What's new

Best Lavender Shaving Cream?

What is the Best Lavender Shaving Cream?

• Art of Shaving

• Castle Forbes

• Dr. Harris

• eShave

• Geo F. Trumper

• Musgo

• New York Shaving Company

• Taylor of Old Bond Street

• Truefitt and Hill

Results are only viewable after voting.
I really like the sample of TOBS Lavender cream I have; however I would be interested to know if there are other brands that sell Lavender cream that folks would highly recommend - either because of the great performance, or because the scent is exceptional. People say good things about most brands - I am curious to see if one rises to the top.

If a brand you like isn't listed in the poll, please reply about it below!
Thanks!
Todd

Last edited:
I voted for D.R. Harris because it's the favorite of mine but I haven't tried any of the others. I have Geo F. Trumper Violet that I haven't used but I didn't realize they offered a lavender.

For me,CF Lavender is best by a fairly large margin. My 2nd choice isn't on your voting list: Martin de Candre regular which has a delightful and distinctive lavender scent. However,its a soap not a cream so I guess it can't be included in this poll

Craig

I found a company that had Castle Forbes on sale but the only one they had in stock was the Cedar and Sandalwood and I have that. Lavender or Lime were my preferences.

Last edited:
Overall, Lavender just isn't my scent of choice. In the beginning I had a sample of CF and was convinced it was the best ever. When I eventually decided to spend the bucks, I bought a tub of CF. Unfortunately by that time, I had already gone crazy for the Cedarwood Sandalwood and I still am. The Lavender just didn't ring my bell any more so I sold it. Long story short, tried several, now I know the best (discontinued of course) is Coates. But I voted for Truefitt Hill because it really has a lot of class, and is outstanding. They're all good.

I too like the TOBS lavender...then again I pretty much like anything TOBS. I hear the Truefitt and Hill is pretty good too. I think it would be interesting if the Captain from Captain's Choice would make his version of lavender.

I voted for CF, but I'm honestly split. I also adore D.R. Harris (note - D.R., not Dr.) lavender, but my experience is limited to stock in the old tubs with the Queen Mother Warrant. There was some speculation of a reformulation when the company switched tub styles, and I have yet to try newer stock. If current stock is as good as it used to was, then I'd put it in a dead heat with CF, with CF being the finest example of an EO-based lavender cream, and DRH being the best example of an FO-based lavender cream.

NB: Trumper doesn't make a lavender cream. I'm not sure why it's on the list.

(note - D.R., not Dr.)
Doh! Yes, I knew that. That's what I get for rushing to do something before getting out of the office.

NB: Trumper doesn't make a lavender cream. I'm not sure why it's on the list.
It's on the list because I am a dum-dum. Although I don't know that I would actually buy Trumper Violet without trying a sample first (even if it won this poll), that's what I should have put there.

My 2nd choice isn't on your voting list: Martin de Candre regular which has a delightful and distinctive lavender scent. However,its a soap not a cream so I guess it can't be included in this poll
Ha! I have a sample of MdC regular (and fougere) waiting for a tin or bowl to open up in my rotation (I am furiously working through my less-favorite Stirling samples to make room). I didn't realize it was a lavender - but whatever it is, I do like the smell. I can't wait to give it a go.

Although I don't know that I would actually buy Trumper Violet without trying a sample first (even if it won this poll), that's what I should have put there.

Given the disparate liberties perfumers take with lavender fragrances, viewing Trumper violet cream as being on the same axis isn't an outlandish idea, IMO. I think one could make a reasonable argument that their violet cream is Trumper's answer to other brands' lavender-FO creams. It wouldn't be my top pick of the poll options, but it's still a viable choice in its own right. Honestly, I think I'd go with Trumper violet over Coate's or T&H lavenders. (My comment doesn't apply to T&H Ultimate Comfort, which is a different animal altogether.)

Last edited:
For me,CF Lavender is best by a fairly large margin. My 2nd choice isn't on your voting list: Martin de Candre regular which has a delightful and distinctive lavender scent. However,its a soap not a cream so I guess it can't be included in this poll

This. Word for word. Couldn't have phrased it better myself. And the poll speaks for itself too...

I can only comment on TOBS ( as it is the only one that I have smelled) but it smelled more of Rosemary than Lavender to me. So for me its a no-go.

I like the stronger scent of TOBS Lavender but AoS performs better for me. I didn't vote, though, because these are the only two I've used from the list. At some point, I'll give Castle Forbes a try if I can justify the price (AoS is also expensive, but I received it as a gift).

I broke out my old tub of DRH lavender today. The scent is great, but I'd forgotten how obnoxious the coloring is. Stupidly, I used a Plisson HMW with it, and the white tips are now looking good and purple (hopefully not permanently). My white towels also have purple spots on them. In terms of performance, I'd say it's on par with all the other English creams - not a bad thing at all, but aside from the scent and color, there isn't much that separates it from the pack. I think CF stands out more for its uniqueness, lack of coloring, and the best natural, pure lavender scent in any cream on the market*. I'm glad I voted for it in the poll. Obviously I'm not alone in my sentiments.

*Among those I've smelled. I haven't smelled everything, but as a lavender fan, I've smelled a lot.

Top Bottom