What's new

Clubman woes

I was at the very end of my bottle of Clubman so I went to Sally Beauty Supply while running another errand and bought the big 12.5 ounce bottle for $7.29. The bottle I had was a plastic 8 ounce and was an extra bottle my uncle had that he was no where close to going to use so it got handed over to me. That bottle was probably quite old, many years at the least. I opened the new bottle and the scent is weaker but has a significantly less pronounced plastic note. The liquid is thinner and when I splash it on the stuff evaporates way faster than the old bottle. The old bottle feels more oily before it evaporates while the new stuff feels very thin and light. I'm not sure I like this new bottle. I plan to put most of it in glass and take a couple ounces to refill the old bottle so I can let the bulk settle into the glass bottle for a bit without being disturbed. I'm repurposing a brown Worcestershire bottle. I'm kind of bummed. Clubman has been my daily splash after I shower for awhile now even if I don't shave. I don't like change I don't cause myself on purpose.

Interesting. I just bought and opened my first new bottle in a couple of years after having gone through a "country club size" bottle. I didn't notice any difference.

How old was your previous bottle?

Perhaps some of the old bottles content had evaporated or somehow been lost/changed over time? Hence the different consistency and scent?

I'm going to be doing something similar in the not too distant future as my glass Aqua Velva bottle is about half empty now. I'm wanting to refill it from the new plastic bottles I see at Walmart. I hope I don't have similar issues?

I don't know how old the previous 8 ounce bottle is. My uncle uses aftershave on big holidays and thats it. So he has a half bottle he's still working on. He said the extra bottle he gave me was given to him as a gift years ago. That could be 3 years or 15 years when he says that but I say more than 5 years since it was gift it would be forever before he felt comfortable giving it away without feeling bad about it. He claims to have a bottle of VIBR that fell behind his big dresser about 10 years ago I can have if I am willing to empty the dresser and move it to get the bottle and clean behind/under the monstrosity for him.

I was at the very end of my bottle of Clubman so I went to Sally Beauty Supply while running another errand and bought the big 12.5 ounce bottle for $7.29. The bottle I had was a plastic 8 ounce and was an extra bottle my uncle had that he was no where close to going to use so it got handed over to me. That bottle was probably quite old, many years at the least. I opened the new bottle and the scent is weaker but has a significantly less pronounced plastic note. The liquid is thinner and when I splash it on the stuff evaporates way faster than the old bottle. The old bottle feels more oily before it evaporates while the new stuff feels very thin and light. I'm not sure I like this new bottle. I plan to put most of it in glass and take a couple ounces to refill the old bottle so I can let the bulk settle into the glass bottle for a bit without being disturbed. I'm repurposing a brown Worcestershire bottle. I'm kind of bummed. Clubman has been my daily splash after I shower for awhile now even if I don't shave. I don't like change I don't cause myself on purpose.
Odd, how you describe the new bottle, is how I describe the vintage glass bottle of clubman that I have, when comparing it to current stock.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I can't speak to any reformulations that may have occurred, however, decanting into the glass bottle should definitely help with the plastic smell. Also, add in some glycerin to boost the moisturizing properties. I don't know if that would also help with the evaporation issue, but maybe. I've only been using Clubman since last October or so, but I've never noticed any issues with it drying up too soon.

I decanted into the Lea and Perrins Worcestershire glass brown bottle. I washed the bottle really well over the course of a few days. I used dawn and hot water. I also used vinegar a couple times. I filled the bottle with hot water and let it soak many times. I used just hot water a few times to get all the soap out. I peeled the label off and used Goof Off to wipe away the adhesive on the outside and washed the bottle again. I let it dry over night. I cleaned the flow restricter and the cap with soap and water. Soaked in vinegar and then in Isopropyl alcohol. Everything looked and smelled clean and Worcestershire free. I filled the bottle with Clubman and now I smell the Worcestershire sauce again. I hope I didn't just ruin 10 ounces of aftershave. I havn't tried it from the glass bottle yet. I'm hoping the sauce smell dissipates in a few days.

Last edited:
I can't speak to any reformulations that may have occurred, however, decanting into the glass bottle should definitely help with the plastic smell.

+1, decanting into glass bottles definitely helped with my Clubman products, regular, vanilla and special reserve.

$uploadfromtaptalk1429329133041.jpghere's a quick picture before bed. For a dollar each I can't complain.

That stinks ! No pun intended really that stinks ! Are you sure the original one was not the clubman hair tonic ? I only ask as that has a slight oily feel as it a hair tonic. In just trying to narrow things so if possible get you what your were used too. Unfortunately when even an aftershave sits too long ( an aftershave is for all purposes almost an EDC in concentration) the top notes burn off and make it either weaker or harsher in aroma. Luckily Pinaud clubman is very affordable if you need to get a new bottle.

Both my bottles are aftershave lotion. I checked and compared bottle labels/ingredients as soon as I noticed the difference. I'm just using a bit more of the new stuff to make up for the weaker scent. The flow restricter on the Worcestershire sauce glass bottle lets a bit more fluid out than the aftershave bottle so when I start using it I'll just be using one or two splashes rather than two or three with the original clubman bottles. I tested the glass bottle and the sauce odor seems like the plastic odor. Its there in the bottle and just as I apply but dissipates/disappears on dry down at least to my nose. I'll have to ask someone if I smell like powdery steak the next time I wear it.

After thinking about it, I had a bottle some time ago, maybe 3 years or more, that was almost "syrupy". I almost couldn't get a small enough amount to come out that wouldn't be overwhelming. The smallest amount would still be prominent hours and hours later. The bottle I have now is definitely of a thinner consistency and more manageable in terms of strength. I like this one much better.

Top Bottom