What's new

Probably the 1,000,000th time but here goes. Sanitizing vintage brush?

I am a nurse so I have access to chlorhexidine. Which is also called hibiclens or Shur-cleanse. It is just a soap used to prep for surgery. I would assume if it kills today's bugs, the bugs of I assume 1954-69 don't stand a chance. I rinsed and soaked the knot and it has a nice feel to it. It is just a cheap one not worth re-knotting. Just curious what you guys thought?

btw it is badger hair.

Something went wrong with your post. Where are the pictures?

I tend to think chlorhexidine was overkill: what bugs are going to survive for 40-50 years on a dry brush anyway? But I am glad it did not hurt the brush, and I hope you enjoy using it.

When I get a vintage brush and want to try the knot, I just clean it with dishsoap or shampoo, and warm water. If the hair seems brittle I will work in some hair conditioner and let that sit for an hour or so before I rinse it out.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I just lather it up with shaving soap, rinse well, and dry. Clean is good enough for me.

When I get a vintage brush and want to try the knot, I just clean it with dishsoap or shampoo, and warm water. If the hair seems brittle I will work in some hair conditioner and let that sit for an hour or so before I rinse it out.

I just lather it up with shaving soap, rinse well, and dry. Clean is good enough for me.

+2. Probably Barbacide, chlorhexidine, etc won't hurt a brush's bristles, but I doubt they are necessary for a vintage brush.

Shampoo. And a 15 minute soak in a vinegar and water solution ( 1 part vinegar to 8 parts water ). Rinse well. Let it dry before use.

I use warm water, anti-bacterial soap, a good hand wash and squeezing, rinse, shake dry, then soak in alcohol for a few minutes.

I have just taken delivery of a vintage 60's grooming kit, which contained a aluminium handles tech and Kent KS12 brush. I have just soaked the entire contents into a Milton solution, it's a great sterilising agent as it kills anything but is designed to clean baby's bottles! $image.jpg

I am a nurse so I have access to chlorhexidine. Which is also called hibiclens or Shur-cleanse. It is just a soap used to prep for surgery. I would assume if it kills today's bugs, the bugs of I assume 1954-69 don't stand a chance. I rinsed and soaked the knot and it has a nice feel to it. It is just a cheap one not worth re-knotting. Just curious what you guys thought?

btw it is badger hair.

It it might leave an unpleasant smell in the brush.

Hibiclens is actually a great option. It's actually much more gentle than barbicide and as far as it being necessary you are the judge of that. I am in the "better safe than sorry" camp vs. the "I'm way too cool to sanitize a used brush" camp.

Just read a story about a girl who contracted MRSA from a used make-up brush, she's now paralyzed.

Top Bottom