What's new

Aftershave samples review

Folsom & Company Capri:
Very sweet lemon scent. Has a sweet spice too in the background but this is mainly all lemon. Has a good burn and a nice freeze like the other AS from Folsom. Lasts about 4 hours and maybe a couple more up close but definitely not long lasting.

D.R.Harris Arlington:
This is a very citrus scent at first :lemo: plus another sweet smell. Goes on very strong. Lasts a long time. The secondary smell remind me a little of Eton college scent. I guess it is like a fougere scent if that is the proper term. At least it has that smell similar to other items I've smelled that are described that way.
The strength isn't overwhelming after 10 minutes. But it does last quite a bit. Close to 20hours
I might have to get the splash when I finish the balm based on this. It is a great scent but the balm doesn't linger. I know you aren't focusing on feel but any notes on Arlington and if it is drying or not?

I might have to get the splash when I finish the balm based on this. It is a great scent but the balm doesn't linger. I know you aren't focusing on feel but any notes on Arlington and if it is drying or not?
I'll have to try again as I do not quite remember but keep a look out as I have e some other DRHarris that I will try soon. Perhaps they are similar in feel but I'll try Arlington again in the mix.

Folsom & Company Shady Past:
A sweet tobacco scent, very mild. Nice spice, has a similar smell to a sweet musk when dry down. Has the same alcohol burn and menthol freeze of the rest in this line.
Overall I enjoyed F&C aftershaves. Didn't feel too dried out, and had some very nice scents.

D.R.Harris Windsor:
Orange is the top note on this one for sure. Very nice smell. It has something sweet in the background that I couldn't quite place. I looked up DRHarris website to see what it says and it mentions leather. I could see that it would be more like a sweet leather smell of a luxury car or couch. Possible but ti wasn't the first thing I thought of until I read it. Lasted maybe about 6 hours. No real burn no menthol cooling. It did leave my neck feeling a little dry but not bad.

D.R.Harris Sandalwood:
Ok- now this is what sandalwood should smell like. I usually have trouble with sandalwood as it can be pungent to me, but this was nice. This was a sweet sandalwood, very similar to smelling incense. Somewhat similar to Nag Champa incense which makes sense as that contains sandalwood. Nice sweet woody smell. Was not drying to the face, no great sting and definitely no cooling menthol. But the wife liked it and it lasted up close for quite a long time.
This one may be a purchase.
Warning this thread causes ASAD.

I've tried a sample of Vigorosso and preferred that somewhat toned done Suave. I agree that they smell very much alike. Maybe I'll try a sample of the Amber. There are places selling a large bottle of it for a pretty reasonable price.

I just picked up a bottle of Floid Suave locally for €6,50. It's not like I was running out of Floid already, but that's a 50% price reduction, so I could not resist :wink2:

Last edited:
I can't believe I haven't said this yet, but thanks very much to the OP for sharing such a wonderful wide survey with us! I really like having a lot of reviews by the same person in one place. Keep up the good work:thumbup:.

I can't believe I haven't said this yet, but thanks very much to the OP for sharing such a wonderful wide survey with us! I really like having a lot of reviews by the same person in one place. Keep up the good work:thumbup:.
Thank you for the compliment. I hope it helps out some, but tastes still differ.
enjoy.

D.R.Harris Marlborough:
So.. my sandalwood dilemma continues. Marlborough has a nice burn when put on. Definitely lets you know if you shaved rough. The scent is cedar and sandalwood. I really liked the DR Harris Sandalwood aftershave but this I couldn't handle. This has that pungent sandalwwod smell that justs takes my breath away, that is makes it hard for me to breath. I don't understand the difference, but it is. You'll have to try it for yourself to understand I guess, or maybe it is just me, A love/hate with sandalwood.
Didn't dry me out. But this one is a no for me on the scent.

D.R.Harris Pink:
Did I just splash water on my face? Oh wait it is coloured-- Oh I just splashed pink coloured water on my face.
That is how it felt. Although it was a little silkier than water, but not by much. This has no alcohol burn at all, not even an hint of a tingle. Not much of a scent either. Maybe a slight rose(?) smell, but cannot be sure. Made the face feel refreshed, but I like a little scent at least. This is for those with sensitive skin and want a super light scent that doesn't last.

This is an awesome thread, thank you for sharing your results! I only just discovered Maggard's when looking for samples of the Fine aftershaves (Platinum is my favorite so far), and Garry's samples were a Godsend when I was trying out a dozen AS, soaps, and creams 2 years ago.

Wish I took as good notes as you, keep the reviews coming!

This is an awesome thread, thank you for sharing your results! I only just discovered Maggard's when looking for samples of the Fine aftershaves (Platinum is my favorite so far), and Garry's samples were a Godsend when I was trying out a dozen AS, soaps, and creams 2 years ago.

Thank you. I love Maggard's- they ship faster than lightning and Garry's has awesome sample selections.

Wish I took as good notes as you, keep the reviews coming!

The best thing for me about this thread is that I can look back to see what I really liked. Notes are great and helping others out is even better.

I retried the Arlington, no drying feel that I noticed. It does have the alcohol burn and a slight menthol cooling. This time it didn't last quite as long on me but at least 12 hours.

Queen Charlotte Soaps Esquire:
Queen Charlotte sells balms. Esquire is a woody scent. Smelled of Cedar and Sandalwood to me. Yes Sandalwood again, but this one I liked.(I know crazy eh?) Stays on the woody side throughout. Wife thought it was too woody but I liked it. Comes in a pump bottle that squirts out a small amount at a time. Worked out nice. Felt really good except on my sensitive neck along the jaw line. Had a little irritation there. Overall I liked it, and may try another of their balms in the future. (Their Vostok looks very interesting)

Last edited:
Wholly Kaw fougere bouquet:
Doesn't remind me of other fougere scents that I have come in contact with. Still this was a good after shave. To me it had more of a dark earthy vanilla smell with a little bit of spiciness and wood. When I looked up the web site the vanilla scent must be actually Tonka Bean, makes sense since scents are similar. :)tongue_sm) (tongue twister at no charge) It has a nice alcohol burn and a strong menthol cooling. Good staying power. Didn't dry me out.

Wholly Kaw Jamestown Gentleman:
Alcohol bite and Menthol freeze. Made my face nice and tight but didn't dry me out. This had a nice scent. Sort of a sweet tobacco scent with a little spice and some sweet florals. Didn't last very long, maybe 4 hours.

English Leather:
Probably a mainstay in many shave dens. Very complex fragrance woody and sweet at the same time. Nothing particular stands out, but the wife liked this one. Very classy fragrance. Has a small alcohol bite but no menthol that I noticed.

British Sterling:
This is very perfumy to start. Has an alcohol bite. Not my favourite. The wife liked it after it toned down (she didn't get to smell it when I first put it on) Tones down to a slight smell that you get up close, reminded me a little of Stetson but not quite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom