What's new

Frederick Reynolds Faux frame back/ faux tortoise resto

First off, forgive me for not being much of a photographer.. I'm working on it.

Here is a a little FR that I picked up whilst on a one year anniversary trip with my wife. I bought my first razor on our honeymoon, and so I'll just make a tradition of it from here on out :)

I paid two dollars for this 9/16's faux frame back and it even had the original coffin box.

Believe it or not, most of the center portion of the blade was actually still sharp enough to pop arm hairs. It showed active rust, but I've seen and tackled worse. I started by soaking the whole razor in neatsfoot oil. After about a week, I pulled it out and removed the hinge pin. Next, I used a brass wire dremel brush and removed the rust and water spots. The next step was a sandpaper progression followed by a light buff, then metal polishing compound.

The scales had some minor bug bites, some of which I filled with epoxy, and one on the face of the scales that I left open. This is my first set of Faux tortoise and I know they're dyed, so there can't possibly be much room to sand down a freshly epoxied hole. I was able to re-use the original collars and even left the wedge pinned. So, the only non original part of this razor is the rod used for the hinge.

It really boggles my mind when I think about how they made these tiny two piece collars 120+ years ago.

Anyway, here a few before and after photo's. Again, I'm not a photographer, and I do not have a photo box. Props to those that do though and take quality photos. It really helps me gain a sense of the fine detail that goes into a lot of the work I see here.
$DSCN3006.jpg$DSCN3007.jpg$DSCN3008.jpg$DSCN3009.jpg$DSCN3010.jpg

Nicely done. I've got a 7/8 that I just did a light clean up of the blade without a depinning. I really like mine, love the shaves from it.

Thanks guys, I'm going to hone it up soon. Can't wait to see how it shaves.

I think I'm done with trying to restore old scales though. It's so much more work and even though they're sturdy, they'll never look new again. Delamination, bug holes, stains. Maybe I just need to keep at it or be more selective in the scales that I "restore".

Top Bottom