What's new

DE's making a comeback?

As a relative new guy to these discussions, my opinion is that wet shaving with a DE is a niche market. Yes, it is fun and enjoyable, but does take a little extra time. That being said, I don't think I will go back to the electric shaver or the Mach 3 anytime soon.

I have to believe their making a comeback. More and more folks are joining this forum. Just look at how his little group has grown.

Look at the price of razors or the numbers that go through Ebay or our own B/S/T each week.

It's not only the best shave going but it's also healthier and green.

I wouldn't use internet activity nor prices of things on Ebay as a judge of a comeback. Look instead to mainstream retailers. In my opinion they are telling us, nay shouting, there is no comeback. Proraso? No longer in Target. Palmolive lathering shaving cream? Dropped from U.S. market. C&E only has a very limited line of men's shaving products which hasn't grown significantly during the "comeback". T&H is only available at Nordstroms. Single edge, injector and even double edge razor blades are getting harder to find in the drug stores like Walgreens and CVS. Shaving brushes are practically non-existent in retail stores. Comeback? I wish this were true. Unfortunately I believe the mainstream retailers are telling us we're a niche market. As long as the mainstream retailers don't recognize wetshaving then the general populace won't either. Most men buy what they can find in convenient retail stores, not from on-line dealers.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I could be completely wrong.

Depends on the boundaries you are choosing to set as seeing it "comeback"....if the United States, then it probably won't make a comeback...as for the larger percentage of shavers the rest of the world, I can't remember the numbers, but first DE's would have to drop from being #1 in order to make a comeback

(someone help me remember that reference?)

It's sort of like fly fishing. Seen by many to be elitist,only a tiny percentage of angler's actually fly fish. Feather and fur flinging remains a very important part of the big angling picture.:smile:

I don't see a "huge" comeback. As mentioned in other posts...we can hardly find anything decent in B&M establishments. We are all but forced to do our shopping online for the most part.

Just my $.02.

Regards,

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
No major comeback. In fact every Men's lifestyle publication HAS increased its skincare/grooming sections to include small columns about shaving and shaving products (I'll grant you that...) But they primarily focus on Multi-blade razors and what I call "Kiehl-like" products over DE's and Traditional European Shaving Creams and Soaps. Yes...there are the what appear to be ongoing commercials for Art of Shaving products. A recent blurb in Men's Vogue had a nice write up on Musgo Real. This is an easy review for the magazine writers because I contend that it is more user friendly to the publications core audience as a brushless cream. (appealing to a majority of young men.) As Corey Greenberg stated on the Today show with Lester Holt a few years back that launched many say the resurgence in traditional wet shaving to new heights( http://youtube.com/watch?v=bhDjWSJk0cQ ), as to the shaving brush..."only a Fop would use one"... hence, high end creams MUST be brushless for today's man to consider anything other than the Fusion / Gel.

I rarely tell people about my shaving "hobby"...Frankly I got tired of them looking at me in a completely different way upon finding out...

Speaking of being green...anybody recycle used blades?

Yep. I put them in an empty can. Once the can is about half full I toss it in the recycling bin. This way they get recycled with all of the other metal products from my home instead of being tagged as "medical waste" as will happen if you drop them by your local hospital as some have suggested. BTW stainless steel, like all metals, is recyclable.

Speaking of being green...anybody recycle used blades?

Yes, I sure do, that's one of the reasons I got back into DE shaving.
Like I said in other posts. I buy a can of Cambells soup broth. Puch a hole in the can and drain. I make a slot with a mini die grinder but an old type can open will do it.
Make soup with the broth and fill the can with dead blades. I put a bead of solder on the slit but it's not really needed and into the recycle bin it goes.

Top Bottom