What's new

Weight Belt Usage

I'm doing the Starting Strength program, I've been doing it on a off for a few years now. It works, I just keep falling off the wagon then getting back on. My question is, when do you use a weight lifting belt? I don't lift a ton, around 200lbs on my squat and a bit more on my deadlift, but my back is feeling it. I don't know if its just getting started again soreness, or if its a form issue.

Thanks!

If you can feel it, use it. As with all things weight training, it's a lot easier to go backwards than forwards. It might be form, might be out of shape, might be both, but better safe than taking 8 weeks off while you rebuild a strain or tear. Been there. Sucks. It's like Raylan Givens says on Justified: Growin old aint for pu$$ies..

I'd have to agree with Jared. If you're feeling pain that isn't the usual DOM's, then feel free to give a belt a try. There isn't really any hard fast rule to it. I'd also definitely take a step back and really critique your form as well. If you can, get an hour with a trainer and go through the big lifts with them so that they can help you dial in any needed adjustments. They can also pick up on lagging muscle groups that may need additional accessory work to catch up.

Its been a long time since I've lifted but back when I did(late 80s to 1996) belts were all the rage in the late 80s and everyone in the gym was wearing them for everything and anything. Then back injuries started going on the rise and in the 90s the gyms I used were blaming over use of the belts causing weak backs/trunks, belt dependency. The wisdom changed and then everyone was reducing weight and working on proper form. They only used the belts for maxing out during workouts or while competing. The wisdom has probably changed since back then but if you are working out just to get fit you are probably better off using lighter weight and being strict about proper form. A lot of the guys I lifted with back then who used heavy weights and did a lot of swinging and jerky motions are in bad shape when I run into them now. Their joints and backs are a mess. You don't think the stuff is hurting you and then you hit the late 30s/early 40s and stuff starts to hurt and ache that you thought was always fine or things that were fully healed 15 or 20 years ago and never gave you any problems suddenly decide you need to suffer in the mornings or at night.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
NSFW ... he says "$h!t" a couple of times ... but otherwise an interesting and worthwhile watch ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My usual rep scheme for squats is 3x5 or 5x5 ascending. I normally will put the gym's loaner belt on for the last set just to help with bracing.

I can't use the same 4" belt to deadlift. First of all I can't bend over and breath with it on, and I don't feel like I can organize my spine correctly with it on either.

Some of the older guys at the gym wear belts that are narrow in the front and wide in the back, I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of those are.

There are few belts to consider. ..

1. Powerlifting Belts
Powerlifters wear belts like the primarily because it allows them to squat and deadlift more weight. The potential safety benefit is a secondary concern.Belts designed specifically for the sport of powerlifting are heavy duty, stiff, and the same width all the way around. The fact that there is more surface area of your abs in contact with the belt, combined with the fact you've got a buckle that can be pulled as tight as you want without coming undone makes for a remarkable amount of internal pressure build up.

2. Velcro Belts
They are generally made of some synthetic material and because it is being held onto your body with only Velcro, there is a limit to how much force can be exerted against it before the Velcro simply pops off and your belt loosens. The amount of intra-abdominal pressure they generate is far less. You may get some added injury protection out of these, but you won't get much of a performance boost.

3. Bodybuilding or Traditional Belts

These belts, like the Bodybuilding.com version, are made of leather and are thicker in the back than in the front.They are only as thick as the belts that hold up your pants. They buckle and fasten in the same way as a powerlifting belt - they just aren't as strong.
What this means is that they provide less internal pressure than the powerlifting belts (because of a smaller front) but more pressure than a Velcro belt.

Wearing a belt is personal decision, but it shouldn't be taken too seriously. If you feel more confident wearing it, wear it. But if you find it awkward and uncomfortable, don't.All that matters is that you never let someone decide for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom