What's new

Folding knife or sheath knife for an Emergency kit?

I'm going to install a box in the SUV, 38x17x whatever height i end up with. I plan on th typical camping stuff, tow strap, tools, and such. one of the things on the list is a knife. I'm leaning toward a sheath knife in addition to a leatherman type multi tool.

Suggestions welcome

I have this in my kit in my 4x4 and it is a very tough little guy - ESEE Izula. Knife is practically bulletproof and is not to big or too small....

$DSC01724.jpg

Go with a sheath type Bowie size knife, so many uses that a folder can't do without risk of damage. Check your local laws, having it in your vehicle may constitute carrying a concealed weapon in some states.

Legion

Staff member
Considering it is something you are going to store away, and not intend to use except in an emergency, for the price you can't go wrong with either of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-1...=UTF8&qid=1428889861&sr=8-1&keywords=buck+110

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-119BKS-S...=UTF8&qid=1428889906&sr=8-1&keywords=buck+119

They are high enough quality to count on, but inexpensive enough to sit away unused.

I had a Buck 110 that was my EDC, on my belt when I worked in the bush. It never let me down.

I would still go with a sturdy sheath knife, since it is going to be living in the car, so weight is not an issue.

Forget the humungous bowie. Carry a quality hatchet and a folder. The bowie was a fighting knife that became obsolete along with the muzzle loaders that it supplemented. It will neither chop as well as a hatchet, nor take that sliver out or dress small game as well as a jackknife. Large belt knives are popular with the Rambo wannabes.

Did the same this week. Decided to go with a Scandinavian knife made of Sandvik stainless steel in a plastic sheath. I have had experience with a knife stored in a car in a leather sheath and it pitted badly over the years. The leather holds moisture on the blade.

There are a number of manufacturers (Mora, Hultafors, Marttiini). They are tough and durable knives designed for rugged use in bushcrafting. Typically they are 8" total length with a 4" blade. They probably are the best knife value around. Most models are $10-$20. I wiped the blade down with Boeshield T9 to protect the blade before packing it away.

Here is the product listing for Morakniv, the best known manufacturer. Hultafors and Marttini are similar. I have had several Mora knives and ordered a Hultafors to check out their quality. I paid $12 for the knife on Ebay with free shipping to the US from ENGLAND. I got the knife last week and the quality was really outstanding.

http://www.moraofsweden.se/products-1.0.127.2

Good luck!

Last edited:
The Morakniv knives are the best value out there.
Ragweed Forge and Amazon generally have the best deals on them.

They are like potato chips though, you won't stop with just one.
I currently have four or is it five?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Include an inexpensive knife in that box.

I have some folding knives that cost only a dollar. They are stainless steel, so they will resist rust.

I rarely use an emergency kit.

Put a cheap folding knife in that box.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There are several good suggestions mentioned, but I would put a bit more thought into the matter rather than just going with any one suggestion of what the best knife to have in an emergency is. Where are you liable to be and what are you liable to be doing? What might your specific needs be? Survival in a wooded forest? Stuck in the snow? Self defense? First aid. Vehicle extrication? Where I live there are many roadside water filled ditches and canals. People tend to flip vehicles over into said water obstacles and drown in a few feet of water because they can't get out of their car/truck. I keep a folder in a pouch attached to my shoulder harness of my seat belt. If I'm upside down, it will slide up to around my face. Seat belts don't release under tension. If I'm conscious, I should be able to easily access that knife and free myself from the seat belt. Although I always carry a folder or two in my pockets, it is not easy to get to in a seated position and may fall out and be lost in a roll over situation. It's also nice to have something to bust glass with. That solid pommel of the USAF sheath knife would do, or a spring loaded punch, an axe, etc. Find yourself in mud or snow? A folding GI Entrenching tool fits under the rear seat along with my jumper cables and a space blanket. Game all of the possibilities you are likely to find yourself in and a few that aren't so likely! Think of the worst case scenario. Also have something you can reach while still in the drivers seat, you may not be able to get to that storage box in some situations.

Last edited:
These are the three I'd go with. A Buck 0120 General Fixed Blade Knife, a Buck 110 folding knife, and a Leatherman multi tool might come in handy as well.$71mjpwabI4L._UY600_.jpg$610LBKkCepL._UY600_.jpg$81A-M9bkUzL._UY600_.jpeg

I have both....things that are hard to improvise/create I try to carry more than one.

Heard it said two is one and one is none, guess I took it to heart long ago.

A Buck Paklite 143-----$20 at Walmart------skeleton handle fixed blade and comes with a decent nylon sheath---black coating for better grip and protects from rust---made in the USA at least the knife itself is.

I have a CRKT rescue in my car, in a side pocket easily reachable by me. It doubles as my survival knife for emergencies. Someday I'll supplement it with a good size Leatherman. I know that those are tough, can be used for just about anything including gutting deer, etc. and are immensely versatile.

Top Bottom