What's new

Weird Food

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What have you eaten that is....well....weird. I'm talking chocolate cover ants, grasshoppers, rattlesnake, armadillo, possum, squirrel. What about whale blubber? Did ya get yourself lost out in the wild and have to eat grubs or bitter root?

What food have you eaten that was weird?

For me, it was Vegemite and Marmite....:laugh:

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
From the 1st 3 posts I have eaten all but that Vegemite and marmite!
mountain oysters
road runner
wild hog
Theres got to be other stuff but I cannot for the life of me think of it

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
From the 1st 3 posts I have eaten all but that Vegemite and marmite!
mountain oysters
road runner
wild hog
Theres got to be other stuff but I cannot for the life of me think of it

Marty, I don't know of too many weird foods that I've eaten either. But I can think of one that ate on me....blister bugs. Nasty creatures from hell.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Had to look that up. Seen um but never had the misfortune.
i carry an Eli pen cuz of bee sting allergies. Great for a guy who spends much of his off time at the ranch

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Had to look that up. Seen um but never had the misfortune.
i carry an Eli pen cuz of bee sting allergies. Great for a guy who spends much of his off time at the ranch

The blister bug was horrible around our ranch in Freer. It was only in the summer.

There's a restaurant here in Houston that sells this kind of food. Buffalo, gazelle, stuff life that. I'm pretty sure I've seen kangaroo there at one point. And of course I can't remember the name now...

My father was a Merchant Marine, and he used to bring home non-perishable foods from all over the world. When he returned from a trip, we would snack out on canned or smoked meats from alligators, rattlesnakes, bear, horse, kangaroo, and many more that I can't remember. Also fruits and vegetables, cheeses, candies and bottled drinks from far away. None of them tasted particularly bad and there was nothing we refused to eat. Plus, along with each strange, new food, we got a geography lesson and learned about foreign lands and other cultures.

One food that really grosses me out is tripe. I'm a big fan of Pho, a Vietnamese soup, but if I see tripe as one of the ingredients, I'll ask them to leave that out. Its the texture of tripe that sickens me, although it has little or no taste that I can remember.

I remember seeing cow tongue in the deli when my mother would take me shopping when I was around 7 years old. It scared me. I would always turn away or hide my eyes whenever I saw it. I'm sure that I was fed many sandwiches with cow tongue, and it was probably delicious, but I just didn't want to know what was in there.

There's a restaurant here in Houston that sells this kind of food. Buffalo, gazelle, stuff life that. I'm pretty sure I've seen kangaroo there at one point. And of course I can't remember the name now...
I've always wanted to open a restaurant that specialized in Exotic foods. Buffalo, gazelle and kangaroo would all be on the menu. So would Lion, Tiger and Bear, and just about every other animal I could find to cook.

I'm going to call my restaurant "Noah's."

Ate a whale burger in Norway. It was winter, so out of whaling season, meaning all they had left was last year's whale scrap, ground into burgers, and frozen. Tasted like Poseidon's sweaty armpit. Absolutely terrible.

Hmmm, let's see....

Haggis, black pudding, mealworms, chicken hearts, horse, balut (probably the weirdest on this list), ostrich, chicken intestines, fish heads, urchin (it was still moving), sour mango with fish paste, crispy pig intestines, organs cooked in pig blood, durian.. Can't think of anything else right now, but I'm sure there's more to add to the list

Edit - tongue, beef tendon, pickled eggs, miracle fruit

Last edited:
I'll eat anything once. I haven't had too many opportunities to travel, but I order strange stuff whenever I see it.

So far, I've had:

tongue
chicken livers (some may find weird, but they are delicious)
haggis
pickled pigs feet
pickled eggs
fatback
sweetbreads (lamb thymus/pancreas)
octopus
urchin
alligator
frog legs (tasted like chicken...seriously)

Top Bottom