What's new

has anybody sold off their DE collection in favor of SE?

I haven't sold off my DEs yet, but I am sure tempted. Nothing I experienced with a Tech, NDC Super Speed, Feather Popular, Old Type, New (SC or LC) or Slim and a while series of blades can top my pleasure from a comparable variety of Gems, Ever Readys, Schick injectors, MMOC, etc. I need to work on my little Rolls collection, I think they still have great promise, and I'd move to lay hands on a Heljestrand wedge razor, for which I have two blades but no handle... how can those pedestrian DEs hope to compete?!

I might sell off or give away some of my razors, but I like variety. I will continue to use DE, SE, and Injector razors and enjoy the difference in shaves I get from each.

I recently shaved with a Schick model G and it was a great shave, not as crazy aggressive as the D and E models.

I have a bunch of DEs but except for my birth quarter toggle and the other adjustables, I rarely use them any longer. Will probably hang onto them just because Virginians have a hard time letting go of old stuff...

Nope. Sooner or later the tiny selection of SE blades will become even tinier. I don't intend to be caught with only a handful of SE razors when that happens, no matter how great they are. No blade, no shave.
Besides, I love my SEs, DEs, and Straights, and plan to enjoy them all until I can't shave anymore. YMMV

Last edited:
Nope. Sooner or later the tiny selection of SE blades will become even tinier. I don't intend to be caught with only a handful of SE razors when that happens, no matter how great they are. No blade, no shave.
Besides, I love my SEs, DEs, and Straights, and plan to enjoy them all until I can't shave anymore. YMMV

I just took a quick inventory, and my current stock of SE blades will be depleted in about . . . . 15 years.

They're cheaper if you buy in quantity. :thumbup1:

Besides, the supply is not going to dry up. 99% of the SE blades purchased these days are used for purposes other than shaving.

In the unlikely event the supply should dry up, I go to Plan B: The Rolls Razor.

--Bob

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Strangely enough, I don't really have a collection.

- 1 DE (birth year/quarter Slim)
- 1 SE (Injector E3)
- 2 straights
- 1 shavette
- 1 cart (Sensor)

Out of them all, I am using the Injector more and more these days. :thumbup1:

:thumbup1:

Besides, the supply is not going to dry up. 99% of the SE blades purchased these days are used for purposes other than shaving.

--Bob
Yep, and that 99% is not made for shaving with in the first place, which is my point. There are pitifully few SE blades produced just for shaving, in relation to the actual overall numbers of SE blades made and sold. Most of them are made to scrape paint. When they're all that's left, I don't plan on shaving with them. YMMV.
As far as whether or not I believe the supply will remain available, a lot of things I believed would never happen, did. The small variety of SE blades available to us for shaving means that the vintage SE is probably second only to the Schick injector as being the least popular mode of shaving out there. Simple economics (low demand)tells me there is a good possibility that SE blades actually made for shaving will become less and less available over time. I hope not, but I would rather not bury my head in the sand and ignore the possibility.
I love my SEs, and will shave with them as long as I can. But unless something changes drastically, we are a dying breed. Which is why I learned to use a straight. As long as I can maintain the edge, I will always be able to shave with my straights.

Last edited:
The stainless steel blades sold by Ted Pella are not intended for shaving (they're called simply "Single Edge Blades," not Razor Blades), but they work quite well for that purpose. Ted Pella sells Microscopy products, so I assume that their intended use is in preparing microscope slides, which calls for an extremely sharp edge.

The same blades are sold by RDG Woodwinds - it seems that musicians who play woodwind instruments use them to trim their reeds.

So apparently there is still a need for blades with shaving-quality sharpness, even if they are not intended for shaving use.

--Bob

All the more reason to enjoy these fine razors while you can.

Someday they may just be a fond memory of days gone by.

All the more reason to enjoy these fine razors while you can.

Someday they may just be a fond memory of days gone by.
Yep. Which was really all I was trying to say. I hope that day never comes, and you can bet I'll be stockpiling some blades. I just need to find some stainless ones I like, as the carbon blades I love probably won't store very well.
But my SEs(I have several) are lovely razors, that I enjoy very much.

I started with DE razors and currently have a Slim, (2) Fatboys, Super Speed and an assortment of Gillette Old Types, I have 6 GEM SE razors , 3 Valet Auto Strop Razors, An Enders SEa and a few others. I only think of replacing a razor with one in better condition, I really try not to have more than one of a kind, I like variety. I also like wierd razors, obscure razors, Ones you can't hardly find blades for. Thanks to guys in this forum for teaching me to modify blades and even repair razor almost nothing is off the table. My SE razors will be in my coffin when I'm done but until then, If I have to hone and strop every old blade I have I'll do it. Some razors I use once or twice a month, other razors I use once a week and still others I might use two or three days in a row. I might seem a little obsessive but really I'm just having a great time with it and hope everyone else does to.... Don't look back and say " Dam* why did I get rid of that Razor "

I like variety too much to do away with my DE razors. I have to keep one wife, so don't ask me to keep one type of razor.
That being said I am clearing out any razors that I find I'm not using as part of my rotation. That does include many DE razors as well as some doubles SE razors. ( I have 3 Canadian "E" types for instance in box)
Variety and change keep it exciting for me.

Top Bottom