What's new

Christy Razor - Pilot Model

An antique dealer I know set this aside just for me. I had heard of Christy razors before, but had never seen one.

The razor is in very good condition, has the original box (also in very good shape) and the instructions. Collectable? Maybe. Normally, I would have just passed on this razor since I am more interested in using razors than I am collecting them at this point. If it weren't a friend that held this just for me, it would still be at the antique show.

With the help of B&B, I have focused my DE education to Gillettes so I do not know anything about this razor. The blade is sinlge edge and unique in shape. (Sorry for the bad pics..I am at work and only have my phone's camera to work with)

Has anybody used (or is using) this type of razor? Are blades available for this razor anymore?

Any info is welcome.

Thank you gentlemen.

The big problem with the Christy razor is the unique blade. I have several of them but I don't know of any source for blades except original vintage ones which do occasionaly show up on ebay. Personally, I haven't had the nerve to attempt to shave with a razor with a 70 or 80 year old blade.

This razor was also made for and sold by The Simmons Hardware Co. of St. Louis under their trade name, Keen Kutter. It appears that Christy also continued to make them under the Keen Kutter name after Simmons went out of business. I have one which says in the box "Keen Kutter by Christy".

The Christy company is still in business in Fremont, Ohio, but as far as I am aware, they currently only make their little sliding blade pocket knife. I've found that at one time they made sugical instruments as well as razors and other cutlery. I don't believe they've made razors for some decades. The company is apparently still owned by a third or fourth generation Christy.

Fremont is not that far from where I live and I've thought about looking the company up. It might be interesting to stop in and see if there is anyone there who has any specific history of their razors. They seem to have been reasonably popular at one time judging from how often they show up on ebay.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks Tom for all the great info. Too bad it has such a unique blade. Like you, I don't think I have the nerve to shave with 70+ year old blades.

Well, if I can't shave with it, I may have to find it a better home. I am not a collector (at least not yet!) so I would rather sell it to someone that would value it for their collection than have it sit in the back of my closet.

Say, Tom, you have a Christy collection, any interest in adding to it?:wink:

Pete,

Thanks but no thanks. As you have perceived, I have several of these razors including ones in boxes as in your picture. I do feel an interest in Christy and several other companies from my neck of the woods who made razors in the early part of the last century, but I don't feel the need for another Christy.:001_rolle

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom