What's new

How to clean old razors...

I'm sure this is posted somewhere, but this weekend, we cleaned out my grandfather's house who died 5 years ago. In amongst the rubble, I found 2 DE razors. I believe them to be Gillettes, but I won't know for sure until I clean them. Problem is, I'm not sure of the best way to do that. I will probably start with scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush, but I didn't know if there was a better way.

Any suggestions?

scrubbing bubbles and toothbrush. I would then boil them if they are not gold plated, but others argue about whether or not this is necessary. If you plan on using them, then soak them in barbicide (available at Sallys or other beauty supply store) and then polish them using Maas. I did this with my vintage and they all turned out nicely. BUT, of course YMMV and others have other methods which will pop up I am sure.

+1 on the boiling but only for a couple minutes to loosen up any gunk tha might be in the handle and adjustment knobs.
Prolonged boiling could discolor the razor and Do Not Boil GOLD razors.
Scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush is also a great method.

So, scrubbing bubbles, slight boil, and scubbing bubbles to finish. Then sterilizewith barbicide.

I do use an ultrasonic cleaner myself but most people just don't have one around the house.

Good luck and please show us the results.

Top Bottom