybe), so the fact that there is a manual swith to flick to get milk is not a deal breaker for me.

Anybody got opinion on this ? Is it stupid to spend that amount on a machine when I have a perfectly working manual machine (a mostly unused one these days) ?

Thanks !

If I were an infrequent espresso drinker I would second guess any thought of upgrading. But if that was due to lack of time to prepare coffee and I wanted replace my Keurig, I would be very tempted to buy an automatic. 1stinCoffee.com has a lineup of Jura refurbished units, but they don't ship internationally.

Juras make the best espresso of the super auto machines I have tried. Keep on top of the filters and cleaning tabs and it should be good - plus you have Costco backing you up.

Replacing a working machine isn't stupid if the difference is coffee or no coffee. In my opinion, a Jura with fresh coffee is not even in the same ballpark as your Keurig. I predict a shift in your drinking habits with the switch, so go for it!

Last edited:
It sounds like you're really looking for convenience as a primary value. You liked the Saeco espresso machine, but find yourself using the Keurig because you're more frequently pressed for time. The logic behind the Jura machine is that you can upgrade the quality of your coffee without sacrificing convenience. Is that stated correctly?

My own take on this is that any of the super automatics are going to require maintenance and care taking if used regularly (see Gig103's recommendation above). If you're looking for convenience, then you have to take this into account. Plus, they're way more mechanically and electrically complex than other cheaper ways to get a good cup of coffee. Many things to go wrong when one combines a grinder and coffee maker into a single unit. I have a strong preference to keeping these things apart.

That said, I read the reviews from actual owners and they seem to love it. Among coffee geeks, it's common to hear the quality of coffee from the super autos dissed, but a friend of mine who owns an Elektra lever machine and has started roasting his own beans (in other words, he cares about his coffee) had an espresso from a Super A recently and raved about it. Costco's got a great return policy, so give it a shot. Then report back with photos. If all you want is to push a button and go, these are pretty much the only option for a better cup of coffee.

Keep on top of the filters and cleaning tabs and it should be good - plus you have Costco backing you up.
Good point !

It sounds like you're really looking for convenience as a primary value. You liked the Saeco espresso machine, but find yourself using the Keurig because you're more frequently pressed for time. The logic behind the Jura machine is that you can upgrade the quality of your coffee without sacrificing convenience. Is that stated correctly?
Exactly.

My own take on this is that any of the super automatics are going to require maintenance and care taking if used regularly (see Gig103's recommendation above). If you're looking for convenience, then you have to take this into account. Plus, they're way more mechanically and electrically complex than other cheaper ways to get a good cup of coffee. Many things to go wrong when one combines a grinder and coffee maker into a single unit. I have a strong preference to keeping these things apart.
Good point. At least, I can do the maintenance on the evening, while I drink less coffee and have more time.

Great feedback. I'm thinking more and more about ordering the machine and comparing to my Saeco. Costco is less than 5 km from home if I need to return the machine and if anything go wrong in the future, I have an authorized Saeco and Jura repair center right behind where I work...

Decided to order the Jura F7. Will see if it's a keeper or not. Thanks for the feedback. I will update this thread when I receive it.

You really can't poll to answer such questions anyway. I wouldn't recommend a superauto but I can't stand what they produce. That said, many do like them because the value the convenience.

Is it stupid to spend that amount on a machine when I have a perfectly working manual machine (a mostly unused one these days) ?
You already made your decision but it's also your call to make. My espresso machine was working fine and I upgraded from it to another semiauto. You have to do what works for you.

Last edited:
You already made your decision but it's also your call to make.
I should receive the machine tomorrow. We'll see if it's a keeper.

Thanks for you input. And by the way, you're right that the poll doesn't make sense, but I can't remove it.

I received the machine this afternoon.

I've tried all the options and everything seems to work well. I will have to calibrate the settings to my taste.

My first impressions are good. My favorite setting right now is the double ristretti shots.

The milk frother works really well also.

I will update when I have more mileage on it.

Daily espresso drinker. My first super automatic was a Jura Impressa. I had a lot of problems. I passed it on to my daughter, and replaced it with a Gaggia Platinum. And then added another; we're nuts and need a separate machine for decaf.

The bypass feature on the Jura was the biggest disappointment.

Daily espresso drinker. My first super automatic was a Jura Impressa. I had a lot of problems. I passed it on to my daughter, and replaced it with a Gaggia Platinum. And then added another; we're nuts and need a separate machine for decaf.

The bypass feature on the Jura was the biggest disappointment.
What's wrong with the bypass ? Or what bad should I expect with it ?

Thanks for you input.

Okay, time for an update.

I love the machine. It's really convenient. It can make a good cup of coffee quickly without making a mess.

It's as quick and easy as a Keurig or a Nespresso machine, which was my #1 requirement.

Love the simplicity of this machine and it seems to make consistent results.

It's not cheap, though. But it's cheaper to run than a Nespresso machine, which I almost bought before calculating the operating costs.

I don't think it's the perfect machine for everybody, but it fits my requirements and I think I will keep it.

I will give my old Saeco to my brother and my Keurig to my mother. Both will be very happy.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

I love the machine. It's really convenient. It can make a good cup of coffee quickly without making a mess.

It's as quick and easy as a Keurig or a Nespresso machine, which was my #1 requirement.

Love the simplicity of this machine and it seems to make consistent results.

It's not cheap, though. But it's cheaper to run than a Nespresso machine, which I almost bought before calculating the operating costs.

I don't think it's the perfect machine for everybody, but it fits my requirements and I think I will keep it.

I will give my old Saeco to my brother and my Keurig to my mother. Both will be very happy.

I like that you investigated operating costs. Value vs. price. It will take maintenance to go the distance.

Yesterday, I brewed my 200th drink with this machine and did my first cleaning process.

I'm quite happy with the taste of the coffee I make with this machine.

It's dead simple to operate, it's fast and doesn't make a mess.

It is not cheap and the cleaning cost is on the high side, but still lower than using a big amount of capsules like I did before.

I would recommend this machine to somebody who wants a quick espresso, but you need to have the budget.

Glad you are enjoying the brews and it looks like a winner from an economic and environmental point of view. Thanks for the update. Just think about the 2000th or 20Kth drink months and years from now...I hope it will continue to provide good service.

I'm glad to hear you are loving the machine. And with 200 shots in under a month, the word "loving" certainly feels apropos.

Did you buy Jura cleaning tabs, or generics like Cafiza, or maybe even the bulk jar?

And yes these machines are expensive, but when you compare them to $2+ espresso and $4+ lattes at retail coffee shops, you will break even in no time. I know you have clearly done the math, I figured I would point it out for others who come across this thread in the future.

Top Bottom