What's new

Do you find yourself scrutinising other men's faces?

This question applies mostly to the recent converts to safety/straight shaving, as I imagine anyone doing this for forty years probably isn't as obsessed with how their shave now compares with Joe Average on the street.
I've hated shaving ever since I had to start, eventually giving up and growing facial hair to not have to deal with the hassle. Since starting the best journey of my life at the beginning, every shave has resulted in me critically analysing my face afterwards for comfort, closeness, nicks, etc.
Now I'm pretty happy with the quality of shave I get from either my DEs or barber razor, I find myself not only touching my face non-stop (a crime I know we're all guilty of), but even worse, peering intently at the jaws and necks of every other man I come into contact with. Obviously shaving differs greatly for every person, but just as I can't stop analysing my own face, nor can I stop myself from wondering about theirs.
Have they shaved? Does it look like a close shave? Does it look comfortable? Any redness/ingrown hairs? Is my shave actually any 'better' than theirs?

Sometimes they catch me. Sometimes they don't :ninja:
If I could get away with it, I know I would likely touch each of their faces and demand "When did you shave? How did you do it?!", which sadly, I probably do in fact do with men I know fairly well.

So...is it just me?

TPL ("the face-stalker") out!

Yes. I was watching the UK party leaders election debate the other night and found myself assessing their shaves. I even wondered whether David Cameron might use TOBS Eton College, being an alumni and all!

The face of a man? No, not so much.

The legs of a woman?? Yes, I scrutinize them closely at every opportunity.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.
― W.C. Fields

Not so much. I take notice of guys who chew up their necks shaving. The one time I took notice of another man's face and really took a hard look was a really old guy walking his dog who stopped to ask me if I was someone he knew years ago. He was BBS on his face and neck. I've never seen someone with such a perfect shave and absolutely no irritation, blemishes or ingrown hairs. He was old everywhere else but his beard and neck areas looked polished or wet sanded. I almost asked him how he shaved that perfect. Almost.

Been shaving for over 50 years and before my retirement i never noticed other men's faces unless they had out of the ordinary beards or handlebar mustaches, but for the last few years collecting razors and brushes, I do notice other men's faces. Sometimes I'll get into conversations especially with men i know. Sometimes convincing them to change over to DE shaving especially when I tell them how cheap razor blades are.
Denis

IMHO, analyzing your face is fine, but checking out other men's shaves closely would send the message that you are checking them out, period. Or that something was wrong with their appearance. Banter like this is fun on this site in context, but I would be very uncomfortable if I caught you doing that to me and didn't know you.

IMHO, analyzing your face is fine, but checking out other men's shaves closely would send the message that you are checking them out, period. Or that something was wrong with their appearance. Banter like this is fun on this site in context, but I would be very uncomfortable if I caught you doing that to me and didn't know you.

This^

No, I'm not competitive that way and feel no need to compare my results with anyone else and really don't care about anyone's results unless they ask for advice. I'm more aware of facial hair and at how few men can pull it off. Most look terrible and would look better clean shaven. I think fewer than 1 in 10 guys look good in any kind of facial hair.

Nope. Has never happened. If someone is sporting their stylish 4 days growth, I wish they would go wash their face & shave - but I've never checked out a guy's face to see if he had an SAS level shave or a BBS. I also don't fondle my own face. I feel it at the end of a shave to see if I missed anything. Maybe that is why I'm using "Irish Spring" as my shaving soap. and 70% isopropyl alcohol for my aftershave - it is just a shave. It doesn't unite me with the universal spirit of man, and my goals are "No stubble, No pain" at the end of the shave. If I want "me time", I go for a run or ride my horse somewhere. I don't get "me time" in front of a mirror.

I find myself looking askance at guys (typically young ones) with scruffy stubble...thinking "you would look so much better clean-shaven!" Must be getting old and curmudgeonly...:001_cool:

Last edited:
Occasionally, yes.

I'll notice errors they had shaving if they're obvious when I'm talking to someone. Two weeks ago one of the guys I work with had a nice little slice just underneath his lower lip and though the rest of his face was clean shaven, the whiskers immediately surrounding the wound were grown out about an 1/8 inch.

As a CPO in the navy... yes. It is, in fact, my job to ensure they have a sat haircut, shave and uniform. I will also smell them to ensure they don't stink, as a stinky man is a man who will likely be excluded and possibly ridiculed by others. You'd be amazed how many grown men we get that need to be told, "You stink, take a shower." and... "congratulations for taking a shower, now you need to take one more than twice a month." and to "Do your laundry! That includes washing your sheets."

In these situations, it is not weird. It's what their parents should have done for them.

Last edited:
Do I find myself scrutinizing other men's faces?

Absolutely. I don't dare say anything, but I definitely notice a good shave versus a bad shave.

Not very much, unless there is bad irritation, associated with shaving.

This would probably be me also. I do preach the DE gospel every chance i get and have converted probably 6 so far - friends and my oldest son.

If I noticed a guy with a bad case of neck rash I'd probably give him the DE sales pitch!

Top Bottom