What's new

Am I imagining the metalic taste?

For christmas I got a Stainless steel mug. My dad and brother have the exact same mug. They drink coffee out of theirs and I tried to drink tea.

When I used it I got a distinct metallic taste. I thought it was maybe something that would go away. I put it through the dish washer several times and it still tastes metallic. No one believed me so I made them each drink a cup of tea out of it. They all claim I am imagining it.

Is it possible that I am imagining it?

I had one from ll bean many years ago as a shop mug and it has been holding pencils since the week I got it.
You are not alone.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
When I went to Japan for an exchange program many years back, I was explained that many westerners will acquire silver or stainless chopsticks because we are accustomed to tasting our silverware as we eat. Your taste buds are probably just more acute than your dad's and brother's, so you notice it more when you drink your tea. Plus, the flavor of most teas are more delicate than most coffees, so again, you'd notice it more than them.

I tried theirs and it tastes like SS. I'll just tell them I have a more refined palette.(SP)

I don't know how they can't taste it.

We need iron in our diet. :001_smile
Interesting comment about SS chopsticks, I may not taste my next meal since I will be trying to detect the taste of the flatware.

I have found that if I drink directly out of my stainless travel mug I get a metallic taste. But using the plastic lid alleviates this, so maybe it's not imparting anything into the drink, but reacting with our tongues or something.

You aren't imagining it. Some people are more sensitive to the metallic taste than others. I dislike oil stored in metal containers because I feel it imparts an annoying metallic taste to the oil. I make loose leaf tea in a gaiwan because I dislike the way stainless steel strainers change the taste of tea, but I don't notice a difference if I boil the water in a cast iron tea pot.

There is something just inherently wrong with drinking from stainless steel. I never tasted anything metallic when I had one, but I didn't care for it at all.

I have two SS 'camping' cups, and both of them give off a metallic taste. When I'm around a fire drinking rye and pepsi, I have zero complaints! When I'm sitting at home, I'll reach for a different cup to avoid the taste.

My mother could taste that food was cooked in metal, while I can't taste a spoon in my mouth. On a related note, though I smoke, I'm usually the first person to notice burnt popcorn in the kitchen at work even when I'm sitting far away. People are just sensitive to different things.

Though I just realized, I can't smell a 10 month old post. :001_rolle

Last edited:
There is something just inherently wrong with drinking from stainless steel. I never tasted anything metallic when I had one, but I didn't care for it at all.

My wife has a SS water bottle which i can't bear to drink from, can't explain, gives me he 'willies', reminds me of someone biting down on steel cuttlery which for me is fingernails on a blackboard.
dave

I have a SS water bottle - and while I really like it (and can drink from it), I've always tasted SS. With something hot, I'd always reach for porcelain.

From what I've researched, poorly manufactured stainless steel can exhibit leaching of iron, chromium and nickel - and this is what causes the metallic taste. Some manufacturers, like kleen canteen, are well known for his flaw. (my SS water bottle is a kleen)

Higher quality stainless steel should be free of metallic taste.

I can taste it, slightly, in my coffee mugs. It's just not bad enough to not use the cup that keeps my coffee warm for so long.

Top Bottom