What's new

Fuji X100T

Just ordered a Fuji X100T to be used as a carry/travel camera. Haven't used a rangefinder type camera since the late 50's; should be interesting. Any tips/comments from users of the X100, S, T models? Suggestions re post processing? I understand that the Adobe programs initially had problems with the Fuji files.

great travel camera.
the hybrid rangefinder and controls took a little getting acquainted.
no problems with adobe.
tip...take some time to get well used to the controls.
you'll enjoy it.

proxy.php

Glad you saw this; your pictures on here were actually what got me thinking about this camera. Held off knowing that the T was coming. Just took it out of the box and can see where the grip might need to be enhanced. Will be fun, and a new mindset.

Congratulations and enjoy the new camera. I would love to try it out at some point in the future as I have heard great things about it. :001_smile

I have the x100s and its fantastic. I rarely use my DSLR anymore unless I want to take something specific really wide or need a zoom.

In low light the fuji is excellent as well as being easy to use and compact.

When i first got mine, I needed to use Adobe Raw to process the raw files, into TIFF. But not, Lightroom has been updated to handle them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125521267@N04/

Most of my recent pics are from the Fuji

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I have an x100s.

To be honest, if you have the skills to get your exposures and white balance close to right, you don't really need to shoot RAW. Fuji has the best Jpeg engine in the business, and they look fantastic right out of the camera, and are still quite robust if you do need to post process a bit. I sometimes shoot raw and Jpeg at the same time, mostly because I shot 90% B&W, and having a B&W preview is nice, but the RAW gives me a chance to change my mind and go colour if I decide to. But honestly, when I have bothered to convert the RAW, and then look at it finished next to the jpeg, I needn't have bothered.

with my fuji, I shoot raw and jpg all the time (unless im low on card space...)

If the Jpg is as I want it or just a fun snap, I leave as it, but if I want to make some minor or major adjustments, I put the raw into lightroom.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have an x100s.

To be honest, if you have the skills to get your exposures and white balance close to right, you don't really need to shoot RAW. Fuji has the best Jpeg engine in the business, and they look fantastic right out of the camera, and are still quite robust if you do need to post process a bit. I sometimes shoot raw and Jpeg at the same time, mostly because I shot 90% B&W, and having a B&W preview is nice, but the RAW gives me a chance to change my mind and go colour if I decide to. But honestly, when I have bothered to convert the RAW, and then look at it finished next to the jpeg, I needn't have bothered.

Wow. That's a great review.

I bought an X100T last month, and have enjoyed it very much. It is an amazing camera, it simply shoots, and when it shoots, it generally gets everything right. I took this snapshot with just a quick glance through the viewfinder and a jab at the shutter button, and surprisingly, got a good image. I thought I hadn't gotten the shot, as I hadn't even heard the shutter (the X100T is almost utterly silent).

$DSCF0118.jpg

Another great feature is that the X100T has wifi, and with a Fuji app, I can quickly send photos to my phone, iPad, or Macbook, and share them immediately. I also have a portable Instax printer which lets me make prints on instant film wirelessly. Amazing. Another fun thing is that with the app, I can operate the camera from my iPhone, the phone shows what the lens sees, and even do things like change the camera settings without even touching the camera. I have been using rangefinder cameras for some time, the X100T is in the bag with my Contax G2, both are black models, they look and operate much like each other.

As for image quality, I hate doing post-processing. Fuji makes great jpeg images which generally need little or no manipulation, I can simply shoot and print.

$IMG_1511.jpg

Here is my G2, as you can see, the dials are pretty much the same as the X100, though the shutter dial and exposure compensation dials are switched around. The two cameras operate almost identically, though the G2 is quite a bit heavier, and a little noisier. Focusing speed is about the same. An interesting advantage of the G2 is that it has IR focus assist (something like the Konica Hexar AF), so it will focus even in a black room, the Fuji still hunts around a bit when things get darker, but it is much better than my old X-Pro 1.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
My mate has also has an x100s, and had a Leica type 240. He just sold the Leica because it wasn't getting any use, he used the Fuji most of the time.

That is one hell of a recommendation.

street shot with the fuji x100s from last year, iso 800, f/16, 1/80 sec.
(i must have wanted to get a little motion blur, cannot recall!)
processed in adobe cr, for tone and slight skew correction, normal sharpening and noise reduction.
also shown is 800 pixel actual crop.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Took the Fuji out for a "test run" yesterday; shot a bunch of pictures (near/far, light/dark, etc.) so as to get a feel for the handling. Haven't looked at the results on the computer yet. Shot on auto, as I didn't want to get into the complexities of the menus right then. Optical viewfinder is very nice; didn't use the EVF much. I'm "left eyed" so my nose presses up against the LCD, requiring that I put a protector on it. I got the impression that I can use the camera with both eyes open and will try that later on. Compared to my DSLR's (and MF film cameras) this is like handling a toy; however, it's not that much smaller than my 35mm Pentax film cameras. Felt fairly comfortable with it after 10/15 minutes.
So far, my only concern is my grip with my right hand, which was very "conscious" because of the size of the camera. Have ordered a thumb rest type attachment and think that will make me more comfortable. Next weekend I'm taking a grandson to a Science Fair where he is an contestant and plan to take the camera with me. I want to shoot in B&W and figure that will be the first "real world" workout. Favorably impressed so far.

Took the Fuji out for a "test run" yesterday; shot a bunch of pictures (near/far, light/dark, etc.) so as to get a feel for the handling. Haven't looked at the results on the computer yet. Shot on auto, as I didn't want to get into the complexities of the menus right then. Optical viewfinder is very nice; didn't use the EVF much. I'm "left eyed" so my nose presses up against the LCD, requiring that I put a protector on it. I got the impression that I can use the camera with both eyes open and will try that later on. Compared to my DSLR's (and MF film cameras) this is like handling a toy; however, it's not that much smaller than my 35mm Pentax film cameras. Felt fairly comfortable with it after 10/15 minutes.
So far, my only concern is my grip with my right hand, which was very "conscious" because of the size of the camera. Have ordered a thumb rest type attachment and think that will make me more comfortable. Next weekend I'm taking a grandson to a Science Fair where he is an contestant and plan to take the camera with me. I want to shoot in B&W and figure that will be the first "real world" workout. Favorably impressed so far.

good report, big cheese.
for screen protector, i just used regular plastic film for cell phone screen,cut down.
for right hand grip, you might consider the nice, albeit pricey leather never-ready case.
when used without the clumsy cover flap, it allows a bit more grip on front and back along the edges of the case.

Legion

Staff member
good report, big cheese.
for screen protector, i just used regular plastic film for cell phone screen,cut down.
for right hand grip, you might consider the nice, albeit pricey leather never-ready case.
when used without the clumsy cover flap, it allows a bit more grip on front and back along the edges of the case.

This is what I do. I actually cheaped out and bought a non genuine pleather case, but it looks and feels the same, and does the same job.

I would also get the filter adaptor, and keep a UV filter on there. Having the filter and the case means you dont need a lens cap, so it is fast and easy.

Top Bottom