What's new

Porsche 928 S4

Hey -- anyone have any experience with old Porsche 928's? I've got a line on a 87 928S4 with just under 150k miles for about $7000. I'm a Mustang guy, but have always loved these cars.
It's had water pump,timing belt, engine mounts, front struts, fuel pump, top end gasket replaced not long ago.

Anything else that's known to be trouble on these cars? Is one of these at 150K miles more trouble than it's worth?
I can do basic shade tree mechanic tune-up and basics, but not major repairs.

Probably going to look at it next week.

Go to the library and have a peek a copy of Lemonade Used Cars guide. If you know the year of the car you will have a good idea of what you are potentially getting into. Alternatively, you can locate your local Porsche club and ask around.

I've heard the electrics in this car were overly complicated and after a certain age they are shockingly bad. Do you research before you buy is my opinion.

Definitely do some research, the price for repairs/parts can add up very quickly on these cars .. Its usually when people decide to get rid of them.
I would have the car fully inspected by a trusted mechanic that can tell you anything he may see wrong .. And on the upside, it may be a great deal and have nothing wrong
Good Luck !

I remember the 928s and a friend of mine had one. To the best of my recollection he didn't have an inordinate amount of trouble with it. A pre-purchase inspection will be worth its' weight in gold. Offhand though I'd rather have a 911.

Thanks guys.
I've decided against it. After looking up info on them online, a 150k mile 928 just doesn't sound like a good thing. I have limited ability to perform repairs myself so I'd be on the hook for paying for most. And parts availability is a problem according to some of the forums. It's not like my beloved Mustangs that you can find parts for on every street corner.
I think it would get really expensive, really fast. Maybe if it was a mid-80s 911 targa...... A lot simpler and parts for those are still available.

Top Bottom