What's new

Looking for a little help

I found my long deceased Grandfather's (Poppy)old straight razor. Can anyone give me any info on the razor? Unfortunately it's an extra hollow grind where I myself am a fan of the heavy grinds to wedge .
The one side of the razor has printed "smooth Solingen-Germany".
The other side say's "G. D'AVANZO BROOKLYN, NY"
The razors edge looks to be in great shape and closes on center in the scales.
Again, any info would be appreciated! $PicsArt_1428886670662.jpg
$PicsArt_1428886617757.jpg

The gold lettering on the handle appears to end in -ingen. Is that Solingen? If so, ClassicRazors still lists the Dovo Solingen as a good novice straight razor, and supposedly Dovo has been making straight razors since the early 1930s. TOU do not allow external links but you can find it by googling "dovo solingen" or "solingen straight razor". Dovo Solingens are still sold on Amazon.
I figured perhaps the D'AVANZO engraving was for the owner, reseller, or barber, much as you are finding. Maybe they could be ordered in lots with engraving.

That looks like a very nice, vintage piece of German steel! I too am a fan of heavier grinds, but if it were me I would clean and hone that thing up and reminisce about my grandfather every time that I used it! I would give anything to have one of my grandfathers razors, especially in the condition yours is in. Congrats on the best shaving score you could ever have! :thumbup1:

That looks like a very nice, vintage piece of German steel! I too am a fan of heavier grinds, but if it were me I would clean and hone that thing up and reminisce about my grandfather every time that I used it! I would give anything to have one of my grandfathers razors, especially in the condition yours is in. Congrats on the best shaving score you could ever have! :thumbup1:

Thanks! That is exactly what I am going to do with it!

The gold lettering on the handle appears to end in -ingen. Is that Solingen? If so, ClassicRazors still lists the Dovo Solingen as a good novice straight razor, and supposedly Dovo has been making straight razors since the early 1930s. TOU do not allow external links but you can find it by googling "dovo solingen" or "solingen straight razor". Dovo Solingens are still sold on Amazon.
I figured perhaps the D'AVANZO engraving was for the owner, reseller, or barber, much as you are finding. Maybe they could be ordered in lots with engraving.

Thanks!

Agreed with the above, clean that baby up and enjoy it in good health, bot of my grandfathers have now passed away and I to wails give anything to have an item like that to remember each of them by.

Top Bottom