What's new

Thinking Straights are not for me :

So I got pif'd a king cutter and while I really want to shave with it I have noticed since the first time I tried shaving with it my nerves are getting the best of me. I can do my cheeks and that's it before my hand's start shaking like crazy. Any tips or should I just admit that straight razor shaving might not be for me?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Just about all of us were nervous starting out. Don't force yourself to use it until you feel you are ready. In the meanwhile, practive holding it and make "fake WTG passes" about and inch or so off of your cheeks.

So I got pif'd a king cutter and while I really want to shave with it I have noticed since the first time I tried shaving with it my nerves are getting the best of me. I can do my cheeks and that's it before my hand's start shaking like crazy. Any tips or should I just admit that straight razor shaving might not be for me?

You're psyching yourself out. Just relax and go for it.

You're psyching yourself out. Just relax and go for it.

THIS.

I am only 19 shaves into my Straight journey, so I can relate. Taking that naked steel across your skin for the first time is a very nervy thing to do for most folks. But it DOES get easier. I actually found that I was steadier with my left hand than my dominant right hand. whether this was because it forced me to concentrate more on the process rather than the risk of injury, I cannot say. It is starting to balance out now in favour of my right hand, but you may find that starting out leftie helps you get by the nervousness. After all, if you can do it left handed, then the right should be much easier, right?

DO NOT QUIT !!!

Try this litany:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little cut that brings pink lather.
I will face my razor.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the razor has gone there will be nothing.
Only skin will remain.

Worked for me.

When I started, the movie Sweeney Todd was fresh in my mind, so to get over the fear I closed the razor and brushed it against my neck and face when sitting by my computer, and my nerves were gone after about a month and a half.

Shaking is normal, fear of the unknown. One thing for sure is that you are being cautious due to your fear; caution is good. Caution will turn into respect. It's later on that you should worry, because later on respect will sometimes be neglected for complacency. The problem there is that you don't realize complacency till you put a 1" gash along your cheek. Stick with it, it's a lot of fun. Stay cautious!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Like the others have said, it happens to a lot of us. I was nervous when I first shaved with a straight. I became more confident after a few shaves, then I gave myself a decent cut. I got nervous again for a few shaves after that, but after a while, all of the nervousness goes away. The intimidation factor will subside with practice. Just shave as much as you're comfortable with. You'll gain confidence after a while as long as you keep it up.

Like most things, it's an equilibrium that is needed...

Being mindful is not being fearful
being fearful prevents one from being mindful...
doing things with expediency, does not mean rushed
rushing things rarely lead to expediency.

all good advice....if all your doing is your cheeks, then just keep doing your cheeks...at one point you'll feel good enough to make the turn down to the jawline and below...and then that will get easier...then your chin and upper lip.

I'm 6 shaves in to my straight journey...I did cheeks only at first, but now I'm up to two north/south passes on my whole face....my lower neck and my upper lip are the spots that make me most nervous but even there I'm getting better every day.....this weekend, when I have the time, I'm considering going with a modified XTG pass and see how that goes.

Each shave gets a little closer, with a less irritation and less weepers...I'm yet to have a completely blood free straight shave, but nothing that a styptic pencil or even just a cold rinse/witch hazel hasn't taken care of. My first run with straights was probably 5 months ago with a Weck razor and I did get myself good with it, a nice gash on my upper cheek when I tried my right hand on the left cheek...after that I said "this is not for me" and went back to my DE's....seeing all the beautiful straights just kept nagging at me and actually the thought of using straights is what got me into DE shaving.

I'm still not even considering an ATG pass, but sooner or later it will happen....just do what you're comfortable with before you know it, you'll be doing more and more....I'd say just stick with it...you've already stepped in.

I almost quit a couple of weeks ago, but have accepted only getting partial shaves and still enjoying it. I mostly just do sides/cheeks, upper lip and some of my jaw and my neck. The chin area seems out of my capabilities at the moment and I'm VERY leery of any cuts or nicks. I don't consider even a minor weeper acceptable so I'm ultra conservative. I figure over time, I'll develop enough skill/courage to do everything right with minimal cuts. But I that decided even if I never get there, it's enjoyable enough to get partial shaves with straights on the weekends that I'll keep using them in my overall rotation.

Get comfortable with your cheeks. Then, slowly, add more and more of your face.

It's not a race.

I had done quite a number to my own mug when learning and it took me quite a long time to get to a comfortable place.

Mind you, my first shave with a GD that I had stroped myself (first time for both events) got all cocky as I figured it was pretty much the same as a shavette (pro tip: It isn't). Result? Got sucked into the trap of reaching for a BBS with a blade I had no experience in handling...

Yes, yes I did get a BBS... If you ignored the razor rash and burn.
BBS with rash and burn is no BBS at ​all!

Try this litany:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little cut that brings pink lather.
I will face my razor.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the razor has gone there will be nothing.
Only skin will remain.

Worked for me.

Awesome. Better than the alternative Dune quote adaptation "The (blood) must flow..."

OP, on the plus side - when you do get it right and have a shave that feels good, comfortable and devoid of any nasty scrapes... You will feel like a freakin' God of shaves. Nothing, but nothing will phase you for the entire day....
You will just think "yeah, but I've just knowingly scrapped a steel blade across my face that had zero safety factors built in...", that is a sensation worth repeating every so often (daily TBH).

Hello!

I also had the shaky-shake shakes on my first shave(s). Not the wobbely hand of lack of confidence, but something huge, on the parkisonian spasme scale. (read my first straught shave thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/445723-A-double-first! )
Do not worry, just take it slow...
What I did was to put the razor down, breath, calm down, walk around the house, relather if it dried, pick the razor up and DO NOT STOP BREATHING DEEPLY (don't forget that as apnea makes shaking worse). Put it flat on the skin, angle a bit, couple of inches of shaving, shakes come back, put the razor down. Repeat until you are done. By the 4th-5th shave you will probably not need any brakes anymore.
Two months on, and I shave everyday without even "thinking" about it... It's just become second nature, a normal thing to do, and I came to expect a BBS result with 3 passes. :thumbup1:
Hang in there and don't worry :)

Top Bottom