What's new

Scooottland

We are planning a trip to Ireland and Scotland. Would like to try some whiskies not common in the US. Preferring smooth and light. Any recommendations?

There should be a bunch. The US, in its infinite wisdom, requires bottles to be 750 ml. The rest of the planet uses 700ml bottles. Thus all we get over here are things specifically made for our market. So there many bottlings in the wild never intended for the US market. Probably best to just talk with the bartender/shopkeeper for recomendations, though I wouldn't expect that they would have much knowledge of what is sold in the States.

What you can find are brands sold here, but in expressions not brought over. A 16yr old versus the 15yr we get, wine barrel aged, etc. So maybe you could look for those.

Last edited:
It has been more than a few years since I was last in Edinburgh, but there was no shortage of drinking establishments in town, on or just off Princes Street, the main shopping district. The couple I remember visiting had many, many whisky choices I'd never seen in the U.S.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Auchentoshan (pronounced "OKK-en TOSH-an").

It's near Glasgow, which is not too far from Edinburgh. Hop the train.

The last time I was in Edinburgh, I went into Royal Mile Whiskies with a friend who was a regular customer. The staff was friendly and talkative, and they poured me tastes of quite a few different things. They get a lot of American customers and they a good idea about what I could get here and what I couldn't. In the end, they helped me to narrow my choices down to a couple of bottles that I liked. There was another shop down at the other end of the Royal Mile that was nice too. Cadenhead?

I'm off to Edinburgh on May 5th and have booked a Gold tour at The Scotch Whiskey Experience. It's a tad pricey but worth it to get a good tasting experience from the different regions of Scotland and a discount on any purchases.

I also typically buy a bottle of Bunnahabhain Darach Ur at Edinburgh Airport when I'm on my way home. (It can be difficult to find but I'm in Edinburgh quite often).

Glenkinchie is the closest to Edinburgh, it even has a shuttle bus to to the distillery from Edinburgh city centre.
Glengoyne is worth a visit, near Aberfoyle. Edradour at Pitlochry is the smallest distillery in Scotland. Both within easy reach of Edinburgh.

An interesting one to visit I think would be Daftmill in Fife, the newest micro-distillery in the country.
http://www.daftmill.com/ So new it doesn't have product on sale yet.

Dalwhinnie is about two hours away in the Highlands from Edinburgh. They have great scotch and the tour was very nice.

+1 I highly recommend their three wood...my favorite of their line.

Go to Speyside. My family stayed in Elgin and you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a few distilleries. Glenfarclas gave the very best tasting / tour. Their sherry casked 25 year old is really something special.

Auchentoshan does, indeed, make some very lovely whiskeys. It is available in the U.S., but I don't know how widely. The same is true for Edradour, my personal favorite, and the smallest distillery in Scotland. I envy the O.P. --- Scotland is one of my favorite countries, Edinborough is one of my favorite cities, and the Scottish people are great (well, the ones I have met, anyway).

Top Bottom