What's new

Historical Firearms

I've been researching the military history of my family and decided it would be nice to own a rifle of the time that my grandfathers fought for our country. After this thought, I started thinking of starting a possible historical firearm collection. Now, I don't have a lot of money, so this will take years of planning and saving. I tend to do a lot, ALOT, of research before I make a large purchase ($400 is considered to be a large purchase by me), so I'm starting now.

I plan to buy an M1 Garand first, probably just a field or service grade through the CMP store - http://thecmp.org/

Next I'd like to get my hands on a Brown Bess Musket used in the American Revolution and into American Civil War. It was used in other wars, but I'm focused mainly on American campaigns. I had originally thought to find a Pennsylvania/Kentucky Rifle, but the Brown Bess was used much more through those wars. If any one has a reproduction of this gun, where did you buy it?

I still need to do some research into a WW1 era rifle. An AR-15 should round out the modern end of the collection.

I'm not usually a collector of items, but this seems like a connection back though military history. It will take place over a few years, maybe like 1 purchase per year, depending on the cost of the firearms. I'm mainly interested in battle rifles (although the Brown Bess isn't technically a rifle), but I do still want a nice 1911.

Thanks for helping me into my new acquisition disorder.

CMP is the way to go for a Garand.

The Springfield '03 or 1917 Enfield would be correct for WWI.

Being a lefty I avoid old black powder rifles and don't know anything about them.

Grab a Krag-Jorgensen 30 US cal (Spanish American war).

The smoothest bolt action rife ever made. The Krag rivals the Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 model for smooth action.

You can pick them up reasonably (if you look hard)

Being a lefty I avoid old black powder rifles and don't know anything about them.

I am too. I haven't thought about that little issue yet. There will be a similar problem with bolt action rifles.

Grab a Krag-Jorgensen 30 US cal (Spanish American war).

The smoothest bolt action rife ever made. The Krag rivals the Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 model for smooth action.

You can pick them up reasonably (if you look hard)

Thanks for the tip!

I am too. I haven't thought about that little issue yet. There will be a similar problem with bolt action rifles.

I had a late production left handed Mauser M98 bolt action hunting rifle in 30-06 for a while.

They are out there if you look for them

No American history weapons collection could be complete without a Winchester 1873. Not exactly a 'war' rifle, but none the less, probably more iconic than most others. If you wanted to go truly historic you could get a Henry yellow boy, but you will need a second mortgage on the house.

Bring your wallet with you, there is nothing cheap about collecting firearms in general, much less old ones. I'm looking forward to seeing what you get. Pics as they are acquired are a must of course!

Good luck!

Krags are nice, but limited by the ammunition.

I had a 1903 and am still kicking myself in the butt for selling it. I bought it for $35 in the mid 70's and sold it for $600 in the late 90's. Can't replace it for what I sold it for. :/

Can't fault your desire for an M-1. I'm fond of them myself.
proxy.php

Mine was made in July of '42. Carried by a SEABEE throughout the island campaigns in the Pacific and then brought home with him. It's 100% 1942. It was given to me by a dear friend and brother of the man that carried it.

CMP is the way to go for an M-1. They're great rifles, but they do have their quirks. Those from the CMP may have a mix of parts but they'll function as designed. Buying one off the shelf or from an individual is a crap shoot. You might get a winner or you might get a barking dog.

I strongly advise you to do a lot research and then do a lot more before you invest in any milsurp rifle.

As for a quality repro Brown Bess? Grab your pocket book.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pede..._a8733c36&WT.mc_id=al40661&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

Pedersoli is a very respected maker from Italy.

Has anyone ever dealt with the Discriminating General? Here is a replica Brown Bess that is shipped non-firing, you just need to have a gunsmith drill the vent hole. http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket7.htm

The CMP is no longer selling Springfield '03/M1903s, and it seems like the M1917 Enfields are in very short supply and they aren't taking orders for them right now.

My plan as of now is to wait until tax return time next year and order an M1 Garand, then I'll start saving for a Brown Bess.

M-1 is great. I just saw a not quite but almost perfect A3 that a sheriff's deputy bought for $1400, so good Springfields are expensive. I would like one of those as well as a Krag, in good condition. The last one that looked nice appeared to me to have a crack in the receiver although the dealer denied it. They are know to have very brittle receivers so be careful. They are one of the slickest operating bolts out there. Do not overlook the 1873 Springfield Trapdoor, the first US military rifle in general use that was a cartridge rifle, shooting the good old 45-70 cartridge. Anything prior to that is a muzzleloader. Springfield and Enfield rifles for the civil war, then really a mixture of British, French, and US rifles and smoothbore muskets for colonial times.

On the Bess look for a solid maker like Pedersoli, older Navy Arms etc...if you are planning on shooting live ammo. I am a living historian, and while I do not carry weapons in the field, there are concerns over the India/Paki made reproductions. There are historical message boards that have a market place to buy and sell, which could be a source for a pre owned muskets (both 18th and 19th century).

you may want to look at a Mosin–Nagant. Great gun that's still pretty cheep.

In the orginal post A3MON mentions arms used through American history and the Mosin does not qualify. Personally I have some interest in older military rifles, especially Swedish Mausers and Swiss military arms, My oldest historical arm is a 1873 vintage Swiss Vetterli, a bolt action repeater shooting a rimfire cartridge of 10.4mm or .429 in. Mine has been converted to centerfire and I can make brass by cutting down , expanding, and fireforming either .348 Winchester or 8mm Lebel brass. I was lucky when I bought it and got one with a perfect, new looking bore, which is rather amazing for a 142 years old black powder rifle.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Also consider rifles or pistols your fathers and grandfathers fought against. A great example is the German Mauser Gewehr 98.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I know you talked about a budget, but the prices keep going up.

SPECIAL GRADE M1 GARAND

ITEM #
DESCRIPTION
PRICE
RM1SPECIAL​
CMP Special (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
$1,030
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR--
Contact CMP for additional S&H.

RM1308SPECIAL​
CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.
$1,030
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR--
Contact CMP for additional S&H.

Do work on a U. S. military arms collection. It's one of the most rewarding group of firearms one can own and shoot.

I began while I was still a teen back in the mid-1970s and of course am never done collecting, however I had a good number gathered in before I was 21. There are some duplicates in the collection and some others but here is one example of the most common issue rifles. We could do pistols another time.

M1884 Springfield "Trapdoor" manufactured in 1888. .45-70

M1894 Springfield "Krag Jorgensen with low 4-digit serial number, first year of production rifle having the 1894 arsenal modifications. .30-40

M1903 Springfield, in this case an all-original Rock Island Arsenal manufactured rifle produced in August 1913. .30-06

M1917 Enfield, produced at Remington's Eddystone PA plant in September 1918. .30-06

Model 1903-A3, A Smith Corona with barrel date of December 1942. .30-06

M1, a DCM gun from June 1944 featuring mostly original components except trigger group which is a mish-mash of World War II parts, and sights and gas plug which are post-war. .30-06

M1 Carbine, an Underwood produced in October 1943. .30 Carbine

M1A, civilian legal representation of the M14. 7.62 NATO/.308 Winchester

Colt AR 15 SP-1 from 1974, civilian legal version of the M16. .223/5.56

Get the best Garand you can afford. (something the govt. should provide for all, but that's another story...) I still have one on my list when my budget permits. I did get a "rusty" M82 .22 from CMP, direct to me, just a day or so before the local laws changed (I actually received two emails the same day, one that "due to the SAFE Act all previous orders are one hold" and one that my order "is at FedEx". :) I Picked up my Govt. gun and will treasure my fortune at the end of another era. The M1 is a great gun that belongs in everyone's safe.

The CMP is a great program and really helps a lot of folks, especially a lot of kids learn firearms safety, respect, and marksmanship from their support. A bit of history and tradition lost now a days. I add a bit more value to a rifle with a CMP stamp on the stock.

Tom

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Do work on a U. S. military arms collection. It's one of the most rewarding group of firearms one can own and shoot.

I began while I was still a teen back in the mid-1970s and of course am never done collecting, however I had a good number gathered in before I was 21. There are some duplicates in the collection and some others but here is one example of the most common issue rifles. We could do pistols another time.

M1884 Springfield "Trapdoor" manufactured in 1888. .45-70

M1894 Springfield "Krag Jorgensen with low 4-digit serial number, first year of production rifle having the 1894 arsenal modifications. .30-40

M1903 Springfield, in this case an all-original Rock Island Arsenal manufactured rifle produced in August 1913. .30-06

M1917 Enfield, produced at Remington's Eddystone PA plant in September 1918. .30-06

Model 1903-A3, A Smith Corona with barrel date of December 1942. .30-06

M1, a DCM gun from June 1944 featuring mostly original components except trigger group which is a mish-mash of World War II parts, and sights and gas plug which are post-war. .30-06

M1 Carbine, an Underwood produced in October 1943. .30 Carbine

M1A, civilian legal representation of the M14. 7.62 NATO/.308 Winchester

Colt AR 15 SP-1 from 1974, civilian legal version of the M16. .223/5.56

That is an awesome collection. I see your Springfield is Rock Island Armory. Have you ever been there? It is a very interesting place to tour.

Top Bottom