What's new

I am traveling to San Antonio.

because my best friend is retiring from the Marine Corps. Any members on the forum that live in or near San Antonio have suggestions for what to do and see? I will be there all weekend, but the retirement is Friday. Looks like I will have some free time to kill. Any suggestions for a place to get a good straight razor shave??

Thanks in advance guys!

I spent a few weeks in San Antonio a couple years ago in training.

Check out the river walk. Also check out Fort Sam Houston," Home to Army Medicine " Army Medical Museum, they even have a table devoted to food inspectors.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
north of San Antonio is Gruene Texas! Farmers markets on weekends
Saltlick BBQ is in the Austin Area
Fogo De Chao restaurant-- $24ish for weekday lunch-- near the rivercenter mall off of commerce
The Cheesecake Factory
Lulu's has a 3lb cinnamon roll
Big Lou's Pizza has a 42" pizza
Lukenbach, Texas is not too far--just to say you've been to Luckenbach. Ride a live saddled longhorn while there.
marty

Eat. Eat some more. Eat again.

I am South Louisiana born and raised. The food here is amazing. But San Antonio is the king of GOOD, CHEAP Mexican food and it is delicious (if you stay clear of the river walk). My wife and I love to visit San Antonio and we adore the food. There are also lots of great micro breweries in Texas (not Shiner), so enjoy that while you're there.

Last edited:
Check out a bbq joint called the big bib. It's on the east side near ft Sam Houston. Great food, not expensive, but it can get pretty busy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You have to go to the Alamo. The river walk is just across the street and has plenty of restaurants. Mi Tierra and Bakery is a San Antonio landmark restaurant.

Have no idea for a straight razor shave.

There are all sorts of shops and restaurants around the River Walk. A bit touristy and commercial but hey, you can't leave San Antonio without being able to say you went there :)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Never been but anytime I've ever heard talk of San Antonio it's been about the river walk and the mexican food.

So you need to check out both of those I reckon.

because my best friend is retiring from the Marine Corps. Any members on the forum that live in or near San Antonio have suggestions for what to do and see? I will be there all weekend, but the retirement is Friday. Looks like I will have some free time to kill. Any suggestions for a place to get a good straight razor shave??

Thanks in advance guys!

Thank you for your military service
..I was there last month. I been in Dallas and El Paso this week...go to 110 broad street and see the river walk.

$Riverwalk-Plaza-Hotel-and-Suites_01_wide.jpg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I forgot all about the riverwalk:
Saltgrass Steakhouse--great steaks
County Line BBQ- really good BBQ
Dirty Nellies-Irish pub-piano player singing dirty limericks. Great place to drink and BS with old friends
Dicks Last Resort-cold beer and the wait staff are Dicks. They put u down and r rude and put hats on u made out of butcher paper. They write funny (dirty) things on them. You can search for them on the Internet. Makes for a fun,loud time. Food ain't great but appetizers r good. It's for the experience. Great place for a bunch of retiring Marines!
remember, it is a crime to fall, jump, swim in the river. But if u do; stand up! It's shallow!

I have never gotten a shave there!
marty

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The river walk has a great jazz bar with expensive drinks but is great. Take the boat ride. It's peaceful, entertaining and is a great historical education.

San Antonio also an interesting German town area.

Last edited:
The River Walk is a lot of fun. Last year my wife and I went down there and we had our Poodle, Lucy the Wonder Dog, with us. We were able to dine at an outside restaurant and enjoyed our stay. One young boy asked his father if Lucy was a Chihuahua! It may be touristy be it's a great place.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you are going through Albuquerque ... take that left turn!!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Thanks for all the input guys. This is why its so nice to have a big, active forum at your disposal. So, if I am reading this right I need to make sure I....
Eat
Eat
Eat
Eat BBQ
and then you people want me to walk on the river?!? LOL

I cant wait for some good Mexican...not much here in Roanoke, VA..we also have an absurd lack of quality BBQ

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Bugs Bunny never made it that far South down to SA, but I bet Speedy Gonzales did....andela, andela....arriba, arriba....yep-a, yep-a.

Top Bottom