What's new

Gem G-Bar rific!

I bought a brand new looking Gem G-Bar on Ebay about a month ago and had not used it until last night.
I had a pretty bad user-error shave with a Schick G injector a few weeks back and was wary to try the Gem….not really sure what drove me to try the G-Bar, but man, I’m glad I did!
I used equal parts of Nivea Sensitive and Proraso Green for the lather and took my initial short strokes on the cheek. This thing is perfectly balanced, the angle is built-in and shallow. The G-Bar is a little heavier than the Schick injectors and just felt perfect from the start! I got the best shave yet from the G-Bar since dumping carts back in February. No nicks, no abrasion, and close, close, close!
I now have a “go-to” razor…love it! This is the best $19 I’ve ever spent!

Match it with some PTFE coated stainless blades and you will never use anything else.

SE razors are the overlooked stepsister of the wet shaving world.

Enjoy yours.

proxy.php

Yeah, I'm using a 10 pack of Personna Gem Stainless Steel blades that cost about $6.50 and supposedly last at least 10 shaves or more...that's a good deal in my book. I mean, it's such an elegant looking and easy shaving razor, I can't believe I was kind of afraid of it! The weight of it is perfect, it's very maneuverable and I was able to shave very quickly with it without fear of a mishap. It was easy on my trouble spots under the nose, chin and neck. Great product!

Welcome to the world of SE shaving! The G-Bar is an excellent introduction to SE razors. It is well made, nicely balanced, and a relatively mild shaver, not to mention it is arguably one of the coolest looking SE's. :thumbup1:

The blades do indeed last - This morning I enjoyed shave #13 on a Gem stainless steel blade. Once you decide that single edge shaving is for you (sounds like you're almost there) you can order the Gem stainless blades in bulk from www.tedpella.com for around $35 for 200 blades.

--Bob

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of SE shaving! The G-Bar is an excellent introduction to SE razors. It is well made, nicely balanced, and a relatively mild shaver, not to mention it is arguably one of the coolest looking SE's. :thumbup1:

The blades do indeed last - This morning I enjoyed shave #13 on a Gem stainless steel blade. Once you decide that single edge shaving is for you (sounds like you're almost there) you can order the Gem stainless blades in bulk from www.tedpella.com for around $35 for 200 blades.

--Bob

Wow, that is a killer deal on the blades. Thanks for the head's up!

I think I'm past the newbie jinx with SE's. I broke out the Schick G that bit me last month last night and had a great shave...ordered a Gem Jr 1912 this morning...I think I'm going to mix it up 50/50 DE/SE.

I think I'm past the newbie jinx with SE's. I broke out the Schick G that bit me last month last night and had a great shave...ordered a Gem Jr 1912 this morning...I think I'm going to mix it up 50/50 DE/SE.

You had better start thinking about some storage options for your DEs for when your 1912 arrives. Might as well store them and make room for the rest of your SEs! :lol:

I consider that the most ergonomically perfect handle ever mated to a safety razor. It basically forces you to use it properly

I consider that the most ergonomically perfect handle ever mated to a safety razor. It basically forces you to use it properly

Ehhh....it is a little hard to grip with wet hands.

I actually prefer the handle of the Push-Button for that style of razor......it's a lot easier to keep hold of with wet fingers.

Though I must say the G-Bar is certainly a lot better looking.

If you have the base rest on your pinky or ring finger wit and xtg and have the butt of the handle against the meat ofg the palm under the index finger knuckle, it is pretty much locked in perfect position at all times. Also conically shaped.

If you look at them they're basically the same razor.

It looks like they just sat down and said how can we make the G-Bar less slippery.

Last edited:
Yeah, my hand has got to be bone dry when shaving with the G BAR or its more slippery than an eel.......That said its a fantastic harmony between a razor and blade.......Lovely shaver ! :w00t:

If you use an alum block for post-shave, just rub your shaving hand fingers on the alum block and then blot dry on a towel before picking up the razor - no more slippage.

--Bob

Top Bottom