What's new

Need Advice on a Merkur 34C

Glad to hear you enjoy it!!
I live both mine. One is cerakoted and it just slides because of the coating.
I wish you many great shaves!!!

I agree with you--One shave with a 34C convinced me.

Inaugural 34C-Shave
I just had my first shave with a 34C. I agree with those of you who said you prefer this Merkur to a DE89. I, too, prefer the 34C to the DE89 for it's feel, efficiency, and control/maneuverability; the in-hand feel of this bulldog-barrel razor is excellent; and the shave-angle is intuitive. I chose to use an Astra SP blade--thinking the razor might be aggressive, but it's not--and had at it. The shave was smooth and efficient. I was going to try RR's SLAB, but I thought it might be a bit aggressive for me. I even had an Muhle R41 on order--what was I thinking?--but refused delivery, ordering the Merkur in its place. Now I've two great razors: RR Baby Smooth and Merkur 34C--the the perfect two-razor lineup for me. Yeah, my preference is for milder DE razors.

I hadn't used Astra SP blades in a couple months, they weren't sufficiently sharp to give me a good shave in my DE89. However, an Astra SP in the HD delivered a smooth two-pass shave (actually, a single-pass followed with several pickups (neck, chin, upper lip). The 34C/HD, like my RRBS, is one of those razors that makes shaving a absolute delight. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Congrats Roger! Very happy to hear of your successes with the RR Baby Smooth and Merkur 34C. :thumbup1:

Excellent. I know you will enjoy that 34c for many many years to come. I know I do mine. Another razor you may enjoy is the Maggard MR1 or MR6. (just make sure you get the V2.0 head). Stainless steel handle and give great shaves also. Not as agressive as the 34c but nice and smooth. I've had my 34c for many years and its is still part of my regular rotation (sometimes weekly use before I switch out). Enjoy and have many great shaves.:thumbup1:

I had no idea the 34C would be so smooth shaving. It's smoother than a DE89 and I find it shaves comfortably closer. I've owned many different model Merkurs, and this, for me, is the best shaving razor from the company.

The Progress is a good razor, I used to use one. However, for sensitive skin and a tough beard, I find the 34C delivers a superior shave. I had a Futur, but it is long in my past. it was too aggressive for me; and I only used it on setting #1.

Top Bottom