What's new

Do Titans razors need to be modded?

Just got my hands on a Titan VG10. It actually just arrived in the mail. I know GDs need some work to make shave ready but what about these Titans? Anyone have any experience with these?

This is what it looks like (stock picture)
$download (3).jpg

They are pretty much exactly like GDs, except they are stainless. It may take a bit of work at the heel, like tge GDs do. The Titans are nice srainless razors.

My Titan came shave-ready. No modification required, but I got it from a reseller in Poland, not straight from the factory in China, so it is possible some value-added work was done by the distributor.

Double stabilizer trimming makes it easier, You dont have to but I always did not so much for me but for the next guy.

Mine came with a strop and a stone of some sort so not from factory. I haven't done much with it yet, basically opened the box and shaved some arm hair and put it back into the box. This thing is heavy.

If I was to work the stabilizer, what is the best plan of attack?

Shaved with it last night. After a good stropping the shave wasn't too bad. Not the sharpest but not terrible either. The second stabilizer isn't very prominent so I'm wondering if this has had some work done.

The scales are very heavy and the balance is thrown off. But with the pinning being as tight as it is the weight didn't become too big of an issue.

Mine came with a strop and a stone of some sort so not from factory. I haven't done much with it yet, basically opened the box and shaved some arm hair and put it back into the box. This thing is heavy.

If I was to work the stabilizer, what is the best plan of attack?
I would see if there is a hook forming. You will see it in the factory edge. If there is no hook or slight frown in that area you should be ok.

My Titan came shave-ready. No modification required, but I got it from a reseller in Poland, not straight from the factory in China, so it is possible some value-added work was done by the distributor.

I thought I honed that one for you?

I can't remember....

Looks ok to me from the pics. But I would trim it back to where the stabilizers were ground away from the bevel. It will have to be done at some point IMO, so I always trimmed these before honing.

I thought I honed that one for you?

I can't remember....

No just got it a couple days ago.

Looks ok to me from the pics. But I would trim it back to where the stabilizers were ground away from the bevel. It will have to be done at some point IMO, so I always trimmed these before honing.

Sorry to be so numb but when you say trim what do you actually mean? Do you mean to file down thinner? You don't happen to have a picture do you?

Top Bottom