What's new

Suede?

I have an opportunity to pick up leather which, I am led to believe, can be of a size to make a strop. What I am told is that one side of this leather is smooth, like a traditional strop, but the other side would be suede.
Would both sides be usable?
Would the suede be usable only if pasted with CrOx?

Any thoughts would be helpful in deciding whether or not to bother.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The TI paddles strop are suede, so I don't see why your suede wouldn't work. Plus, I have a double-sided paddle strop myself, with one side using TI white paste (the crayon).

I would not paste leather with crox. No easy way to get it out which you will eventually want to do. Use a cotton strop for crox and keep the suede clean.

The better you learn to strop the less you will want paste. Pasted strops are messy. Clean strops are boss, or what is it they say nowadays, "Clean is the bomb".

Chasmo

TI's paddles are made with a sueded leather and are intended to be used with pastes.
They work great for that. But, usually, once the paste is on, it ain't comin' off. And yes - they're messy.

Mi first strop that i made was out of Nubbuc - a sueded leather ./ It works great - if youre a fan of sharper edges , coticule like this strop will be very good for your taste . Some old barbers in Eastern europe suears in his life that the inside of a leather is the good side to strop . The face only dulls the edge in theyre opinion .

I have a small paddle strop in some kind of suede, and it works nicely as it is - I'd never put paste of any kind on it.

Top Bottom