What's new

I honestly like canned.

Barbasol to Proraso.
It's foamy as hell, smooth and amazing.
Proraso dries up too quickly, no matter what I do. It doesn't have that velvety smoothness that barbasol in the green can does(Plus, made in the U.S)

We need to stop hating some canned foam around here! :p Some of it IS actually better than whipping a lather your self.

You must do something wrong. For me Proraso works great every time, ten times better than any canned crap.
Any way good luck with your Barbasol..
LoL

Big fan of the green can myself. A brand that's been around nearly as long as the safety razor itself. On days I'm using my Gillette Super Adjustable or Schick Krona, a Personna blue and Barbasol I'm getting a made in USA shave. Now I just have to find a US made AS I like :)

if the canned goo works for you, good for you.
Probably you are doing something wrong. No foam can be compared to soap IMO, moreover you are just missing a whole world of pleasure and satisfaction.
YMMV

I agree with the OP in part: The status quo is aerosol foam or gel with a cartridge system and brush and soap/cream with Double Edge shaving. But we can equally use gel with DE and soap/cream with cartridge. I don't see the problem with that. On the other hand anyone using canned foam or gel are missing out on the wide variety of soaps and creams available which turn a chore into something of a pleasure.

There is no reason why you shouldn't prefer canned. It was supposed to be a better way. Within a few years of its introduction, it was all but universally adopted by shavers everywhere. It saved time. It required no brush. In terms of convenience it appeared to be a no-brainer at the time. I used Barbasol myself for over 30 years and I still have it around. To me it is something like spaghetti sauce. When I learned to make it myself, I came to prefer it that way.

I used Barbasol and worked it into my face and beard with a brush. It worked better than when I just used my hands but the traditional soap and brush work better for me in terms of how the lather sticks to my face and beard and protectiveness. You can't beat the canned foam for speed.

I let my kids play with Barbasol. That's about it. I lock them in the closet if the play with my soaps and brushes. I get them back half eaten and covered in drool. My kids smell good though.

Whatever works. I might go with cream and brush myself, but I still stick to the drug store Nivea and such. I don't see any real benefit to spending a large sum on a soap or a cream, and honestly, Barbasol"s not bad at all.

As a recent convert to brush/soap, I can say I really enjoy the variety of available products. I also enjoy the process of making a lather myself. But it takes more time than using a canned product. If time is an issue or someone just plain enjoys a canned foam/gel, then what the hell...go for it...it's your choice.

To me it is something like spaghetti sauce. When I learned to make it myself, I came to prefer it that way.

This is a great analogy. I like Barbasol, and get good results with the Sensitive version. I also like Ragu spaghetti sauce, and get good results with it when I make spaghetti. Is the sauce better when made from scratch? Yes, BUT...if I consider the time factor, it isn't THAT much better. If I want to take the time, almost anything made from scratch is better...and often more expensive...but when I just want to put a meal on the table, I use some shortcuts that are good enough. (My wife is disabled, and I do a lot of the cooking.)

Barbasol was the thickest thing I have ever shaved with. the reason I switched is because it isn't as slick, and isn't good for your skin. they put propane in those cans. I recently tested out Barbasol again, I sprayed it in my sink. After wards running water in my sink, the water acted like I had put some kind of protective barrier on my sink. If Barbasol does that to my sink, it does that to my skin. locking out the moisture. No Bueno!

Sorry, Proraso soap in a bowl compared to barbasol.
Barb wins hands down.
I make VERY good lathers and have tried various kinds of soaps. Barbasol just wins.

Maybe because it's made by American hands, subconsciously I know I'm supporting a few thousand families.

I will admit there are BETTER soaps, much much much much much much x10 better. But day to day shave? Barbasol wins hands down.

AoS lavender is also better than proraso in a bowl(AoS soap is the ONLY thing I give them merrit for.). Proraso in a tube is amazing for bowl lathering.

Enjoy your shaves your way.

I use Barbasol in the yellow can as part of my rotation when I don't feel like whipping up a lather.

I've read the Barbasol with Aloe is very good although I've never tried it. I enjoy purchasing and trying new soaps, but hey, that's just me. To each his own.

I just don't see using the canned stuff as an option anymore, I can knock out a shower and shave in 20 min but if I was so hard up for time that i didn't have time to clean up in the morning then it's because I'm sick and am not going in anyway.

Top Bottom