What's new

AR15: Build or Buy Complete?

NOTE: I'm currently stationed in CA and should be stationed elsewhere in a few years.

I'm already planning for my 2015 tax returns so I need some AR15 advice. First, if I buy a CA compliant AR15 can I remove the "bullet button" and replace with a normal mag release when I move out of state? Second, I'm a left handed shooter, what options are there to me to make my rifle more friendly without the cost of a left handed upper/lower? I've already taken a look at the MAGPUL BAD lever, looks promising.

I'm tempted to buy a S&W M&P 15 Sport. The price is competitive and is basically a blank slate. I could either buy the CA compliant version and modify it when I move, or buy a non-CA compliant rile and swap the stock for an FRS-15 stock then back when I leave.

At this time I just don't see the value in time VS money to build a rifle. I'm not into all the fanciest gadgets or newest, most state of the art parts. If I pull the trigger and it reliably goes bang so I can enjoy it and defend my home/family I'm happy. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

I would go stock with the M&P. A build also requires lots of special tools which you would either have to sell to recover some of cost or start building for others to cover cost which is a whole other can of worms.

I would go stock with the M&P. A build also requires lots of special tools which you would either have to sell to recover some of cost or start building for others to cover cost which is a whole other can of worms.

What he said. Price range would be good to know. The M&P 15 is mighty nice for the money.

As far as the state compliance, I'd go with whatever is legal for you to have. No point in bringing (unlikely) scrutiny against you for no reason.

Last edited:
I bought the M&P 15 Optics ready(flat top)when Smith first released them. A friend tried to talk me into just building one. After having it for a few weeks and changing everything about it, I would have been better off building one. If this will be your first AR and you don't have an armorer/gunsmith buddy, then by all means buy one.

With the ever dropping cost of AR parts, if your planning on swapping out hand guards, grips,stocks, triggers and such you will be money ahead to bite the bullet and build one. It's not really that difficult. I was able to build a 10.5" pistol and an 8" SBR with Nickel Boron bolt carriers and good trigger groups for about what I paid for my M&P 15 --$750 ish after factory rebate. $ar.jpg

The M&P Sport is a good price and will go bang every time.
The BAD lever doesn't work for a lefty.

I use the Rock River ambidextrous star safety on all of mine (10 at the moment). It's cheap and I like the feel of it.

The magazine release is another good part to swap out for lefties.
Norgon, Troy, and Knight's are the big three.
I've tried them all and the Norgon is the best and most expensive.
$DSCN1140.JPG

Buy a stripped lower and build it yourself. You will learn a lot about the inner workings. A stripped lower can be had for 50 to 70 bucks. A lower build kit run from 70 to 130 depending on the features.

You do not need a lot of special tools, only two, A barrel nut wrench(armor's wrench) and a upper receiver block to hold the upper receiver in a vice while tightening and adjusting the barrel nut to proper position and torque. For everything else, standard mechanics/machinist pin punches, needle nose pliars, small screwdrivers, hammer, ect. will be all you need.

Thanks everyone. I'm not planning to make a lot of modifications to a stock rifle, maybe some lefty comfort mods later on. I realized I probably can't even use a lefty mag release in CA due to the bullet button/fixed magazine requirement. So all things considered it seems a stock built AR is the way to go. I can shoot a right handed AR just fine, I qualified in the Air Force just fine on a right handed M-16.

As for price range that was mentioned before, the M&P 15 Sport hits right about what I can afford. C'mon 2015 tax returns (I know I'm a bit early on planning)!

I love my M&P Sport, but note it comes with a plain handguard. I needed to swap that out in order to get rails on it for a fore grip and a light. Still, it's pretty darn nice for the price.

Don't know what to tell you about getting a California-compliant rifle now vs. waiting if you expect to be out of California in the future. I don't think we're looking at a federal ban anytime soon.

I bought the M&P 15 Optics ready(flat top)when Smith first released them. A friend tried to talk me into just building one. After having it for a few weeks and changing everything about it, I would have been better off building one. If this will be your first AR and you don't have an armorer/gunsmith buddy, then by all means buy one.

With the ever dropping cost of AR parts, if your planning on swapping out hand guards, grips,stocks, triggers and such you will be money ahead to bite the bullet and build one. It's not really that difficult. I was able to build a 10.5" pistol and an 8" SBR with Nickel Boron bolt carriers and good trigger groups for about what I paid for my M&P 15 --$750 ish after factory rebate.View attachment 564744

^^^^

NOTE: I'm currently stationed in CA and should be stationed elsewhere in a few years.

I'm already planning for my 2015 tax returns so I need some AR15 advice. First, if I buy a CA compliant AR15 can I remove the "bullet button" and replace with a normal mag release when I move out of state? Second, I'm a left handed shooter, what options are there to me to make my rifle more friendly without the cost of a left handed upper/lower? I've already taken a look at the MAGPUL BAD lever, looks promising.

I'm tempted to buy a S&W M&P 15 Sport. The price is competitive and is basically a blank slate. I could either buy the CA compliant version and modify it when I move, or buy a non-CA compliant rile and swap the stock for an FRS-15 stock then back when I leave.

At this time I just don't see the value in time VS money to build a rifle. I'm not into all the fanciest gadgets or newest, most state of the art parts. If I pull the trigger and it reliably goes bang so I can enjoy it and defend my home/family I'm happy. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Yes you'll be able to remove the "bullet button" after moving out of state. S&W M&P 15 sport is popular. I rather have a BCM upper with a 1:7 twist and the lower can be from S&W or another reputable company.

I ended up building my own. I thought about buying the M&P Sport, but decided that by time I changed the handguard, stock, etc. it would be better to build it myself. There are enough instructions online and videos to figure out how to build one. As for left handed parts, I believe Stag Arms has left handed uppers and maybe a lower. Take a look at their website.

Top Bottom