What's new

Help: Travel!

I travel quite frequently for work, and I would hate to go back to commercial shaving while on the road.

What are the rules for TSA on wet shave gear? I assume the razor is OK, but what about the blades? Are there a limit that you can bring? Also with the old shaving cream, as long as its under 3 oz it was OK. Would I need to cut a chunk out of my soap or place soft soaps or creams in a separate container?

Any help would be great as I am confused on what I can or cannot pack as a carry on.

BTW I know guys who pack a tuck of blades or slip one into the razor and hope for the best. If they catch it, they'll take it, and minimum cost is lost, but then you have to find blades at your destination and since we're all spoiled, buying blades at CVS would suck.

For me, I don't like to be delayed, so I'd rather just bring a Mach3.

I take a LA Shaving Soap Stick, a Simpson Wee Scott and my old Sensor Excel Cart system. You may find that your DE experience (technique, angles) will help get you a surprisingly acceptable shave on the road.

When I check, I go DE all the way.

Absolutely no SE blades, DE blades,or straight razors in the carry-on, though TSA acknowledges that there is an increase in the use of such shaving equipment. Straights and removable blades must be in checked luggage.
http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/08/safety-razors-and-disposable-razors.html
Just consider history. The rules were established in the wake of 9/11/2001. At the time, DE razors were long passé. Nobody used them so such rules did not matter. The geometric growth in DE use has been since 2008 or so.
Another choice is to put the DE razor in carry-on but resign yourself to using whatever DE blades you can pick up at a store, such as CVS house brand or whatever is at the dollar stores.

Gillette Guards are single blade disposables made in India. I hate multi-blade cartridges, so I own about 70 Guards.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
one can always mail blades ahead to their destination. Or if it is a regular destination i.e. hotel, ask management if you can store blades with them and pick them up at the front desk when in town. I enjoy vintage shaving, so when I travel I just enjoy my vintage Trac II & Carts.

Plenty of good tips. Just use common sense. Small sizes and no DE blades in carry-on. Safe travels to you.

The type of travel I do is to visit relatives or friends. I know where I'm going long beforehand. In my case I ship certain things to myself to the destination (my Mother's home in the Midwest for example). This can include any extra things I don't want to pack for the flight and will also include a DE razor, blades, stick of Arko, boar brush, etc. It's already waiting for me when I arrive. :001_smile

If it's work travel, check a bag, not your dime! Then you can bring creams & aftershaves > 3oz, plus your blades.

I keep a Mach3 in my dopp kit but I haven't used it in two years, I manage to mail a blade ahead with my less-frequent travel. I have considered those Gillette Guards which are sort of like a cartridge version of an SE, with a large enough blade gap that it doesn't clog.

Yes, clogging is why I don't like multi-blade cartridges. Which is how I found this site, learned to appreciate the advice all y'all offer so graciously, developed AD, and acquired 70 Gillette Guards...

Seriously, the Guard is a serviceable substitute for a DE razor on the road, but it encourages bad habits. Like applying too much pressure, or buffing so much that each piece of facial real estate receives the equivalent of 17 passes, as it seems you can't cut or otherwise harm yourself no matter how hard you try.

Thanks guys. I travel way too much and I am all over the country. I NEVER check as it takes too long and i simply dont trust airlines to send my bag where I am going, It has happened twice.

Looks like store bought blades it is

When you know in advance where you will be you could mail a blade or two ahead. But being on the road a lot, back to back, that gets tough to maintain. Good luck on finding blades where you go!

I'm on the road about half the month myself, and I don't check bags either. Your creams and *** will have to be 100ml/ 3.4 fl oz like your other 3-1-1 liquids. I palm lather KMF (tube) with a Muhle synthetic brush, and finish with alum block and splash or balm. The shave is two passes (WTG, ATG) with a cartridge razor, a Harry's or Gillette M3. This works fine for me, but the shaves are not that close unless the cart blade is newer (1-3).

Last edited:
I've had security open up my toiletry bag to check my DE razor multiple times. It's annoying.

I never tried to bring blades, or leave one loaded in the razor. I just buy some WS or whatever they have at the closest drug store.

Top Bottom