What's new

Aftershave samples review

Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails:
Just like CC Bay Rum...... oh except there is a little extra. Starts out warm and then gets warmer, oh and now it is burning. Oh my it is hot put the fire out!:bayrum2: If you like bay rum and burn this is definitely worth a try. Lasts a long time too. The scent that is not the burn. Burn was gone within 5 minutes. Scent lasted at least 16 hours.

Captain's Choice Sandalwood:
Sandalwood is a strange scent to me. Sometimes I love it, other times it is taking my breath away. I am not sure why. It may just be my sensitivity at the time?
So this one I tried a couple times. Because of the above situation. It was just like sandalwood. Very earthy and sweet one moment then the next moment can become pungent and take my breath. Did not last too long, could smell up close about 8 hours later but not much.
If you are a sandalwood fan try it. I have to go easy.

ToBS Mr Taylor's:
Was very strong and perfume like at first. Faded about an hour to smell very similar to ToBS Mr Taylor's shaving cream. This is a very clean scent. Not really powdery but has that barber shop smell. I could smell it in the shower later that day. The perfume smell did stay around but only slightly. So although this is like the namesake shaving cream it has a little extra to it.

ToBS Eton College:
Starts out very floral. Very strong. Fades to smell similar to Eton College shaving cream but a bit stronger. Lasts a long time.

ToBS St. James:
All the TOBS scents are strong to start. This one is no exception. I don't have the St. James shaving cream, but this is a nice scent. swmbo liked it.
Seemed to me to be kind of a citrus orange smell. Maybe a bit of geranium. But smells nice.

ToBS Jermyn Street:
Another strong start. Almost too much. Not sure of its comparisons. Reminded me a little of drakkar, but only a little at first. This is definitely a bold scent. Fades in about an hour. Based on the description online i would say the amber seemed to linger the longest. But nothing stood out by itself. Very mixed scent. Probably a good 6 hours.

One other thing I noticed about the Jermyn Street that I didn't notice on the other ToBS- It was kind of oily. It left an oily residue on my hands and felt nice on the face. Probably good for someone with sensitive skin.

Last edited:
Geo. F. Trumper Spanish Leather:
Goes on somewhat strong. Has a musk smell with some vanilla. Didn't really smell any leather. I'd say this is a classic male scent. Lasts about 6 hours or so. Can still smell if up close for some time after that.

Geo. F. Trumper Lavender Water:
Very interesting scent. I expected a floral smell. There was lavender of course, very nice but wasn't sure how this could be a manly :a20: scent. But it was. There was a hint of musk that took over after it settled down. I'll have to try it again, but it was quite nice. Made me keep sniffing my upper lip. :wink2:Yeah- you know what I mean.

Geo. F. Trumper Spanish Leather:
Goes on somewhat strong. Has a musk smell with some vanilla. Didn't really smell any leather. I'd say this is a classic male scent. Lasts about 6 hours or so. Can still smell if up close for some time after that.

One of my favourites. It is rather strong at first. i do notice a leather scent to it, along with other scents.

It does last all day on me, which I like.

Ogallala Bay Rum:
At first it felt very mild. Took a half minute before I started to feel the burn. Nowhere near the burn of CC cat o' nine tails. Even so it was a nice warm burn. This scent was very pleasant. Not really the bay rum I knew in the past. Ogallala seemed to have more cinnamon in it than bay leaf. But over all it gets a plus.

Ogallala Bay Rum Sage and Cedar:
Pretty nice. The Cedar smell gives it something extra. Same Bay Rum smell as the original. Didn't notice sage so much, I think the bay rum and cedar just over power it. Lasts a long time.

Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood:
Interesting combo. Still the cinnamon based bay rum but the sandalwood is somewhat sweet smelling. I know that is odd as sandalwood can be rather pungent but this combination works. Again lasts a long time.

Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorns:
This one is strange. Bay rum and limes, kind of nice at first, but as it wears on something didn't smell right to me. Love the limes and the bay rum part is okay. maybe the peppercorns come out late and that was the oddness to it. Not really sure.

D.R. Harris Bay Rum:
Smells like bay rum but is very light. Not strong and didn't last very long.

Top Bottom