What's new

Which synthetic brush to buy

I'm looking to purchase a synthetic brush as my pure badger brush is causing me a lot of irritation. I would like a brush that is very soft on the skin but can still perform well when lathering and costs no more than 40 pounds. I have read about a few different synthetics online but would like to hear recommendations from people on this site.

If you're looking for really really soft, then look at the plisson synthetic brushes. They should have a few that fit within and well under your budget.

You can also look at the muhle or Edwin jagger synthetics. They are really soft as well, but have more backbone than the plisson. The XL version seems to be the consensus favorite of those brushes and they can be had within your budget as well.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The Plisson most certainly is the softest synthetic knot I've ever tried. Even though it has virtually no backbone, it lathers very well.'

Personally, I prefer more backbone, so I like the Muhle knots--still very soft but plenty of backbone.

If you're looking for really really soft, then look at the plisson synthetic brushes. They should have a few that fit within and well under your budget.

You can also look at the muhle or Edwin jagger synthetics. They are really soft as well, but have more backbone than the plisson. The XL version seems to be the consensus favorite of those brushes and they can be had within your budget as well.

I have a Plisson and Muhle XL synthetic brushes. I use the Muhle 2/3 of the time, it is my preferred brush of the two.

Mühle or Edwin Jagger STFv2. Supposed to be the same knot, and I have 2 23mm (1 EJ and the other Mühle) and they sure look like it. For a budget brush I'd look at the Omegas, especially the Hi-Brush, about $20 USD.

Ive got an Omega Hi brush and only used it one time and didnt care for it. I've heard just like most of the above post mention that EJ & Plisson make the best Syn. brushes on the market..

I just got a Muhle Silvertip Fibre 2 synthetic, 25mm knot (XL size) and i absolutely love it. Nice backbone, but softer than anything on the face. Like a cloud on your face, but still has good back so its great for loading even hard triple milled soaps. Awesome stuff. I got mine a week ago and am still blown away by it!

I don't enjoy lathering most synthetics on my face, and I've tried a few. So don't just buy any old synthetic and trust that it will work. I usually lather my synthetics in a bowl and use paint-brush strokes to apply it to my face. Most synthetics have little splay to the knot.

I think I am going to go for the Plisson. Does anybody know if they regularly re-stock them on the l'occitane website? I heard that they were discontinuing the brush on here before but it is still being advertised on the site.

Thanks for your help!

I think I am going to go for the Plisson. Does anybody know if they regularly re-stock them on the l'occitane website? I heard that they were discontinuing the brush on here before but it is still being advertised on the site.

Thanks for your help!

The travel brush is available, but the regular brush has been discontinued. A few stores still have some stock left. eBay has a few for a premium. Plisson now sells it directly from their website.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
With the noted troubles with the L'Occitane brush and the euro where it is, you're probably better off ordering straight from Plisson and getting a better handle.

Hi everyone. I wonder if anyone could help me as I'm still quite new to all this.

What is the difference between the 33 euro Plisson synthetic and the 52 euro one? Is the handle the only difference?

Good question. I googled the 33 euro one and got this page on Plisson's website:

http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/shav...pe-de-noyer-blanc-europeen-3700005934795.html

...the plain black acetate-handled synthetic is featured at 33.60 euros. Go down and you'll see links for other handles...the white (ivory) acetate is the same price, but all the other ones are more. The imitation horn and the pearly grey (both also acetate) are 67 euros each. Below that the brass handles are 150 and up. (All say size 12 synthetic.) I believe the handles are the only thing that is different.

i too recall seeing the 52 euro price for a Plisson synthetic recently, but I can't remember where now.

Top Bottom