What's new

has anybody sold off their DE collection in favor of SE?

Since this thread has been bumped, I'll update my post from last April:

My DE collection is history. :thumbup1:

When I realized that it had been over a year since I had touched a DE, I figured that it was time. No regrets.

Variety? Every morning I get to choose between a classic Gem or Ever-Ready, a Valet Auto-Strop, a Kampfe Bros, Wilkinson or C. V. Heljestrand wedge blade model, a Rolls, or one of many injectors.

Now that's variety!

--Bob

Although my Mongoose has become my daily driver, I have no intention of letting my DE razors go. I like using one when traveling and also for the change of pace.

4 Open Combs,

3 Adjustables,

2 Merkurs,

1 Lady Gillette

marty

I should get rid of some DEs, which I use infrequently -but not the Adjustables which I really like. What I need to do is get rid of some
ERs , too many 1912 etc , and went a bit mad on Streamlines. My problem is that I do not enjoy packing items for post. Have asked my son on how to sell on Flea Bay.

Since this thread has been bumped, I'll update my post from last April:

My DE collection is history. :thumbup1:

When I realized that it had been over a year since I had touched a DE, I figured that it was time. No regrets.

Variety? Every morning I get to choose between a classic Gem or Ever-Ready, a Valet Auto-Strop, a Kampfe Bros, Wilkinson or C. V. Heljestrand wedge blade model, a Rolls, or one of many injectors.

Now that's variety!

--Bob

I've been curious about this one for a while but they've been elusive. How do you like it (them)? I have no experience honing and stropping but am sure it is not that hard to learn if its worth the effort.

The C. V. Heljestrand is an incredible instrument, heavily chrome plated and exquisitely crafted. The blades were made from some of the best steel on the planet and even my inexpert honing can produce a great edge.

My Heljestrand set is one of the highlights of my collection. It would be my desert island razor, since it is capable of great shaves, and I wouldn't have to worry about running out of blades. :thumbup1:

--Bob

I've got 3 of 5 DE left I may pack them away doubtful I'll sell them one is a 40's style super speed love it for the history, another is a Standard razor my wife got for me for Christmas, and the last is a MTO that started me into this whole thing so they will probably stay with me.

id like to sell off my DE's ill never use them now ive found that SE works better for me. tried selling them on here before but broke all the rules about proving their worth with similar ads etc and it was removed tho. just cant be bothered with all the faff involved with selling on here so ill probably list them on the bay.
now ive settled on my favourite SE's ill probably sell most of those too, just leave myself with 2 or 3, im certainly no collector :)

I don't have the heart to do that, got a fatboy, super adj, 34C, 1904, and an ATT, love the variety and love my 2 OCMM's as well, I'm a spoiled brat with this!

Yes, I still have two..the Cobra Classic has been my daily driver for several years. Just ordered a King a Cobra for use and as a backup. I do occasionally use an Injector that I enjoy.

I did sell off my DE collection-- all of it. I did manage to shave with a DE after that, when I've gotten one in a lot with other razors, and I only regretted doing it. I have no idea how I managed to shave with a DE for years because it is terrible.

I'm at a point where I'm getting my best shaves from sharp, rigid blades, and SE blades have the advantage of thickness in this regard. So I'm really enjoying my (new to me) injectors, and just getting to know a brand new Mongoose, and will receive a OneBlade tomorrow. Plus I just grabbed a GEM 1912 which will arrive at some point. Of the many DE razors I've tried, the NEW SC and Wolfman have made me happiest, and both give DE blades a lot of rigidity. So yep, now I'm at the point where I can see keeping just the NEW and the Wolfman, and maybe my Slim for fun, and otherwise staying SE. Why didn't I know about SE earlier? :)

I've attempted shaving with SE razors and just can't quite get the hang of it, so I don't see myself ever selling off my DE razors any time soon.

The only razor in use at the moment is my Ever-ready 1914, there isn't one DE in the house. I think the last one was sold or maybe I gave it away anyhow it's gone and I can't even remember what it was ... a Superspeed maybe.

I still have my Sensor Excel which I haven't used for a long time and my Mach3 that I use to do a quick shave when I'm running late and a hairy face is not appropriate.

that's all folks ...

I would like a GEM 1912, I might be tempted with a Streamline and would try a Valet again. If however I was out in the wild hunting for stuff and came across a nice DE I would certainly grab it and add it to the family.

Top Bottom