What's new

Gem Jr se

In anticipation for the Razorock Hawk, I just bought my first Set razor. Got a gem Jr 1912. Pretty stoked to give it a try. I understand they are considerably different than a de though. Any tips?

Good work. Just keep head almost pressed to your face and shave away. The large head surface area makes finding correct angle easy. Also, be sure to use razor blades from a drug store and not paint scraper blades from hardware store.

Enjoy!

I watched a YouTube video before using my first SE (a MMTOC).

The big difference is the angle, there will be neat sound-effects, it will sound like butter toast, when shaving.

You'll hear it and feel it when you get the angle right.
And what BSAguy said on blades - do not get paint scrapers even though they look identical. and we mean IDENTICAL.

Steeper angle, otherwise the usual advice about no-pressure-let-the-weight-of-the-razor-do-the-work applies. The audible feedback is part of what I like about SE shaving.

GEM Junior's are great, love the little lather catcher design, and the audible feedback...great design.
Keep us posted on your progress with JR :thumbup1:

Good work. Just keep head almost pressed to your face and shave away. The large head surface area makes finding correct angle easy. Also, be sure to use razor blades from a drug store and not paint scraper blades from hardware store.

Enjoy!
Didn't realize you could get the blades at a drug store. Will have to keep an eye out for them. Razor comes in early next week so getting excited to try it!

Steeper angle, otherwise the usual advice about no-pressure-let-the-weight-of-the-razor-do-the-work applies. The audible feedback is part of what I like about SE shaving.

Actually, the angle will be shallower, i.e. the handle will be lifted closer to parallel to the floor. The Gem instructions actually say to put the cap flat against the face, but most find the best efficiency by going just a bit less shallow (or a bit steeper, same thing) by tilting the cap slightly away from the face. Still, overall, the angle will be considerably shallower, meaning the handle will be lifted higher, than with most DEs. The correct angle will be pretty apparent, as you will HEAR when it is right. It will be the sound of buttering toast. The 1912 is a loud razor, and while it may sound rough, it will shave smooth. I find the 1912 to be a medium aggressive razor, but that's by SE standards. And yes, be sure to get the Blades made for shaving, not for paint scraping.

The Junior is a terrific razor, and you'll get some great shaves once you get it dialed in, which shouldn't take long.

What Spang said. :thumbup1:

30 degrees is a number often tossed around with DE shaving. Forget that - the correct angle with an SE is more like 10 degrees or even less. Too steep and you're scraping off whiskers rather than cutting them - not a pleasant experience.

As with DE shaving there is a learning curve, so give it a few shaves before drawing any conclusions.

Who knows, you may end up like me. I tried my first single edge last summer. Now I have around 75 of them and never shave with anything else.

--Bob

Just got it in. Cleaned it up real quick and must say looks pretty nice for what I paid. I see that the handle is a bit off center, but looking at images of them online, this looks pretty common. Excited to try it tonight!
$uploadfromtaptalk1428976887481.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1428976893504.jpg

Last edited:
Got to shave with it this morning. Lathered up b&m leviathan with my semogue 830. I can certainly see that the angle is very different with this, but the angle of the top makes it very easy to find the correct angle. It was able to cut thru like it was nothing. I was able to get a very nice, redness free shave and was probably even close than my baby smooth. What an excellent razor!

Got to shave with it this morning. Lathered up b&m leviathan with my semogue 830. I can certainly see that the angle is very different with this, but the angle of the top makes it very easy to find the correct angle. It was able to cut thru like it was nothing. I was able to get a very nice, redness free shave and was probably even close than my baby smooth. What an excellent razor!

Awesome....glad the first shave with JR worked well, I too get quality shaves with the Juniors, a great design.
The audible feedback, and little lather catcher...it just works.
I have two, both with the Bakelite handles, I really like the big fat Bakelite handle one the best.

Bravo,
I, too, just had my first ever GEM shave yesterday...same great results as you....I'm going to start collecting some other models.
What awesome little razors, huh?

Bravo,
I, too, just had my first ever GEM shave yesterday...same great results as you....I'm going to start collecting some other models.
What awesome little razors, huh?
I been watching like crazy now for others. I'd really love to get a gem g bar!

Top Bottom