SOTD 2015-04-18

Hot shower
Gillette 7 O'Clock PII razor and blade
Semogue 830
Haslinger Aloe Vera soap
Alum block
Aqua Velva Ice Sport AS

proxy.php

I don't know a single thing about straights, so forgive the ignorance. Is that waviness towards the middle of the blade normal/expected, or is that just an optical illusion?

Optical illusion....the edge is straight, just a bit of reflection/shadow from my scuttle.....I don't know that much about straights either, only 7 shaves into my straight journey, but I don't think I'd want to shave with a wavy blade! [emoji3]

Shave Ready Pre Shave Essential Oil Lavender
Proraso boar brush
Dr Harris Windsor shaving soap
Toyo Scheon Burg 666 straight razor
Speick aftershave
Azzaro Pour Homme EDT

Fresh shower / Muhle 31m536 Synthetic brush /Castle Forbes, Cedarwood and Sandalwood cream / Edwin Jagger 86811 / Feather / Osma Alum block / Nivea, Original Post Shave Balm / Fine, American Blend aftershave

$image.jpg

SOTD Apr. 18
Pre: Hot Shower
e-Shave Orange Sandalwood Pre-Shave Oil
Brush: Plisson Access Synthetic
Razor: Merkur HD 34C
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Soap: RazoRock XXX
Thayer's Witch Hazel With Aloe
Aftershave: D. R. Harris Arlington
D. R. Harris Aftershave Milk
Cologne: D. R. Harris Arlington

the means justify the edge
a reversal of fortune. yesterday's shaveless coup (a blow not struck) to today's (almost) bloodless coupe (a cut in the right direction).

failed to reach critical mass yesterday as the sands ran through the hourglass of my day. so, same tools, but an actual shave today.

second self-inflicted straight shave of my life and I managed to include every accessible region of my face (all the geography not occupied otherwise by my moustache).
$L1027769.png
honed-it-myself Torrey (on an itty, bitty coti).
clean up with ATT R2 Atlas & Polsilver SI.
Krampert's Finest Frost Bite lathered with an M6 Simpson.
Krampert's AS.

Doing one's whole straight-shaving beginner face might sound unwise and treacherous to some. The added wrinkle here, of course is navigating around this foliage. I can't say that it was easy. Getting the blade in my left/off hand between the left ear and the left moustache was a major challenge.
$IMG_0686.png
Miraculously, the ear and the 'stache are both intact. No, the moustache is NOT always this unruly. There's sometimes this:
$IMG_0709.png
or even this:
$IMG_0684.png

Last edited:
A two-fer SOTD today, as I used some new acquisitions both yesterday and today.
The Omega 49 is starting to break in nicely, it's an awesome face latherer, the Speick A/S and Catie's Bubbles Italian Barber perform great, and the Dolce & Gabbana EdT is fantastic, as expected.

Have a great shave and a great day everyone!

$SOTD 041815-1.jpg

Maggard Limes & Bergamot | Omega 49 | iKon OC Deluxe | Gillette Spoiler (6)
Speick | Dolce & Gabbana The One

Catie's Bubbles Italian Barber | Omega 49 | iKon OC Deluxe |Gillette Spoiler (7)
Speick | Dolce & Gabbana The One

Head & face shower shave. 2 days growth.

Technique: WTG / XTG / ATG/clean-up.

Prep: Shower.

Soap: Chiseled Face - "Summer Storm"

Brush: Ever-Ready 100T (my grandfather's, then father's brush) w/TGN Finest

Razor: Merkur Progress

Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless(1)

Post: Cold shower rinse. Chiseled Face "Summer Storm" Aftershave Splash. Death Wish Coffee infused 1740 Blackout Beard Balm.

I guess the stars were aligned. I received my Chiseled Face order as well as a PIF of a tuck of Treets today.

Straight off the puck, Chiseled Face's "Summer Storm" smells like wet earth and grass. A quick and perfect---I mean perfect lather develops the more subtle scents including musky floral notes and finally, ozone. Beats me how he so accurately reproduces a Summer rain storm, but this is spot on. The performance of this soap can not be out done by soaps three times the price. Chiseled Face may also be one of the more stable soaps I've used. A 45-second load yielded enough lather for a three-pass face shave followed by a three-pass head shave with clean-up. Just the time I take to perform a three-pass face shave would be enough for some of my other artisan soaps to begin to break down.

The Treet Platinum SS was a total surprise. I'm a long time Astra fan. A good friend PIF'd me the Treets, and I'm glad he did (Thanks, Mel). This felt much smoother than Astras, and I didn't know that was possible. The crown of my head can be a problem area, and my Treet-loaded Merkur Progress set at 3 glided over my scalp like glass. I was able to take long, fast sweeps on the third pass. BBS throughout. No weepers. No irritation. I can't wait to see how the Treets perform in a slant.

I finished off with Chiseled Face's "Summer Storm" Aftershave Splash. I recently commented that Chiseled Face's splashes are unique in that they clearly contain aloe, but they aren't sticky. It feels very nice and nourishing to my skin. My wife likes the scent, too. The earthiness vanishes rather quickly leaving a lingering musky floral, maybe jasmine, scent.

I've had some dry patches around my mouth, so I broke out the Death Wish Coffee infused 1740 Blackout Beard Balm for my van dyke. It's lanolin-based along with sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, and coconut oil. It's not only great for taming a wiry van dyke, it also heals chapped skin.

This was an outstanding, extremely comfortable shave.

proxy.php

I've got my straight razor training wheels on, so there is my "finishing" DE in the shot too. I did my cheeks with the straight and the rest with the Merkur 1904 42C/Polsilver blade. Using Dusy Kabinett soap and my giant Omega boar brush to whip up enough lather lots of passes. I did the flats of both cheeks while focusing on keeping the proper blade angle and not cutting my ears off. I did not know how to tackle my cheekbone area, so I relathered and did the flats again...wheeeeee!!!!! I need to watch more videos and see how others are getting the cheekbone area done. Finished off with some DR Harris Pink and then a blast of Czech & Speake 88 for the finishing touch.

$image.jpg

Sunday's Planned SOTD
Razor: ATT S2 Slant
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra (D11)
Brush: DaVinci 290
Bowl: Georgetown G12
Pre Shave Scrub: SPAtopia Dead Sea Scrub
Pre Shave Oil: Shea Moisture Iced
Shave Soap: Mickey Lee Drunken Goat
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum w Sandalwood

$P1060319.jpg

Omega 10066 brush