What's new

Captain's Choice Sandalwood Soap First Impressions

I had ordered Captain's Choice Sandalwood Soap last week when it first became available. I got it this morning and just finished shaving with it.

My first impressions are that just like his new Bay Rum soap this soap performs excellently. It lathered easily with good slickness and protection. I got a close, irritation free shave with it. I still need to dial it in a bit, as it seems to be able to handle a lot of water, I will add even more next time. I loaded my Grooming Co. synthetic brush for about 18 sec. and was able to make tons of lather. Way more than I needed for 3 passes and a touchup.

The Sandalwood scent is good but I though it was a bit light, at least to my nose. It certainly was not over powering. It faded quickly after the shave. I splashed on some Captain's Choice Sandalwood aftershave and brought the scent back nicely.

Oh and as a side note his new packaging is spot on, it looks good and you can easily load your brush without flinging soap everywhere.

Well done Cap... :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Pretty much how I view the CC Sandalwood soap. I LOVE the Captain's scent of Sandalwood and I really wish it was a bit stronger. But it is hard to mess with perfection. Maybe the Captain will work on a Cologe based on his Sandalwood.

Don

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Pretty much how I view the CC Sandalwood soap. I LOVE the Captain's scent of Sandalwood and I really wish it was a bit stronger. But it is hard to mess with perfection. Maybe the Captain will work on a Cologe based on his Sandalwood.

Don

I'm right with ya, great products. Could use more cowbell (scent) but I think cat o'nine tails is just right.
(Maybe the Captain will work on a Cologe based on his Sandalwood. ) sign me up:thumbup:

Dittos to most of this. The Captain offered a few pre-release tubs of his sandalwood and I was quick enough to get one. He made it abundantly clear up front those came in a smaller jar than they eventually would. I've been scooping some out and smeaing a very small dollop into one of his lather bowls and I'm impressed. The performance is top notch and so is the scent. When the rest are released I'm going to order them all plus the matching aftershaves.

Dittos to most of this. The Captain offered a few pre-release tubs of his sandalwood and I was quick enough to get one. He made it abundantly clear up front those came in a smaller jar than they eventually would. I've been scooping some out and smeaing a very small dollop into one of his lather bowls and I'm impressed. The performance is top notch and so is the scent. When the rest are released I'm going to order them all plus the matching aftershaves.
You can't go wrong!

I've got a tub of this, as well as a full sized bottle of the matching aftershave, on its way from Maggard. I've never been much of a Sandalwood fan in general, but my brother got me the Captain's Choice aftershave sample pack for Christmas, and their Sandalwood was surprisingly one of my favorites! I've generally had better luck with tallow based soaps (Strop Shoppe SE is my #1,) so hopefully I'll enjoy this vegan soap variety.

My tub arrived today, and boy does this stuff lather easily! As others have said before, the scent isn't overpowering, but it's still that glorious Captain's Choice take on Sandalwood, which IMHO is the best take on it. I look forward to actually shaving with it, as today I only did a test lather.

Top Bottom