What's new

Fountain pen PIF

OK, here goes . . .

$IMG_3361.jpg$IMG_3362.jpg$IMG_3363.jpg

The latest iteration, and probably what is being sent out pen-wise.

For any #5 nibbed pens (Nussbaum and Rosetta), I replaced the nibs with Knox EF or F nibs. The tiny plastic Ziploc with the Rosetta instructions has the original nibs - feel free to play mix and match.

1) Nussbaum Pens purple amesthyst, #5 Knox EF nib (or maybe a F nib). A very nice pen, but the step between the body and section makes it not as comfortable to use as I'd like (and consequently I haven't used it much).

2) Nussbaum Pens Nikolas, #5 Knox nib in EF or F. I generally prefer Western EF/Asian F nibs. Another nice pen, but it doesn't see much use.

3) Rosetta Napoleon, first edition, needs some work - a nice pocket pen, and I believe with the original nib. Unfortunately, it has 2 problems - a few fins on the feed are broken (still functional, I think) and the inside of the section slides around. This is because I didn't know that, in order to remove the feed/nib, you unscrew the body-side stainless inner tube from the other stainless (main section) before trying to remove it. Some superglue to secure the inside section to the stainless section would work well, I'd think.

Keep in mind that, like all Rosetta Napoleons, the cap screws onto the end of the body for a significantly longer pen. Also, like my other Napoleons, there is a tiny hole where the stainless clip goes through the acrylic into the inside of the cap. This causes the pen to dry out. The fix (which I have not done with my 2 Rosettas that I am keeping - 1 in the same purple and 1 in bright orange acrylic) is to take a bit of Elmer's white glue and dap it over the hole on the inside, rendering the cap airtight and allowing the ink to write readily even after a week or more of remaining capped per blogs I have browsed online.

The acrylic is really nice, in my humble opinion. And purple! I like them enough that I'm keeping my other 2 even with the section being narrower than the body by a significant amount.

4) Platinum Cool, medium nib - a nice pen with a semi-flex nib (I think) - you can get decent line variation with pressure in an Asian pen. The medium is just too wide for me.

5) Noodler's Ahab with flex nib in Vulcan somethingorother. Much has been written about the Ahab. Enjoy!

6) Noodler's Konrad in acrylic (ghost lapis) with flex nib. Another nice pen, but I have discovered that I don't like piston fillers (I like to be able to easily disassemble a pen and rinse it with water to switch colors).

7) Duke Ruby, medium-fine Asian nib. I debated on this one, but the metal body makes it heavier than I'd like. A nice pen otherwise.

8) Pilot Metropolitan in white tiger, medium nib. I prefer fine nibs, so this is too wide. Otherwise, a very smooth writer and a great pen. Again, the step-off may be an issue. For the record, at work I use 2 Pilot Metros (purple leopard and white tiger) in fine, carried in single pen sleeves for compactness. Or a shirt pocket when I have one.

9) and 10) 2 Pilot Plumixes (I think), 1 with an EF nib (which is too fine even for me! - the line isn't dark enough) and 1 with a stub italic.

11) A Wearever vintage with a missing end cap. Apparently, the replacement end cap (and original!) literally look like the old tire air stem covers for your car. Scratchy but functional. The nib may end up being a good one with some work.

12) Waterman, vintage, where neither I nor Danny Fudge could get the body off of the section to replace the sac and refurbish it. Feel free to take this one without it counting as a "taking 1 pen" because it needs a new sac and sac cement, and may need an oxyacetylene torch to get it apart.

13) A tiny vintage celluloid pen that hasn't been fixed up. Feel free to take this one without counting it as a "taking 1 pen", either. It was a LOT smaller than I thought it was on eBay! It also has some "celluloid rot" at the cap end so keep it away from your good celluloid pens from what I hear.

Platinum cartridge and a converter from . . . I forget.

Not shown - at least 1 bottle of ink (Private Reserve's Black Magic Blue) and some ink samples from Goulet, ranging from 1 to . . . a bunch. You have been warned.

Last edited:
Latest iteration of the rules - the box gets mailed sequentially to every person in the list. For simplicity, I'm going to go by the order in which people responded to my original post. Whomever has the box is responsible for postage and reasonable insurance (I'll probably pick $200 - $300). Tracking would be nice.

When you get the box, feel free to play with everything. Some of the pens are inked!!! You have been warned.

Please post your reviews/opinions/whatever in this thread. The idea is that all of us get to enjoy reading about what everyone thinks - that, and paying postage, is (ideally) the trade-off for trying everything and keeping a pen.

After a few days of playing with stuff, if you have a pen to donate then please add it to the box (if you don't have a pen that you are willing and ready to give up, don't worry about it) and please send it on to the next person on the list. I almost forgot - whomever has the box is responsible for updating the list! Please repost the list when the box moves on.

Please do not send anything back to me, as I am trying to declutter. One cut, I'm looking at you! :tongue_sm

I may end up posting my (smaller) collection of what I am not sending. :001_cool: I have decided to keep my Platinum Cool fine point, and my clear Platinum demonstrator with gold trim tht has a cheap plastic body but a very smooth, fine, dark line writing gold colored nib. :thumbup:

I will try to get this out next week sometime.

Last edited:
Michael Spotts - please message me as to where I am sending this thing.

Addendum - address received! Going out next week.

Last edited:
Michael Spotts
Staffman28
Traveling Man
Linedog59
Claudel Xerxes
cyfan2013
Al_S
Billski
Roderick
Jaybeez
Gig103
Nightcap
hthomas
PC94303
TexLaw
GloryUprising
MonoTiki
whtwolf
red zeppelin
Butchhe
ReshoeUSAF
natenaaron
SixStringPhil
Batman9402
Neffarious
hattr
slim62
Chadtheguru
mikeal
one cut
Aschecte
Mr Daniel

Holy cow . . . I think that we should limit the box to 3 business days (ideally) as this is a looooong list! Thoughts?

Update - I forgot the part about "add a pen" if you have one that you are willing to pass around. Optional.

This is all obviously on the honor system. I'd like for everyone to get a chance to enjoy this. Thanks!

I'm def. in! Need a new pen!
But, this isn't a pif, it's more like a pass around. Unfortunately, almost every time, someone keeps all of them and doesn't pass it on. Kind of the same thing? Kind of different? I dunno. lol.

I'm def. in! Need a new pen!
But, this isn't a pif, it's more like a pass around. Unfortunately, almost every time, someone keeps all of them and doesn't pass it on. Kind of the same thing? Kind of different? I dunno. lol.

I like to think that the number of people who would be dishonest/dishonorable is quite small relative to the number of honest/honorable people. Having said that . . . yes, this is always a risk.

Latest list-

Michael Spotts
Staffman28
Traveling Man
Linedog59
Claudel Xerxes
cyfan2013
Al_S
Billski
Roderick
Jaybeez
Gig103
Nightcap
hthomas
PC94303
TexLaw
GloryUprising
MonoTiki
whtwolf
red zeppelin
Butchhe
ReshoeUSAF
natenaaron
SixStringPhil
Batman9402
Neffarious
hattr
slim62
Chadtheguru
mikeal
one cut
Aschecte
Mr Daniel
The Count of Merkur Cristo
Greaserboi

Any further additions - please repost the list with your name added to the bottom.

Unless/until I hear differently, it's 3 days with the box and then mail it out as the list is pretty darn long. Obviously, if you can't mail out on a given day (Sunday, or maybe Saturday), then that doesn't count.

As before, my intent is to not monitor or police this. I'm relying on everyone to "play fairly". Historically, my experience has been that this works fine most of the time.

Any suggestions before the box goes out, please let me know. Thanks!

Hopefully, I will get a bunch of ink samples in the box as well. I may take a pic but I'm not going to name them. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom