What's new

The Realities of the CA Drought and Our Shaving Habits

I've been lurking around here for a while now, and after seeing a few discussions on water-saving and how wet-shaving is impacted by droughts, I felt like it might be time to have a real discussion about our habits.

I've been shaving with an Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl for about a year and a half now, and it's been wonderful!...but as a California resident, my transition to classic safety razor shaving couldn't have come at a worse time. I shaved in the shower once or twice but was disgusted by how much water I was wasting, so I immediately switched to shaving at the sink.

After a few months of cuts and knicks, I felt confident in my ability, so I challenged myself to use less and less water (filling the basin half way, shaking/cleaning my razor off in the basin water rather than running clean water over it, etc), and I've gotten it down to the point where I can probably get away with maybe half a gallon of water (pre-rinse, so probably a gallon total).

But that's not good enough for me, and I'm beginning to wonder if I should switch back to an electric razor. If the water savings weren't enough, the energy savings are phenomenal. Charging a battery takes a lot less energy than heating a gallon of water. And if we want to get REALLY deep into it, many batteries produced today are very recyclable. Understandably, the quality of shave will go down (you can't get something for nothing- first law of thermodynamics!), but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

This drought is by far the worst on record. It's not going to get better next year. But damned if I don't love my razor :D

So CA residents, I ask you:

How have your habits changed? Have you considered switching your shaving method to save water? And for those that it applies to...do you have greywater recovery systems installed so you can continue on with your shaving habits?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Here in southern Ohio we have plenty of water. I have no need to save water. But I do. I don't waste anything.

I use only 1.5 quarts of water. I heat them up , and then put a wash cloth in. Then I apply that to my face. Then I shave with the rest of the water. I use only a small amount. Is that too much for your area?

I don't believe the modest amount of water we use to shave is going to trigger the Apocalypse. The thrust of water saving is aimed at people that water lawns in the desert, wash cars and fill olympic size swimming pools.

In a worst case scenario you could probably get by with a couple of cups of water to swish the razor in and a can of Barbasol. That could hardly be construed as wasting water.

Remember the vast majority of our electricity is coal fired, so no matter what you do in life it seems someone is not going to be pleased with how you do it.

Good luck.

Hello and welcome to B&B. Great to have you here. Don't stop the DE. Using a little water is not going to stiff the planet.

Maybe stop filling the basin at all? How much water could 6 or 7 2-second razor rinses be? I assure you, your DE water use habits - one way or the other - will neither resolve nor exacerbate the situation.

Want to have some of our rain? :wink2:

But seriously, the little amount of water that I use for shaving is not going to contribute to any water shortage. I have to wash my face, and take a shower, anyway. And I use a small plastic bowl in my sink, and fill that with warm water. That's all the water I use for soaking my brush, lathering, and for rinsing the razor during my shave.

The ony water I maybe "waste" is in rinsing my razor and brush clean afterwards, and in rinsing off my face.

80% of the water used in California is for agriculture, and people have to eat. Other commercial interests take a significant share too, and people have to have jobs. By the time you figure in residential use, relatively little is left. Of that residential share, shower and toilet use takes the greatest share. Maybe you can do a greater part by filling a couple buckets, or a jerry can, in lieu of a shower. Pour the water over yourself. Soap-up and shampoo while no water is running. Then pour a rinse over yourself. You would likely use a fraction the water of a continuously running shower head. For the toilet, reduce the flushes to mostly solid waste. You would save a significant amount of water that way, and can better justify the luxury of a good shave.

Interesting first post. I don't live in California, but without getting political, the problems in California go far and beyond a shave. This has been a self imposed problem by the state.

With that said, welcome to B&B....

While in the shower give a fast rinse to wet yourself, turn the water off, shampoo & lather, then rinse off. That would save you a lot of water & water heating costs.

Interesting first post. I don't live in California, but without getting political, the problems in California go far and beyond a shave. This has been a self imposed problem by the state.

This. Exactly this.

-- I probably don't know anything about California, or its political situation, so I deleted my comment --

Last edited:

You hit the proverbial nail right on the head!
Amen, brother.

I had been thinking about how I could use less water for my shave.

For me, a good shave is all about hydration. I had been running hot water over my face for a long time in the shower in order to achieve this. But it occurred to me that barbers achieve a good shave without having their clients take a shower first. So I experimented last Sunday with a hot towel technique using a wash cloth microwaved in a bowl of water. It was great, and that's what I've been doing all week.

Luxurious feel, lets you decouple the shower and the shave, lets you take as long or short a shower as you like, no steamy mirror, no mad rush to get toweled off and the shave cream applied before things dry out. And very little water.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
First, a big welcome to B&B from another Californian.

I've been a victim of this ongoing drought a couple of years now, I have a well that isn't deep enough and goes dry occasionally. I've been watching my water use for years and can't believe the utter waste some people make. Anyway, a half gallon is very miserly, good job! That amount is nothing in the big scheme of things right now.

The biggest waste of water is for the hot water to reach my kitchen sink, not wet shaving.

That's easily saved and can be used to water plants.

In most developing nations men are shaving with a cup of water. You could always buy a Gillette Guard and dip the razor in a cup. It doesn't cost a lot to use, and its specifically designed to just be swished in a cup of water in between swipes.

Hot towels instead of a shower is the way to go to save water. Then shave with cold or lukewarm water.

You can also do what I do when I'm pressed for time - do a one-pass shave and touch up with an electric later.

In most developing nations men are shaving with a cup of water. You could always buy a Gillette Guard and dip the razor in a cup. It doesn't cost a lot to use, and its specifically designed to just be swished in a cup of water in between swipes.

My dad always used a small bowl with water, and I still do the same. The fact that it is "wet" shaving does not mean that you should waste water.

I think in California they are asking you to cut your water consumption by 25% per household. Seems like a reasonable goal.

Top Bottom