What's new

AOS Tallow on eBay - fake or real?

I was on eBay and came across several AOS Tallow Sandalwood and Unscented soaps there - anybody here buy one of these? Are they legit - or is it a rip off?
How much better are the old ones compared to the new formulation in slickness?
I have Mikes, MWF, Tabac, Strop Shoppe, Caties Bubbles and enjoy them all. Would AOS tallow give me a better shave?
I really should be saving for a nice straight, but the thought that I might not get my hands on something ever again is urging me to click on the "Buy It Now" button!
Help!

I ordered a bunch of AOS tallow from that company and the product and the company are legit.I think I ended up with 6 unscented and 9 sandalwood. (I know I'm a bit of hoarder what can I say)

Thanks guys! Just ordered the sandalwood. Cannot wait to compare it against the current formulation! :)

Mine arrived today in fact. I haven't lathered it but the scent is awesome and very strong - something I worried about with buying old stock.

It smells so good I am tempted to order another 3 and set myself up for years of shaving!

It's real. There's no way that it would be cost effective to essentially duplicate a discontinued soap and sell it for 1/3 of the retail price. The scent is exactly the same as the other AOS sandalwood scents and the performance is as good as any soap I've tried and better than most.

I received the soap last week and have tried it out for a couple of shaves. Excellent shave - however, the scent seemed a bit muted compared to the non-tallow puck from the AOS store that I had purchased last year. I say "seemed", because I gave that one to my father and cannot compare them side by side.
Do not let my comment stop you from buying it - it is still a great scent and the shave is excellent!

I bought my first (and perhaps last) tub of AoS Lavender in the store. When I got it home, it was a consistency much harder than what they demo'ed in the store, and whenever I have used it there are small chips of it left in the bowl, unlathered. No other cream does that. So, even if you pay full price with the ambiance of the mall-store experience, you can get a bum batch. The AoS products did get me hooked on lavender, but there are so many good quality products at cheaper prices, including TOBS, Herbs of Bulgaria, Derby, and many more.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I bought my first (and perhaps last) tub of AoS Lavender in the store. When I got it home, it was a consistency much harder than what they demo'ed in the store, and whenever I have used it there are small chips of it left in the bowl, unlathered. No other cream does that. So, even if you pay full price with the ambiance of the mall-store experience, you can get a bum batch. The AoS products did get me hooked on lavender, but there are so many good quality products at cheaper prices, including TOBS, Herbs of Bulgaria, Derby, and many more.

That might be right, but there is (or should I say was) only one AoS sandalwood soap.

Take it back and make them replace it!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
To the original post, I did buy some Sandalwood Soap from that seller, and unless there's money in faking stamps on shaving soap, it is the real stuff, not sure why lavendar cream gets into the mix, unless you have strange superlather tastes

I received the soap last week and have tried it out for a couple of shaves. Excellent shave - however, the scent seemed a bit muted compared to the non-tallow puck from the AOS store that I had purchased last year. I say "seemed", because I gave that one to my father and cannot compare them side by side.
Do not let my comment stop you from buying it - it is still a great scent and the shave is excellent!
In another thread (or post, can't remember) a member compared the new to the old specifically.

I recall that they were both excellent with the lathering peculiarities only slightly different.

He did note that the tallow formula has a clay like undertone that took away from the scent and the new formulation has a clearer scent (if clearer makes sense).

I LOVED the sandalwood but got a skin reaction from it, unfortunately. Fortunately someone traded one of my pucks for a different scent so I'm looking forward to trying that one.

I ordered a puck of the sandalwood from the eBay seller (who has nearly 5,000 feedbacks w/99.9% positive rating), and liked it so much that I ordered 4 more. It's made by Valobra (of which I am a huge fan) and it shows.

--Bob

In another thread (or post, can't remember) a member compared the new to the old specifically.

I recall that they were both excellent with the lathering peculiarities only slightly different.

He did note that the tallow formula has a clay like undertone that took away from the scent and the new formulation has a clearer scent (if clearer makes sense).

"Clearer scent" is exactly what the difference is! In my childhood, I have grated wood from a sandalwood tree on a wet smooth stone (traditional Indian way of creating sandalwood paste) and the new formulation seems much closer to the real scent.
Again, don't let my hair splitting get in the way of your purchasing this puck - it is a steal at less than $15, the performance is wonderful, and the scent, while slightly different, is still magnificent! :thumbup1:

I would like to try AOS soap. The only Sandalwood soap I have is Haslinger and I'm not fond of the scent. Should I get the unscented or is AOS sandalwood scent different?

Top Bottom