What's new

Aftershave samples review

The other sample thread appears to be mostly colognes.

I thought I might make my own thread with the after shave samples I have tried and will continue to go through.
The AS samples I have are a selection of:
Pitralon
Pinaud
Fine
Ogalla
Floid
Captain's Choice
ToBS
GFT
Dr Harris

I will mainly be giving a description of the scents not necessarily the feel.
I have been told I have a good nose, but it is not trained so this will be just an amateur's idea.
also a couple colognes in my samples.
If this thread is unnecessary then moderators feel free to PM me and delete.
Pictures in the next couple posts.

I'd like to give a shout out and thanks to the sample providers(I did pay for these, so I guess I provided them truthfully) but thanks to Garry's Sample shop, and Maggard's Razors.

Last edited:
Pictures of aftershave samples:
$0414150942b.jpg$0414150942.jpg$0414150942a.jpg$0414150948a.jpg$0414150948b.jpg

Pitralon Classic:
This scent seemed a little powdery, with a sweet candy scent. A little citrus and pine maybe. The powdery part of the scent reminded me of my mom's makeup case when I was little kid.
(The smell of a new pencil to me. Thought that would be weird to say but it is there. That may describe it better than the makeup case explanation.)

Last edited:
Pitralon Polar:
This one reminded me a lot of polo sport. still sweet but with that little bit of something else. SWMBO liked this one.

Pitralon Pure:
Citrus for sure. Slight powder scent similar to the classic. The citrus smells very lemony. Sweet- maybe this is a signature of pitralon's to have a candy sweetness.late scent includes a little vanilla but very faint.

(so these are the three I tried so far. will try a new one each time I shave and continue these updates. Hopefully it helps someone out.)

Pitralon Pure:
Citrus for sure. Slight powder scent similar to the classic. The citrus smells very lemony. Sweet- maybe this is a signature of pitralon's to have a candy sweetness.late scent includes a little vanilla but very faint.

(so these are the three I tried so far. will try a new one each time I shave and continue these updates. Hopefully it helps someone out.)

This one does sound good! How is it after it settles?

Most after shaves tend to fade and not be readily perceptible to others. That said so far it seems that the polar last the longest of the three. There Always seems to be a faint hint but others would have to get up close and sniff. I'll try and leave a longevity log if i notice one that really stands out.

this is a great thread! thanks for starting it and for all the work you've put into it. I cant seem to get Garry Johnson's email address thru the website. technical difficulties with the link.. do you have his address? I want to order some samples. thanks..

Pitralon Swiss:
This last one in my Pitralon line also has a lemony citrus smell. Different than the lemon in the Pure. No powder detected in this one. But there is still something sweet. Also a floral note. That is flowery smelling, but not rose not jasmine.....?

Last edited:
Floid Amber:
This one has a small menthol burn. It was actually kind of nice. Very cooling on the face.(That is funny- a burn that cools ^_^ )
It has a little musky smell very faint, some sweetness and a little bit of that barber shop powder smell as well.

Last edited:
Floid Black:
No menthol in this floid- this is a little spicy at first and then sweet.
First thought was pepper. Than after it smells like vanilla sugar. Maybe a bit of leather.

Floid Blue:
Definitely some menthol in this one. Smell reminded me of Brüt at first. Something a little woody also in there. After wearing for a little bit there was a clean fresh soap like smell. Almost like a sweet Irish Spring.

Floid Suave:
A little menthol here. Only a small amount of cooling. Lots of powder smell.
This one reminded me of Lysol. Lots of powder, baby powder scent, talc. whatever. to me just to much powder. I do not like powdery scents. That said if you like the classic barber shop smell and old time powder smell, then this is for you. Reminded me of my Grandma's bathroom. The Lysol smell toned down after the menthol wore off, but the powder was there for hours.
Wow this is one of my longest reviews. Definitely had an impact on me, but not a good one. I bet this scent is very polarizing.

Top Bottom