What's new

A.G. Russell Chef knives, anyone have experience with these?

I know another dreaded knife thread. :001_huh:

I was wondering if anyone had used or personally checked these stainless damascus knives out?

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_purpose/cooking/a_g_russell_damascus_10_bread_knife_cocobolo.html

I'm leaning toward the 6" Chef's knife for general chopping and of course to show off with. :wink: I've never had a really good kitchen knife before so any and all suggestions are welcome from techniques to other brands in the same +/- $80.00 range.

I do have a couple smaller knives in the VG-10 stainless so I know how to sharpen this finicky metal and love the edge I can achieve.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Everyone has a different preference, but 6" is really small for a chef's knife. What's more, it's a mere 3 ounces- very insubstantial.

VG-10 is a great all around steel for a shef's knife, and not hard at all to sharpen. Still, for that price, you're within spittin' distance of a high quality knife.

Try this site-

www.japanesechefsknife.com

I agree with OUCH and most of my kitchen knives are VG-10 Steel. I wouldn't be surprised if these knives aren't made by Kershaw (KAI). With the exception of the handles, they look much like my SHUN knives.

Personally, I like using a 6" chef knife more than an 8". However, the 8" will cover more of the larger vegetables and cuts of meat.

Everyone has a different preference, but 6" is really small for a chef's knife. What's more, it's a mere 3 ounces- very insubstantial.

How embarassing for me. :blushing: And here I though 6" was average. :biggrin:

I do prefer smaller knives, I currently use a 2.5" Gerber I got free with a multi plier in the kitchen, but the 3 oz weight does sound on the light side. I'll check into that website.

Yeah, I just got Norman Weinstein's book on knife skills. He recommends a 10" if you can handle it comfortably, but nothing less than 8 inches. Of course, if you're not using "proper" technique then it's probably all moot.

I think Russell is trying for a thin, flexible chef's knife. I prefer some heft, though.

VG-10 is a great all around steel for a shef's knife, and not hard at all to sharpen. Still, for that price, you're within spittin' distance of a high quality knife.

Try this site-

www.japanesechefsknife.com

I've been researching, OK drooling over, that website for a few weeks now. I think I have my knife picked out, but want/need more opinions before I throw down that large of a chunk of my change on something other than a razor, or liquor.

I keep coming back to the page below and the beautiful ivory Corian handled damascus knives. Right now I'm leaning towards the 180mm 190gram chef's knife. Any advice?

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SHIKIDamascusSeries.html

These look like the Kershaw/Shun knives. I have the 6" chef and the 9" bread knives in the Shun Classic set, and they are excellent knives. I also have Henkel's 5 star, and Cutco knives in my kitchen(I like good tools), but I use the Shuns the most. They respond to a steel better than the Cutcos, and sharpen easier than the 5 stars. Just my opinion, but I think you could do a lot worse than the A.G. Russell stuff. I have bought a lot of pocket knives from them, good people to to business with.

Larry

ouch

I've been researching, OK drooling over, that website for a few weeks now. I think I have my knife picked out, but want/need more opinions before I throw down that large of a chunk of my change on something other than a razor, or liquor.

I keep coming back to the page below and the beautiful ivory Corian handled damascus knives. Right now I'm leaning towards the 180mm 190gram chef's knife. Any advice?

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SHIKIDamascusSeries.html

It's really hard to go wrong dealing with Koki at JCK. I'm not a big fan of corian handles (well, okay, I like these: http://www.korin.com/models.php?cat...&subcatname=Nenohi&subsubcatname=Nenox+Corian) but those look very nice. I never tried a Shiki, but just about everything they carry is top notch. Be advised that when it comes to damascus knives, the pattern is often not nearly as pronounced as in the pictures, and you'll want to take extra care not to scratch the beautiful sides of the blade when you cook, clean, or shapen it.

Well it came in today. Incredibly fast shipping, 5 days from Japan!

Here it is with my former kitchen workhorse in the background.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I must say it is every bit as beautiful as the pictures, maybe moreso, and the damascus pattern is very attractive and shows up well.

What is the general wisdom about using a wooden knife block to store these? I can imagine abrasion to the sides upon insertion and removal, but maybe these are more durable than I think.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Just flip it upside down (edge up) and you'll be fine. It doesn't seem to be a 420J2 laminiate like my Spyderco Calypso Jr ZDP was, so I don't think the outers will scratch

ouch

Well it came in today. Incredibly fast shipping, 5 days from Japan!

Here it is with my former kitchen workhorse in the background.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I must say it is every bit as beautiful as the pictures, maybe moreso, and the damascus pattern is very attractive and shows up well.

What is the general wisdom about using a wooden knife block to store these? I can imagine abrasion to the sides upon insertion and removal, but maybe these are more durable than I think.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Outstanding purchase. I have to admit, the knife looks much better than it does as advertised on JCK's site. It's a beaut.
JCK is an amazing operation. I can't believe how fast they get you their product from completely around the world.

Enjoy!

I like the knife, How are you going to sharpen it? <evil grin>

I may invest in a stone in the future, but for now I have a Spyderco tri-angle sharpmaker that seems to work well for me. As long as I take my time I can get some very good edges. It came scary sharp!

Top Bottom