What's new

What have they done to my Cope?

Picked up a few cans of Copenhagen Long Cut the other day and noticed they have changed the lid a bit. The coat of arms? for lack of a better description is now inside a field of black. Looks nice and all but the tobacco has changed. Getting a taste that reminds me of the Skoal Straight they were selling a few years ago. Maybe they still sell the Skoal Straight I don't know but its not something I would buy. Anyone else noticed this? They discontinued Key (Skoal bought them and messed with the recipe in the '80's but I got used to it ) that I used for decades and now they have did this to the Cope long cut. They just cant help themselves I guess.

I quit affording cope twenty years ago, no kidding, it hit $3.00 and I went to Redwood, then Griz. Stokers long cut natural or long cut straight were my go to dip until a few days ago. 16.99 for a tub that's the equivalent to(I think) 10-12 cans.

Yeah its $5.50 a can or better now. I wont be buying any more of it since they felt the need to mess with it. As far as I know Cope and Skoal are the best selling OTC snuss around here. Why they would mess with it is a mystery.

Found two yesterday that are also. Same lid they have had for years (copper colored one). Checked the one I had left with the new lid and it said long cut on the side so I don't know whats going on. Will see if they stock both or what.

That's what I don't get. Cope has been selling well since what is it 1822? But then Key was what I used for years and then Skoal bought them out, changed the recipe then nixed it.

Skoal n opinion is nasty, I used to be a big wintergreen fan, then I found straight, and I don't even touch minty stuff. Post a pic of the lid you were talking about if ya still have it.

All I have now is the old type lid. Finished up the new stuff a couple days ago. Its the same color but the diamond shaped emblem on the center top of the lid is in a black field where as the old type its the same color as the rest of the lid.

Did they permanently change the formula? I switched from Skoal straight to Copenhagen straight a couple years ago. To me there is only a minor texture difference between the two. The "Cope Straight" and "Copenhagen Straight" labels are different products by far. Could it be that they have made a similar change to the copper cans? Even though I don't use the copper can, it would be a shame if they changed something that sold fine without any change.

I hope I don't derail this thread, but thanks for the reply Argonaut. I hadn't previously heard of Stokers. My buddy and I each ordered a tub to try.

The lid is still copper but has a black insignia now where as before the insignia was copper like the rest of the lid and didn't stand out. My local grocer didn't have any Cope longcut today so I got some Timber Wolf long cut straight. Cant say I like it much. Will keep trying some of the cheaper stuff and maybe find something I like. This particular grocer has never been out before if that means anything. I always get groceries on Monday and always get my snuss then too.

Top Bottom