What's new

Styptic pencil

I recently bought a styptic pencil and the packaging said to dry the pencil after use. I was wondering how you do this? (i.e with a towel etc.) Also when do you apply the pencil, before or after the aftershave balm?

Thanks!

You just need a dab of water for it to work. I apply mine right after shaving, but opinions may vary. The tube mine came in has a hole at one end, so it dries itself. You can always dab a tissue on the tip. Remember, just a tiny bit of water.
Also, after a few mins, you may have a small white patch where you applied the pencil. Just gently wipe this off with a moist towelette.

Good luck.

Just roll in on a dry towel. Sometimes after the ASB is applied you find the leak- apply whenever needed.

I don't use aftershave, I use toner, so this answer may not be exactly correct... I put the pencil on first and follow up with a light spray of toner everywhere a minute or two later.

Edit: Oh, I just throw it back in the drawer without bothering to dry it. That thing's still going to last forever.

I rarely have to use a styptic pencil, but when I do, I just let it air dry. I apply it before anything else, as soon as possible after making the cut or nick.

Tim

The reason you need to dry it is that it will be eroded away if you, for example, let it sit in a blob of water, like putting it away wet into a tube.

I have one. I've had it for nearly 10 years.

You only apply it to a nick/cut. Not your whole face. It's used to stop bleeding.

When I use it: dampen, apply to cut, rinse, put back in plastic tube.

No drying involved.

May be the best 89 cents I've spent.

Someone on the forum, I forgot who sorry, dissolved their pencil in a small bowl. I bought a finger bowl from Ikea and broke up my styptic pencil then dissolved in water. It took a few days to dry. Now I just wet my finger, rub on the styptic then apply on cut.

I bought a small jar of powdered alum from the drugstore; .99 cents for about the equivalent of a half/dozen styptic pencils ( primarily alum and a binder). I added a teaspoonful of water, shook the bejesus out of the jar, then left the lid off for a couple of days. Now, if I nick myself I stick a damp fingertip into the jar, rub the surface of the alum and dab it on the cut. I figure I have enough there to last me the rest of my life, my son's life, and probably my unborn grandson (could happen...you never know) all of his adult life. That stuff should go a LOOONG way

My styptic pencil broke very recently. It seems to me it soaked itself full of water when it was sitting in my shaving cabinet. It's no use in drying it anymore because it's very wobbly and won't come out of its air-sealed plastic container. :c17: Now I know better.

Morgan,
If you can get it out, you might let it dissolve in a small cup of water, let it dry, and when you need it just moisten a fingertip and apply a small bit of the powder. I know this seem like a lot of work. Personally I would just spend the 2$ and get a new one!!! Just some thoughts!

haben Sie einen schönen Tag

Joel

Thanks for the tip but as you said it's a lot of work. I'll just get a new one and use the platic case of the old in which I've drilled a hole. I'll be exta cautious to dry my new pencil after each use. :blush:
haben Sie einen schönen Tag
Ebenso!

Take care

Top Bottom