What's new

Iotn 8/7/06-8/13/06

I go away for a week, and there are only three measly posts in the IOTN thread, two of which are Ouch's.... Let's step it up this week, folks.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Hey, I gave it my best shot.:lol:

Thank God you're back. Hopefully, this thread will resume its former glory.

Tonight was frantic, fast paced cookin' on the fly- just the way I like it. Got home late from work, had to hear about how my son wound up getting stitches today (long story), so I was under the gun.

...Run out to the garden. Hmmm, what can I find? Grab some nice ripe tomatillos, some serranos, some herbs...Run back inside, clean them up and under the broiler they go. Into a food processor with some cilantro - boom - fresh salsa verde. Man was that serrano hot....Hmmm, some ripe avocados... smash them up, dump in some of that salsa, some lime juice, etc. - fresh guacamole.... Hmmm, some tortillas in the fridge, some pepper jack cheese, frozen corn, a can of black beans.... layer those bad boys up...
IMG_2550_2_1.JPG

Brush 'em with oil, sprinkle with Maldon's Sea Salt, and into a pan....
IMG_2551_3_1.JPG

Corn and black bean quesadillas, fresh salsa verde, guac.... snap that picture before they are all gone....
IMG_2552_1_1_1.JPG

Pass another Corona - what a day.

For the wife's birthday dinner we had lovely lobster tails, prepared a la Jasper White's pan roasted method.

You sear the lobsters, shell down, in peanut oil, then move the pan to the oven for 5 or 6 minutes--remove the lobsters, and deglaze the pan with some bourbon, white wine--reduce--and then add taragon or chervil and some chives--then mount with a stick of cold butter cut in cubes. Return the tails to the pan and turn out onto a warm serving dish. I added some crab meat to be a bit more decadent.

Here's a picture from Jasper's Summer Shack web site. Obviously, he used whole lobsters, which are not so great in Michigan.

We also had some crab cakes with homemade tartar sauce, a caprese salad, fresh sweet corn--which we do do well in Michigan!--and a few bottles of Pinot Grigio. And topped it off with a torte of blackberries.

Yum.

mrob said:
For the wife's birthday dinner we had lovely lobster tails, prepared a la Jasper White's pan roasted method.

You sear the lobsters, shell down, in peanut oil, then move the pan to the oven for 5 or 6 minutes--remove the lobsters, and deglaze the pan with some bourbon, white wine--reduce--and then add taragon or chervil and some chives--then mount with a stick of cold butter cut in cubes. Return the tails to the pan and turn out onto a warm serving dish. I added some crab meat to be a bit more decadent.

Here's a picture from Jasper's Summer Shack web site. Obviously, he used whole lobsters, which are not so great in Michigan.

We also had some crab cakes with homemade tartar sauce, a caprese salad, fresh sweet corn--which we do do well in Michigan!--and a few bottles of Pinot Grigio. And topped it off with a torte of blackberries.

Yum.

What does IOTN stand for? I honestly don't care... if I see food like this on the site, I am going to keep coming back and back again to this thread. That lobster made my knees go all wobbly......

Sue, who is drooling again.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
mrob said:
--then mount with a stick of cold butter

Sounds like Brando in Last Tango.:rolleyes:

That was some dinner. Lucky lady.

I promised my nine year old that I would make her any dessert she wanted if she learned how to jump rope or dive off of a springboard. She mastered both, so today I made her chocolate mousse with creme anglaise, as well as creme brulee. Her favorite part, of course, was using a blowtorch. She couldn't believe I wasn't kidding about that part.:lol:

Sue- It's Indulgence Of The Night

OH! Thank you Ouch... hmm.... I like that idea. Dinner is about ready tonight.... I will take a pic!

Sue (get the butter!)

Cajun style Mahi Mahi... don't I ask, I don't have a clue...lol
Black Beans and Rice
Spicey Shrimp
Blueberries with Fruit Dip..
Burgundy Cherry Ice Tea

Fruit Dip is 50/50 Philly Cream Cheese and Marshallow Fluff with some vanilla

Fall is coming- last night was just a gorgeous, cool night. After the kids were asleep, I headed outside with a pipefull of Pease' Blackpoint and a snifter of Cardenal Mendoza. Pure bliss.

Top Bottom