What's new

SciTX's Shave Journal

S1
I thought it would be a good idea to keep track of things...maybe help me remember to repeat the good and avoid repeating the bad things...first entry I basically have just cut and pasted from my "first shave" post in the General Straight forum

So yesterday I went and saw Heespharm to pick up my grandfathers Henkel's Twin Works razor that he had honed and lightly restored for me. Well, let's just say that Hees is an awesome guy and I could talk to him about razors for hours....not only did he have the razor looking fantastic but he also PIF'd me some other goodies including another razor, a case, a couple of sleeves, some pastes and a 3" strop! I was truly stunned by his generosity and this straight newb feels like he hit the jackpot!

Yesterday around 2:00 I had a quick shower before my son's soccer game and I couldn't wait to try the Henkels...I should have waited...I didn't have time, and even though I got in a north/south cheek pass I managed to nick myself on the left cheek using my left hand...and finished off with my Red Tip...and stropped the razor with my Whipped Dog poor man leather strop.

Well this morning I was determined to do it right...I got everything and everyone in the house set and then got ready...I got the 3" from Heespharm put on a doorknob and started with 10 nice slow passes on the cloth side...then I warmed up the leather with my palm and went for about 25 passes on the leather...I showered, washed my face well and took to the sink...a warm slick batch of Tabac using my WD synthetic brush, some Noxema as a preshave and I was ready...and sweating.

I stretched and was able to do a north/south right side pass with my right hand and a the same on the other side with my left...then I went to the jawline and neck and while the angle and approach was a bit harder to figure out I was able to do the same, right side with right hand and left with left hand....I did my chin area with my right hand and then with carefully went for the upper lip...touchy, a bit scary but got it done....and my whole face had been shave with a straight razor!!

I took a breath and then did the same thing again...north/south whole face....I was really surprised how close the shave was and to get BBS I did a quick ATG pass with my Red Tip. I stropped 20 passes on the leather, cleaned up and was one happy camper....this is a really great way to shave....I am a bit irritated and I managed to draw a few weepers on the horizontal crease of my chin below the lip getting to cocky, but other than that...really happy.

Observations:

*Stropping on a 3" is much easier than on a smaller one as it covers the whole blade...I would suggest that a newb like me get themselves one.

*The second pass is much easier than the first for me as my whiskers have been greatly reduced....I'm really glad I went for the second pass because it was a lot smoother

*I'm glad that I'm using both hands from the get go...it's not as hard as I thought it would be and it does make it easier for me to not have to get funky angles and grips using just my right hand...but I know many use one hand and that's cool too.
Last night I sat around with my Sam Seong shavette with no blade and just practiced with my left hand (thanks for the tip Hees!) and I think it helped a lot.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Welcome to the deep dark hole that is straights ... and strops. Oh yeah, can't forget hones as well. :001_smile

Using both hands out of the gate puts you ahead of where I currently am. I've tried the two-handed method and it feels funny. My left hand is now my "stretcher" while the right wields the blade. Have a read through some of the other journals and you'll probably pick up a few good hints and ideas, as well as meeting some pretty cool folks.

I started Right Hand only, but I now use both - I use the right *more* but I normally shave my WTG and XTG passes on my left with my left hand.. I kinda got guilted into it by McVeyMac and and I'm now glad I do that. I will sometimes now shave my neck ATG with my right hand on left, and left hand on right, but just do what works for you.. there's no one "right" way. ;)

I do the WTG and the XTG passes ambidextrous, but my ATG passes are still dominant hand. Every now and then I give it a go, but quickly revert back to dominant hand. As phat says, no right or wrong approach, but I am glad that I forced myself to go ambidextrous for the passes that I do.

S2

Okay, day 2 and I've decided that for the first two weeks I am going to continue you with just the same 2 WTG passes...first to knock things down and second to try and get close.

Went with my go to MWF and the WD synthetic again....before showering I took the Henkels to the strop...much slower and more careful to keep spline and edge on the strop....probably 15-20 on the cloth and 30 or so on the leather...hot shower ending with a face wash, then to the sink

first pass was easier than yesterday, now that the jitters were gone...quicker but having trouble with the very bottom of my neck on the left side with my left hand....second pass easier but did nick a bit with the tip on the left side of upper lip getting to that spot with my right hand....after I was done it didn't feel as close as yesterday, but I certainly had less irritation...40 or so passes on the strop and I finished with my grandfathers NDC Super Speed...so todays shave was with BOTH of my grandfathers razors and that was VERY cool...the clean up passes with the DE go so fast after the straight passes and my face feels great.

My two GD's from Frank Misa should be here tomorrow and I look forward to trying them out.

S3

shave today went pretty well other than a nice nick on the chin when I got to quick and basically bounced the blade onto my chin with my right hand....did two pases WTG cheek, chin, neck and upper lip...upper lip gives me the most trouble along with the bottom inch or two of my neck....when I get to the bottom of my neck it just seems hard to get the angle right and keep the blade moving, it kind of feels like it just wants to dig in and then I get worried and back off....my upper neck is a bit similar, but it seems if I commit to the stroke and keep the blade moving I do okay.....the bottom of my neck is still irritated today, and I may stop before I get there for the next few days and just do that area with my DE.

I think the biggest trouble area other than the bottom of my neck is my upper lip and chin....I'm just having trouble finding a perfect angle of attack...it's getting easier I guess, but these spots have bled every time

used MWF, B&B boar....did 20 passes on cloth and 50 on leather before shaving and then 60 passes on leather after shaving....I will say that I am getting MUCH better at stropping...my learning curve there is much better than at actually shaving!! I do enjoy though!

Last edited:
S4

Well today was kind of a breakthrough day for me and my straight....I switched razors to the one that Heespharm gifted really just to see how it shaved and I really liked it...I know my technique is getting better with every shave but this blade just felt more comfortable on my face.

Tabac soap, my dad's cheap VDH boar brush....a hot shower, face wash and Proraso green as pre for my first pass only...wet lather and I am getting much more at ease starting my pass and going upper cheek to jawline...even with the left hand I'm feeling pretty good...I'm stretching better as well and I really see the benefit there....as far as the neck, I decided to stop with about the bottom 2 inches unshaved and that REALLY helped me not be irritated....actually, my face feels great today compared to days 1-3....starting to get angles better and after my two N/S passes I had a pretty close shave.

Getting more and more stoked about this...actually feel like there's light at the end of the tunnel.....it's still REALLY far away, but I think I can see it!

S5

another very nice shave with the Schulze from Heespharm...before my shower I went with 20 passes on the cloth and probably around 50 on the leather after warming the leather side of the strop with my palms....hot shower, face wash, Proraso green pre, Tabac, Whipped Dog Silvertip...great line up

Getting more comfortable each day, first pass I did N/S from top of my cheeks to a line around the top of my adam's apple...I'm really trying to avoid neck irritation...no blood at all! I was even able to get up close to my nostrils, something I haven't been able to do before....the mustache area is proving to be my biggest challenge

Second N/S pass yielded similar results except I did manage to reopen my chin cut from two days ago...but not too bad at all...and I got two tiny weepers...so much for my no blood shave!...but still, I can feel the shaves getting closer and clean up with my DE is super quick and easy.

I saw that my GD's from Frank Misa have arrived in North Houston and hopefully will make it to me today....I'm also eyeing ebay and I'm looking forward to some trips into the wild to search for a razor or two locally....last time I went out all that I saw were straights, just a few, and that was before my turning to the SR side of shaving.

S6

well today I tried one of the new GD's I got from Frank Misa....he was great to deal with and I think the razors look great! as far as the shave....I did one pass with the acrylic wood grain handle one and I really like the way it feels...I do think I like Heesoo's edge a little bit more....I'll try the other GD tomorrow and see...still all in all a very nice shave less blood today just a couple minor weepers on the upper lip and barely reopened the chin cut...slightly irritated today but nothing major although the left side above moustache was red so I'll need to be careful there...and I did manage to do that blade curl thing that gets me close the nostril, something on day 1 I thought would be impossible....my face is a bit battle scarred from week 1 but I will heal and I'm having a good time!

I really am getting better everyday, and using the left isn't even that scary anymore...maybe this weekend I'll try a modified XTG on cheeks and see how that goes....going to start mixing in some other soaps/creams as so far it's only been Tabac and MWF...which are my favorites! maybe time to get another bowl of Proraso, since I need a jar of pre. I didn't strop to start and maybe that will change the feel of the GD a bit....I did give it 30 or so passes when I finished.

I'll strop up that other GD 50 passes tonight or so and have at it again tomorrow!!

MWF
Vie Long 14095b
GD wood handle
Original Schulze 2nd pass
clean up SS with Rapira PL
witch hazel
Clubman Musk
Jack Black moisturizer

S7

My 1 week straight anniversary! and it's today that I have become a believer in the strop and a good stropping. The edge on the my first GD was okay, but I guess I just prefer a different feel, so today I tried the other one but not before I gave it 30 passes on the linen last night and 100 on the leather....and then today I did the same before my shave and the edge felt really nice!

Today's shave was a really nice, slow, relaxing pace. A long hot shower, artisan bath soap Liggett's shampoo bar, and a nice Nivea hydrating face wash right before getting out....towel dry, leaving my face wet. Refill my scuttle that had been warming, put on some Proraso green pre shave, load up my brush and make a nice slick lather with my original Proraso green tub (one I haven't used in a long time and is the first soap I ever had). Lather up my cheeks and have a nice N/S pass top of cheeks to lower neck...but I do rewet my neck before going jawline down.

Did a second N/S pass and then began my first attempt at an ear to nose pass....cheeks I did right hand, left side and left hand, right side...but jawline and under chin I found easiest to go kind of upside down grip right hand, right side and left hand, left side...I tried a few different approaches and this pass took a long time but in the end this grip is what felt best on the neck...I did manage to get a few weepers..one on the left jawline and few on the chin and upper lip as I get braver and try to get a closer shave on these spots.

All in all I can say that this is as a close a shave as I have performed with a straight, and while I have a bit of irritation(mostly on my upper lip and jawline) I think I did pretty good.

I gave the GD from yesterday 50 on the linen and 100 on the leather and I'll do the same tomorrow before I shave and see if that helps the feel of the blade....the ritual is becoming addicting.

Proraso green pre
Proraso green soap
Semogue 1800
GD checkered scales
NDC Gillette Super Speed for clean up w/Rapira PL
witch hazel
Shulton OS Fresh Lime
Bull Dog moisturizer
View attachment 565358

S8

well I am amazed at what stropping does for a blade...this Gold Dollar shave was okay when I first got it but after 50 on the linen and 100 on the leather last night and then 30 linen and 60 leather before shaving this morning made a big difference in feel for me...and I'm getting better at stropping as well...x-strokes are easier and I'm getting comfortable with flipping on the spline and using lighter pressure.

nice long shower after stropping with a face wash, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Plisson synth....went with my usual N/S pass and I'm getting really comfortable with it, even on my neck...finding it's much better when I go nice and slow/light...pass two I went ear to chin on cheeks and N/S on the neck pretty much....ear to chin on the neck using my left hand on the right side just didn't feel comfortable yet and I was bit shaky so I didn't try....using the same hand/side on the cheek was a little sketchy but I was able to do it.

I actually tried a bit of an ATG on the cheeks and right hand I did okay, but again the left hand didn't want to cooperate. I didn't push it and finished up with the NEW lc...super nice shave and soon I'll be getting close enough with the straight that the DE will only be needed to get the near BBS that I like.

View attachment 565595

S9

well this routine is starting to work...my usual 2 passes now...1 true N/S and then my modified ATG (ear to chin on cheeks and chin to ear diagonal on neck). I'm getting a bit more comfortable with every pass...but when I go XTG and the blade hits my thicker whiskers it feels like it wants to stop, I've found that a light touch helps but still it makes me nervous.

the two passes are actually getting very close in some spots, and then again not so close on others....I went with the Henkels today...Heesoo told me to give it a run on my WD balsa strop...I gave it 10 on the red and 10 on the green...then went to 60 on the leather. This morning I gave it 25 on the linen and then 60 or so on the leather...the blade felt great.

Oh I forgot to add ....only one slight weeper on the upper lip that didn't even need the styptic pencil! That's my first straight shave that I didn't have to use that thing! Sometimes it the little things.

Tabac
Vie Long Zurito Blanco
Proraso green pre first pass
Noxema all other passes
Henkels 5/8
witch hazel
Old Spice Musk
Bull Dog moisturizer

Last edited:
You're doing great! Keep at it. I'm not that far ahead of you, and the RAD sure hits early here on the "dark side"!

First one with no styptic? well that's a milestone in and of itself! congrats!

sounds like you're getting the stropping figured out too - better stropping will make a big difference to you as well. (and your edges will last)

It sounds like you are starting to settle into your ruotine. Being able to discern the quality of the edge is being revealed to you, and you will adjust your maintenance techniques accordingly. This is why I also got into honing in a pretty big way. My RAD is now in check as I have more than enough razors to last me the rest of my life now that I know I can keep an exceptional edge on them.

S10

well you knew after yesterday it just had to happen.....today the Henkels square bit me....left hand left cheek, first pass...made an adjustment of my grip and the blade was still to close to my face and that baby got me....I had given her a nice stropping and the blade was keen...a pretty good half inch cut that wasn't deep but bled for a good bit.

Wanted to stop the bleeding, so I just did a quick pass and a half with my NEW long comb, cleaned up and tended to my wound...I was pretty ticked that I lost focus like that, but it was bound to happen as my confidence was building....I will persevere.

so a crappy 1/2 pass with the straight and a nice battle scar for my students to ask about...yeah!

back at it tomorrow....but with one of my round GD's!

It sounds like you are starting to settle into your ruotine. Being able to discern the quality of the edge is being revealed to you, and you will adjust your maintenance techniques accordingly. This is why I also got into honing in a pretty big way. My RAD is now in check as I have more than enough razors to last me the rest of my life now that I know I can keep an exceptional edge on them.

First one with no styptic? well that's a milestone in and of itself! congrats!

sounds like you're getting the stropping figured out too - better stropping will make a big difference to you as well. (and your edges will last)

You're doing great! Keep at it. I'm not that far ahead of you, and the RAD sure hits early here on the "dark side"!

Thanks guys...it was going great until this mornings minor blood letting....oh well there's always tomorrow!

Ouch! It's amazing how easy it is to just loose focus for a second . . . .
I hear you....well here it is....pic isn't great, my cell phone with the wife taking it.....but you get the point (pun intended)...I may not shave at all tomorrow and give it another day to heal up

$IMG_0031.jpg

Top Bottom