What's new

Could i have dulled the feather pro razor?

I just started shaving with a cjb loaded with a feather pro blade. 1st shave was great (considering my first attempt with anything other than a de razor). I stropped it a little on a towel. I read where some folks do this, so i did it. The 2nd shave was pretty rough. It didn't feel Smooth at all. It seemed to want to drag. I couldn't finish the shave with it so i put it down and used my DE to finish. I didn't have hardly any burn, but i'm sure i would have if i didn't switch to my DE. So, should i just chuck the feather pro blade and use a new one...and not strop it? Is it possible i just messed the blade up?

Depends on your beard, too. I can get a few good, tug free shaves from a Feather Pro. I recently purchased some Feather Pro Supers and like those as well. I don't know how you strop on a towel, but I have hand stropped after a few shaves and have noticed a little smoothness return. Chuck the blade and start fresh. See how long you can go and then try hand or towel stropping. I have read on here that someone used a strop to extend the life of his Feather blades. If you're going to delve further into straight razors, that may be worth a shot later on.

I don't believe it's possible for hair to dull a feather blade on a single shave. I would guess the edge was damaged by stropping; that lip can really force an odd stropping angle, I find. In any case, I don't think there's a real need to strop these blades. I find they get smoother on their own with use.

I am in the process of seeing how many shaves I can get from a pro blade. Today is shave #2. I'm betting it goes for a month of shaves.

I've tried towel stropping before....always seems to dull the blade, Feather Pro or straight.
Don't know why, but I ain't doing it again.

Imarkow, I know I can get at least two weeks worth of shaves from a Feather Pro.

When you say 2 weeks...is that daily? Every other day? Just trying to get an idea of number of shaves i might expect.

Last edited:
just a point of interest, if you go down the disposable edge route, as opposed to the traditional straight, why would you bother to strop?, the whole idea of a disposable edge is that you don't have to do any work on the edge between shaves.

Honestly it was a stropping action on the towel to clean it/dry more than actual stropping. I know nothing about stropping and was calling this action something it most likely isn't.

I'm still learning with the cjb. I am only doing one pass and then using the DE to finish it off in another pass or two. I like the cjb, but I'm struggling with it...mostly under my nose and under my chin. I'll keep at it a little at a time.

Honestly it was a stropping action on the towel to clean it/dry more than actual stropping. I know nothing about stropping and was calling this action something it most likely isn't.

I'm still learning with the cjb. I am only doing one pass and then using the DE to finish it off in another pass or two. I like the cjb, but I'm struggling with it...mostly under my nose and under my chin. I'll keep at it a little at a time.

Those have been my trouble areas as well...it gets easier...today I was able to get up to the bottom of the nostril and didn't slice myself open! That curling stroke is a tricky!

Disposable blade razors were never meant to be stropped. That's why they're disposable. I know that the old Wecks sometimes came with a stropping device, but they used a hair shaper blade with a lot of the blade exposed. I generally get about 10 days worth with my feather blades, which is enough for me to just use and replace.

Those have been my trouble areas as well...it gets easier...today I was able to get up to the bottom of the nostril and didn't slice myself open! That curling stroke is a tricky!

Maybe that's part of my problem...i'm not using a curling motion.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You really need have the "under the nose scoop" thing as a natural motion. The good thing is that it shouldn't take too long to get it right.

"under the nose scoop" ... now that's a much better description, it is a scoop....and when I first watched the videos of guys shaving it looks so easy...when I first tried it, it seemed impossible...I mean I thought they must have used some kind of video trickery!

slowly but surely I was able to do it a little bit at a time, starting almost in the middle of my upper lip... and today I got right up under my right nostril...left has always been trickier (I do have a big schnoz) but I am convinced I will figure it out eventually!

Top Bottom