What's new

PIF-Hot Sauces-Razors-Soaps-PIF

Ok, I have been thinking and thinking on what recipe to use for this PIF entry. I have selected my individual beef wellingtons as seen in this thread: What are you cooking for V-Day?

From there several people asked me to provide a recipe or tips and tricks. I will do both here. I don't have pictures of the individual steps, but I could do that if you would like, I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind a nice dinner Sunday haha.

This recipe is for two individual wellingtons, which is quite a meal! Please scale up if you have more than two, but I would think that if you have more than two a traditional wellington would be easier!
A good bit of the recipe can be done before hand which makes the final prep that much easier, doing it all at once is quite time consuming and kind of a symphony of events. I would recommend doing the mushroom duxelles and searing of the steak ahead of time, up to even the night before.

Mushroom Duxelles Ingredients:
1/2lb. mushrooms (I used a combo of button and baby bellas)
2T butter, divided
3T finely chopped shallot
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2t dried thyme
1/4c dry vermouth (dry white wine will work as well)

Mushroom Duxelles Recipe:
1) Finely chop mushrooms in a food processor
2) Transfer mushrooms out to a clean cotton towel (use one you don’t care about)
3) Twist towel around mushrooms and wring out as much juice as you can (do this over a sink)
4) Heat a large skillet on medium to medium-high
5) Melt 1T butter in pan then add mushrooms, shallots, S&P, and thyme
6) Stirring frequently, cook until mushrooms appear dry and begin to brown (~5mins)
7) Stir in remaining butter and when melted add the vermouth
8) Stir frequently until vermouth has evaporated
9) Remove and cool
10) Store in refrigerator until ready for use

Beef Wellington Ingredients:
2 beef tenderloin fillets (cut to whatever thickness you like, I go for at least 1.5”)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive Oil
Mushroom Duxelles from above
1 package Parma ham or prosciutto
2 sheets of puff pastry (needs time to defrost, check your package instructions)
2 egg yolks beaten

Beef Wellington Recipe:
1) Heat large skillet on medium-high heat and add 2t olive oil.
2) Season the fillets with S&P
3) Sear fillets on all sides then remove from pan to cool (you don’t want to actually cook the steak just sear the outsides)
4) Roll out a large sheet of plastic wrap for each wellington
5) Lay out half a package of parma ham with the edges just over lapping on each sheet of plastic wrap
6) Spread half of mushroom duxelles on the ham for each wellington (should be a thin layer)
7) Place cooled fillets on mushroom duxelles
8) Using the plastic wrap, wrap the ham and duexlles around the fillets (Take your time here, you want this to be a very tight wrap with no duexlles spilling out the sides of the ham. You will twist the ends of the plastic wrap to make it as tight of a package as you can)
9) Place the wrapped fillets in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes (this sets everything up so it can be wrapped with the puff pastry easily)
10) Preheat oven to 400F
11) Lightly flour your working surface and roll out the puff pastry sheets
12) Unwrap the fillets from the plastic wrap (discard plastic wrap) and place on the puff pastry sheets in the center
13) Cut roughly a 2”x2” square of the pastry out of each corner so that you are left with a cross shape with the fillet in the center (you want the pastry to be just larger than the fillet, use your best judgment on the exact size square to take out of each corner)
14) Brush beaten egg yolk mixture on the pastry then fold two opposing sides up and connect them on top of the fillet then do the same for the remaining two opposing sides
15) Flip the fillet over onto your baking sheet (so that all the pastry seams are down)
16) Brush the top with beaten egg yolk and lightly score the tops diaganonly
17) If you want to get creative, use the leftover pastry from the cut out corners to make a shape and add it to the middle of the top of the fillet, then brush this with the beaten egg yolk
18) Put in the oven and bake at 400F for 25-35 minutes (the pastry should be golden brown and if you have a thermometer, the beef should be roughly 120F for medium rare)
19) Pull out of the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving
20) ENJOY!!

The recipe really looks harder than it is, most of it is just timing and being ready for the next step! I can't over emphasize how much easier it is if you prepare the duxelles and sear the steak ahead of time! This is an amazing dish that I honestly love making for special occasions.

$wellington 1.JPG$wellington 2.JPG

I do individual beef wellingtons as well - although I use an olive tapenade vice mushrooms/liver (my wife hates liver and loves mushrooms, I love liver but hate mushrooms, but we both love olives!). I've tried it using puffed pastry, and shortcutting with Pillsbury grands (one large cylinder) and just rolling it out. If you want to do it last minute - there's a little difference between the two, but you don't have to wait for the grands to defrost, and it comes out pretty close...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Stellar!!! I know someone's happy around here that you posted the recipe:a14:. I think the tenderloin is perfect for this recipe. Great job!! Are those hearts on top baked into the pastry?

......Saved, Copied and printed.

Last edited:
@Cory- I hadn't ever thought of using grands, but there is no reason why that wouldn't work just as well! The olive tapenade sounds really good too, both the wife and I love olives, so we might try that next time. Thank you for the contribution!

@Aaron- Please let me know if you try it, I would love to know others thoughts on the recipe! The bottoms still get a bit soggy, but the rest more than makes up for it! With regard to the hearts, I cut those freehand out of the scraps of left over pastry, then I just place them on top and brush a little more egg yolk on them. They make the wife smile and that's what they are there for! BTW, thank you so much for doing such an epic PIF, this is by far the coolest idea for one that I have seen in my two years hanging out around here!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
@Aaron- Please let me know if you try it, I would love to know others thoughts on the recipe! The bottoms still get a bit soggy, but the rest more than makes up for it! With regard to the hearts, I cut those freehand out of the scraps of left over pastry, then I just place them on top and brush a little more egg yolk on them. They make the wife smile and that's what they are there for! BTW, thank you so much for doing such an epic PIF, this is by far the coolest idea for one that I have seen in my two years hanging out around here!

Brian,

I'm somewhat confused about the 2"x2" cut out of the pastry. I can't picture that in my head.

Could you place the wellington on a cookie sheet metal rack to help with the sogginess on bottom while cooking?

As for the PIF idea, thanks. I've been thinking about what I could do inside the Mess Hall for some time. Maybe even draw some members over who don't post here often. I'll probably add one more (or two) item/s to the list later.

Brian,

I'm somewhat confused about the 2"x2" cut out of the pastry. I can't picture that in my head.

Could you place the wellington on a cookie sheet metal rack to help with the sogginess on bottom while cooking?

As for the PIF idea, thanks. I've been thinking about what I could do inside the Mess Hall for some time. Maybe even draw some members over who don't post here often. I'll probably add one more (or two) item/s to the list later.

Aaron, I looked on Google to find this image to describe this step, it's truly one of those cases where a picture is worth a thousand words! Sorry I didn't have one of my own handy! They do things a bit different than I do, as I wrap the duexlles in the parma ham where they look like they just set it all down in layers on the pastry sheet. Also I would coat all of that pastry with egg yolk prior to folding up.

If you don't cut the corners out you are left with WAY too much dough, its almost more than enough as it is!

$Wellington 3.jpg

With regard to the cookie sheet rack, yes that may work better, I have read about doing that, I just haven't tried. The sogginess is very minor not like some of the horror stories I have seen or read about with wellingtons.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Whoa, that's a great idea for bottling your sauce. You didn't even need to sterilize the bottle first. :thumbup1:

Now you need to go and post all this again in the "Hot Sauce Junkie" thread.

Edit: Can't have a sauce without naming it.

Last edited:
Just finished adding pictures to my pad Thai post. Waiting to see if anyone mocks my electric wok:thumbup:

Okay now to eat it!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ha, ha....nah it didn't ruin your chances. I laughed hard, then stole the cat picture for further use on this forum, so thanks. :thumbup1:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Great PIF Aaron.
I'm not in but will leave a recipe here anyway.

Malaysian Beef Randang. This is a almost a dry curry.

2 Onions Chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic
5 Red Chillies, seeded
1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 cups (500ml/16 fl oz) coconut milk
1 Tablespoon oil
1 Tablespoon ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1kg / 2lb Beef Chuck cubed
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon tamarind paste.

blend onion, garlic, chillies, ginger and 2 tablespoons of coconut milk to make a paste,
Heat oil in a large pan/pot add paste, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, chilli powder, lemon zest and steak. Stir to coat well.
Add the remaining coconut milk and bring to the boil, then simmer over low heat for approx. 1.5 hours or until the meat is tender and the mixture is almost dry.
When the oil start to separate from the gravy add the brown sugar, lemon juice and tamarind. Stir in and heat.

$20150418_182237.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
^^^Chris this recipe reminds me of carne guisada but with Indian spices. I bet it would go great in a folded up naan bread or even a flour tortilla with some hot sauce, a sprig of cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

So I am not sure if this will qualify or not but who realy cares. Just thought I would share it anyway. The wife does most of the cooking inside and since she is Italian...my waist seems to get larger each day. I do most of the cooking on a pit. So what I would like to share with you is Don's BBQ rub. It works great on ribs or pork butt, but really I have used it on chicken, beef, fish, and other...don't ask about what other is. My friends really like it and family members ask for it. It's really nothing special but it gets attention. So here it goes:

3/4 cup Sweet Paprika (It really should be Hungarian Sweet Paprika...really can't substitute here)
1 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Salt (Pref. Kosher but sea salt will do also...try to avoid table salt)
1 tablespoon Celery Salt
1 1/2 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
1 tablespoon Black pepper
1 tablespoon Dry Mustard
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 tablespoon Onion Powder

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix with a whisk or a fork until all brown sugar lumps are out and rub is mixed evenly.

Makes a full pint mason jar and maybe a little more.

I put mine in a shaker and apply liberaly to what ever meat I choose.

Oh...and did I mention...I'm in! See pic below...

$PART_1429393588495_20150418_164534.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom