What's new

The Cap Toe boot

I would look into the Allen Edmonds First Avenue boots on ebay. I picked up a pair late last year & I love them. They look like to me the Park Avenue shoe buy in boot form.

Those look nice, but I'm running into the same problem as with the AE Bayfield. They are no longer made, and its very hit or miss on the Bay. If I could find either of those I think my search would be over. I might just call it a day and pick up a pair of Iron Rangers. They will be perfectly fine at work, and probably fit in better with the rednecks I work with anyways. I think if I look around, there may be one that pops up with a rubber sole or sole cap. J crew had one, and Brooks Brothers currently has one with a full lug sole.

Just out of curiosity, WHY are the Viberg Service boots so expensive? For over $700, I'd rather pick up a pair of Aldens in Shell...

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Those look nice, but I'm running into the same problem as with the AE Bayfield. They are no longer made, and its very hit or miss on the Bay. If I could find either of those I think my search would be over. I might just call it a day and pick up a pair of Iron Rangers. They will be perfectly fine at work, and probably fit in better with the rednecks I work with anyways. I think if I look around, there may be one that pops up with a rubber sole or sole cap. J crew had one, and Brooks Brothers currently has one with a full lug sole.

Just out of curiosity, WHY are the Viberg Service boots so expensive? For over $700, I'd rather pick up a pair of Aldens in Shell...

If the style is okay with you, I'd say get a pair of AE Lognbranch. They come in three colours, and more importantly, the Vibram Gumlite lug sole, which will do you great service in the snow &c. (I find that once the "outer crust" on the Gumlite wears off, they do exceptionally well gripping snow & ice.)

With Viberg ... in part, you get what you pay for. In part, I suspect they tack on a "we're the IN THING with the affluent-bohemian-bum-fashion crowd ... so charge what the market will bear (rather than seeing a healthy re-sale market on e-Bay with a $200 markup from MSRP.)

I've toyed with the long branch. Now that I'm looking at them closer, I do really like them. Only thing that I'm worried about is being "the wingtip boot guy". I'm not opposed to being the boot guy. Always have worn boots at work since most plants I've worked in require safety toed boots. I am worried about over doing the wingtip thing though, which is why I was going down the cap toe or plain toe route. The dark brown grain with red laces does look pretty darn cool though. With that lug sole, they could really pass as a decent light hiker as well.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oddly enough, the wingtip/brogue has its origins in a more informal shoe/boot than the captoe. (They used to be actual real holes punched in the boot, to let the boots drain out when walking through marshland, apparently. I guess the water is going to get in anyhow, so get it out faster? Odd. Anyhow, in theory it's a more casual style.)

Dang. They are 11 E.
If I may ask, what caused you to decide to get rid of this boot? The dark brown is currently on a pretty good sale on the Seconds store, and I was thinking of pulling the trigger tomorrow. \

I've been going back and forth whether to just suck it up and get a pair of Aldens from theshoemart.com, but after reading about the different lasts, I think I really need to make it into an Alden store to see what last will be best for me. A pair of Aldens may be a "I saved some money, so combine that with what you would have spent on me for Christmas and get me these boots"

I think I have BAD...really bad.

I'd love to find a way to wear these.

proxy.php

If I may ask, what caused you to decide to get rid of this boot? The dark brown is currently on a pretty good sale on the Seconds store, and I was thinking of pulling the trigger tomorrow. \

I've been going back and forth whether to just suck it up and get a pair of Aldens from theshoemart.com, but after reading about the different lasts, I think I really need to make it into an Alden store to see what last will be best for me. A pair of Aldens may be a "I saved some money, so combine that with what you would have spent on me for Christmas and get me these boots"

I think I have BAD...really bad.

I found out that I'm an 11 EEE.

I've had Corcoran boots like that where the cobbler cut them down to be 8 eye boots so they weren't wasting so much time every day to lace up. He ran a seam around them so they looked exactly the same as the tall ones and he cut down the tongue. That way they were more along the lines of being as tall as normal dress boots. I liked the look of them. Here's an old photo I found

proxy.php

I ended up going with a Longbranch. Closeout price of $197 on the dark browns was too good to pass up. I'm going to watch both the 1000K and IR through the summer for sales.

Long Branches came in today. I'm extremely pleased. They aren't the cap toe boot I came looking for. The dark brown is sharp, but rugged with the slightly pebbled leather and vibram sole.

When I got fitted at the AE store for my Daltons, I ended up with a 9 E. They only had a 9 D in these, but I think it's better in the end. The fit is great, and they are extremely comfortable.

I love the red laces too. They come with brown ones for people who don't like the brighter color. I think I want to add a waxed lace over these polyester ones. Does anyone have a source for waxed laces?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430437476.751165.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom