What's new

Lather Problem After Weeks of Great Lather

A month or so ago I settled on D.R. Harris Marlborough for my blade testing because it lathered so nicely and provided a slick solution with nice cushion. I've had some GREAT shaves with this soap.

Today I decided to try a different razor, so set up everything else with known-good options: DR Harris, Gillette Black Beauty, and my normal brush. Only today, I could not get the soap to lather.

My normal step is to pour some hot water onto the bowl and soak the brush in hot water just as I get into the shower. I then shake out the brush and pour out the water from the bowl, load up the brush and whip the soap into a great lather. Today is the second time that I've been unable to produce any meaningful lather from this soap, and I'm confused as to what happened.

The one thing I did do differently was to pour out the water from the bowl, then pour in some hot water in an effort to warm up the soap a bit. I don't recall ever doing that before, and I noticed that pouring out the first bit of water also seemed to pour out the gooey film that formed on top of the soap. Is that my problem? Is the gooey slime the secret to great lather?

the term "gooey film" is one important word ! That is real soapie

I try to be precise with my language. :)

Thinking about it more, I always pour off the water, so the gooey film would always be gone... at least most of it. Maybe I need to go experiment.

I have my puck of Marlborough in a mug. While the brush soaks in the scuttle, I dribble a little water on the puck to soak in.

Works very well for my hard English soaps.

What's killing me is the fact that usually the lather just explodes after about 20-30 seconds of swirling. This time it was just a dud.

Today I attacked the problem with science.

All tests were done with D.L. Harris Marlborough and the same badger brush that I've used for every DE shave.

Test 1: Soak puck, soak brush. Drain puck, shake brush once: Success!
Test 2: Soak puck, soak brush. Drain puck, shake brush three times: Fail!
Test 3: Dry puck, soak brush. Drain puck, shake brush three times: Fail!
Test 4: Dry puck, soak brush. Shake brush once: Success!

I think test #2 must have been what I did when I had no lather the other day.

The cool part of this test is the fact that I can stop soaking the puck since it seems to have no bearing on the end result. I may continue to do it since it makes the soap a tad warmer, which is nice until I get my scuttle. As an interesting observation, wet soap lathers quickly, but it's very bubbly and I have to whip it more to get a fine lather. Dry soap with a properly wet brush is where the magic happens.

Not enough water in the brush maybe?

Winner!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Using Tabac as a example ( I have hard water ) I soak the brush and while it is dripping wet I put it on the puck. Water puddles on the puck and I swirl until the brush "drinks up" the puddle and a lot of soap with it. Then to the bowl and swirl to generate lather. Almost always, I have to add more water to get the lather I want. Notice I start with a "dripping" wet brush.

I soak my brush , and pour enough HOT water to cover my soap and let it sit while I shower. Then I shake and squeeze my brush until it is almost dry and pour the water out of the puck. Load brush for at least 30 seconds maybe more until I have more than enough soap on the brush. Go to bowl and start the lather, dpiping fingertips is water until lather explodes from the bowl. Been doing this method for over a year now and I always have too much lather , but it's always a thick creamy lather easily enough for 2 shaves maybe.

Top Bottom