What's new

Thinking Straights are not for me :

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
So I got pif'd a king cutter and while I really want to shave with it I have noticed since the first time I tried shaving with it my nerves are getting the best of me. I can do my cheeks and that's it before my hand's start shaking like crazy. Any tips or should I just admit that straight razor shaving might not be for me?

You'll receive tons of tips, but ultimately it may not be for you. Nor does it have to be. Shaving with a straight certainly has an air of overwhelming testosterone attached to it, but it doesn't make you cooler, let alone better, than anyone who employs any of the other advanced techniques of our hobby. I don't think you'll ever hear someone say, "I'm a complete failure- no matter what I do, I simply can't master the single bevel kamisori." Finding what works for you, whether it's a DE vs. SE, a particular brand of blade, or soap vs. cream, is not only the most important thing, it's the only important thing, since you only have to please yourself. Having said that, there is a considerable learning curve to using a straight with any degree of proficiency. In my case, it was pretty steep. I wouldn't give up just yet.

As for advice, here's my two cents that is admittedly counter intuitive and contrary to conventional thinking-
Many people will tell you to start with a straight, do as much as you can, and then finish off with a DE or whatever your usual choice of weapon happens to be. I'd suggest the reverse. Do a complete shave in your normal manner (or at least one full pass), then try another pass with your straight. This way, you can concentrate on gliding the blade across your skin without cutting yourself instead of focusing on removing whiskers. Do this with as little pressure as possible until you find the required angles and hand positions, and are comfortable that you're not going to hurt yourself . After that, it will be a lot easier to find the pressure required to shave.

I have noticed my fear of straights is not slicing my face off but the fact that is a square point so im trading my king cutter and when I have some cash will be getting a round point!

Or you can simply soften the point. I have no hair on face or head so no need for sculpting. I have softened all my pointy razors. It is not hard to do.

Or you can simply soften the point. I have no hair on face or head so no need for sculpting. I have softened all my pointy razors.

Not sure how to do that but I am sending it out Tuesday to another B&Ber and then it's waiting time till I have money for a straight and a strop

Then simply ask him to do it. Very easy and you can't tell looking at the razor if done properly.

If I get another square point I will do that but this one is part of a trade I have with another member. He gave me a slim and a black handle super speed for it :)

If I get another square point I will do that but this one is part of a trade I have with another member. He gave me a slim and a black handle super speed for it :)

You will love the Slim. I keep fooling around with straights out of curiosity but the fact of the matter is that I doubt I will ever get a better shave with a straight that's better than the BBS I get with a Slim. And with a Slim I don't have to worry about stropping or proper drying after a shave. I just rinse it and hang it on its stand. Wish there were straights that didn't have to be kept dry and wiped so carefully.

My first few shaves took forever and I had shaky hands. These days I don't even have to think about it. It'll come with time!

speaking with zero straight razor experience but a lot of blade experience in general.
I would get to know the blade first. Shave up your forearms and see how that goes. Or the backs of your hands.

"Wish there were straights that didn't have to be kept dry and wiped so carefully."

There are, look at a vintage Friodur Inox by Henckels that are easy to maintain shave ready and very rust and stain resistant. Just rinse, wipe dry, and strop.

I have nine of them from 4/8 to 7/8 width and they are all fine performing shavers.

HTH

Last edited:
"Wish there were straights that didn't have to be kept dry and wiped so carefully."

There are, look at a vintage Friodur Inox by Henckels that are easy to maintain shave ready and very rust and stain resistant. Just rinse, wipe dry, and strop.

I have nine of them from 4/8 to 7/8 width and they are all fine performing shavers.

HTH

Does it have to say Friodur Inox? Is it specifically the one with the Twins markings? And are these less rust prone but still need to have the scales wiped and dried carefully between shaves? For some reason, I really hate that part of the shaving ritual and always feel paranoid that I haven't been thorough when putting away my razors.

Top Bottom