What's new

Square VS Round Point

Hello everyone, I recently got my first straight shave done at The Art of Shaving, and ended up leaving the store with a shavette, a pack of blades, and a starter kit "travel kit" of Sandalwood scented pre-shave oil, cream, and lotion as well as a small bottle of vanilla tobacco scented beard oil for my goatee. Obviously after walking out of the store with my wallet much lighter sitting in my pocket, I loved the shaving experience. Now I am addicted for sure, I shaved with the shavette two weekends ago with a few minor nicks and very minor rash, and this past weekend I was nearly perfect, minus leaving a little stubble under my goatee that nobody would know was there unless they were rubbing under my chin (which the only person that should be doing that is my wife.) None the less, I am hooked and I can't make up my mind on what straight razor I would like to buy. I have seen a few very nicely priced razors with awesome looking scales, but they vary from square point or round point. I would like some opinions on the matter. I looked at a razor today that says it is a square point, but it still has probably a good 1/16 - 1/8 inch radius on the end of the razor. I picture a perfect 90 degree end when I see a description of a "square" edge. I am also looking for my razor to be a 5/8 blade. I also notice that people say don't buy an expensive strop for your first strop, because you will wreck it or possibly wreck it. It is a different subject from my Title of the subject, and I will look into the strop section more, I just figured I might run on with my enthusiasm for a minute.....ok I'm done. :001_smile

Once a square point is muted (done by rolling the tip on a piece of glass), even what seems like a very sharp point on a razor will not cut readily. The only real difference left is that a razor with a pointed tip can be used to shave very precisely around a beard or mustache, etc. A round point razor is very difficult to cut along a precise edge. If shaving the entire face, it does not really make much difference other than <perhaps> one can be less careful with a round point but I never suggest carelessness with any kind of razor so....

Brian

Hello everyone, I recently got my first straight shave done at The Art of Shaving, and ended up leaving the store with a shavette, a pack of blades, and a starter kit "travel kit" of Sandalwood scented pre-shave oil, cream, and lotion as well as a small bottle of vanilla tobacco scented beard oil for my goatee. Obviously after walking out of the store with my wallet much lighter sitting in my pocket, I loved the shaving experience. Now I am addicted for sure, I shaved with the shavette two weekends ago with a few minor nicks and very minor rash, and this past weekend I was nearly perfect, minus leaving a little stubble under my goatee that nobody would know was there unless they were rubbing under my chin (which the only person that should be doing that is my wife.) None the less, I am hooked and I can't make up my mind on what straight razor I would like to buy. I have seen a few very nicely priced razors with awesome looking scales, but they vary from square point or round point. I would like some opinions on the matter. I looked at a razor today that says it is a square point, but it still has probably a good 1/16 - 1/8 inch radius on the end of the razor. I picture a perfect 90 degree end when I see a description of a "square" edge. I am also looking for my razor to be a 5/8 blade. I also notice that people say don't buy an expensive strop for your first strop, because you will wreck it or possibly wreck it. It is a different subject from my Title of the subject, and I will look into the strop section more, I just figured I might run on with my enthusiasm for a minute.....ok I'm done. :001_smile

I have a mix of both and I originally started with a round point and feared a square point and then I accidentally bid on and won a square point and nicked myself several times and was politely told by others to be careful and try not muting the point and learn how to use it, well long story short I now actually prefer a square point as it gives me sharper lines along the sides of my sideburns and such but most new straight users start off with a round point.

I started with a shavette - then moved to a square point.

I prefer the square point over round as it lets me know where the tip of the razor sits while the round point has some material hanging off the end beyond the edge that I don't like. So long as it's not a spike point: I wouldn't see an issue starting with a square point (or french / spanish point).

I also prefer the square points, for similar reasons to the above. As for it being harder, if you're starting from scratch (for wont of a better word!) then go for it - especially if you have the goatee

This is paramount! Thank you all for the outstanding input. I have read that most anyone that starts out with the Shavette, once they make the switch to a typical straight razor, they wished they just started out with the straight rather than the Shavette. I will say that I am glad I got the Shavette, because now if I have to send the razor out to be honed, I will still be able to shave with the Shavette. First I have to buy the straight razor that I have my eye on and a strop.

I prefer a square point as I find it easier around goatee and sideburns. That said, both will work. As BDF points out above, muting the point makes sense for most people to ensure less risk of polking.

That red tracer line the square ones can leave sure does make it easier to know where the end of my square-pointed razors are. lol, kinda . . . .

Out of curiosity, why the 6/8? I don't shave my chin and upper lip, but I would tend to think that the bigger size would be more cumbersome while getting into a tight spot or doing a tricky section like your chin. I suppose it just comes down to what is comfortable and what your used to, to kind of answer my own question. Heh.

sometimes a square point can be slightly radiused at the edge corner or spine corner and its still considered square. A round point is totally half round from spine to edge.

Yes, perhaps it is not clear what muted means: it is a perfectly sharp point that has been dragged over a piece of glass or a mirror. It is not detectable to the naked eye but it will prevent the very corner of the razor from readily cutting. Something like a Red Injun actually has a small radius at the 'square' point; I would call this an 'eased' point rather than muted.

Again, to be clear, a non- muted point on a sharp nosed (square point, French point, Dreadnought point, etc.) razor will cut like an Exacto knife or a utility knife; shaving with such a razor will leave clear lines where the edge passed because you will see the slits in the skin and all the leaking.... Un-muted, sharp pointed razors are not fit for skin shaving IMO; even a nice, easy down the cheek stroke will soon enough leave leaking gills behind.

Brian

sometimes a square point can be slightly radiused at the edge corner or spine corner and its still considered square. A round point is totally half round from spine to edge.

If you started with a shavette, than Round or Square doesn't matter, the shavette is basically a square point. So go with what ever fills your eye.

On a personal note, I also prefer the the Square points, well I tend to like all except for the round point, but is just the aesthetics of the blade, not so much the function. Same as I prefer the shoulder-less ones, boy do those drive me nuts.

On the strop question, yes most of us have ruined our first strop with nicks and cuts, comes with the learning curve. So I would recommend buying an inexpensive one first, also you can strop on an old leather belt or even some newspaper folded into a strop.

Good luck :)

Is there much difference between a French point and a square point? I ask because I am looking at this one French point and it doesn't appear to be much different from the square point I just bought, that I am waiting on the delivery. The only difference is that what I bought is a 5/8 square point and the one I am looking at is a 6/8 French point.

Thank you all for the help. By this time Friday of next week I should have a total of three straight razors. This first being the Shavette, the second a Ralph Aust 5/8 square point with rosewood scales, and the third being another Ralph Aust 6/8 French point with snakewood scales and a worked spine. Needless to say, I am very excited for Monday when the 5/8 is delivered and then Friday the latest for the 6/8.

Top Bottom